Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 05:34 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,440,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
They did that immediately.
No, they gave her a partial refund. She should have been given a full refund, and I think she should absolutely sue for damages - the sperm bank was negligent and in breach of contract. What kind of professional, medical group keeps only paper records in 2011, and then doesn't quadruple check everything to make sure they are doing their job?

Who among you would want a medical professional looking at your chart thinking "Is that a 3 or an 8? Oh well, close enough."

Last edited by MoonBeam33; 09-05-2015 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: I spelled doing dong, lol.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:02 PM

928 posts, read 970,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Says she is owed damages because the baby isn't White and thus has to deal with issues faced by Blacks. Court said No.

Seem's odd that relatives & friends would accept Lesbians but would not accept a bi-racial baby.

Court throws out lesbian mom's lawsuit over sperm donor mix up: Woman claims she was left with bi-racial child she didn't want after being given black man's sperm when she asked for 'blonde, blue-eyed baby'
A racist lez, wow! How will she explain this to her child.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:11 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
No, they gave her a partial refund. She should have been given a full refund, and I think she should absolutely sue for damages - the sperm bank was negligent and in breach of contract. What kind of professional, medical group keeps only paper records in 2011,
Most of them. Only a minority do digitized record-making and keeping even in 2015.

Quote:
and then doesn't quadruple check everything to make sure they are doing their job?
Quadruple checks? Few of them.

And damages have to be specified. What are the specific damages?

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 09-05-2015 at 06:29 PM..

Old 09-05-2015, 06:13 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,521,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
No, they gave her a partial refund. She should have been given a full refund, and I think she should absolutely sue for damages - the sperm bank was negligent and in breach of contract. What kind of professional, medical group keeps only paper records in 2011, and then doesn't quadruple check everything to make sure they are doing their job?

Who among you would want a medical professional looking at your chart thinking "Is that a 3 or an 8? Oh well, close enough."
What kind of person pays to select the race of their child?

Old 09-05-2015, 06:14 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,521,448 times
Who among you would want to be the child of a person who having paid someone for sperm, complained about the result?

Old 09-05-2015, 06:33 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Pretty much everyone, in a manner of speaking. For most people, if they want a child of the same race that they are, they will procreate with a person of that same race. Or, if they adopt, they will only accept a child of that race (if adopting domestically) or adopt from a country whose people are of the desired race. Why should it be any different at a sperm bank?

A sperm bank is a business, and if this business did not deliver the "product" that the customer ordered, it should make it right.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:48 PM

828 posts, read 908,442 times
Racism has nothing to do with this. I think some of you forming that conclusion need a lesson on cause and effect.

It's like you can't use the word "black" or "white" without being considered racist. What kind of a dumb world do we have here?

I'm sure she loves and adores her child. And I'm sure she doesn't love her any less that she's biracial. That doesn't mean the clinic isn't guilty of negligence. I'd venture to say they are pretty damn stupid for not settling the case quietly and without drama.

When you go to a sperm bank, you make clear your requirements and you pony up a small fortune. Some people pick donors from catalogs. Let's say you picked donor #5, and he's white. The bank gives you the sperm of donor #9, who's also white. You discover their breach. Would you be mad as hell or not? Like a poster above me said, how do you not have a foolproof system in place so as not to commit such an error? This is a life, for crying out loud. And it affects a hold bunch of people's lives--the couple, the child, and maybe the donors'.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
They paid for sperm from a specific donor they selected. That's how it works. Do you really think women go into sperm banks and just get whatever is on tap that day?

When a woman or couple go to a sperm bank they go through a selection process, and they should get what they selected and only what they selected. Anything else is breach of contract and negligence.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Most of them. Only a minority do digitized record-making and keeping even in 2015.

Quadruple checks? Few of them.

And damages have to be specified. What are the specific damages?
So when I go to the doctor's office, and they enter everything in the computer, where does it go?

When I have gone in for surgeries I have been asked by multiple people to confirm what procedure I was there for, who I was to make sure my ID bracelet and their information matched, what part of the body the procedure would be on, any allergies I had, etc. This is how they double and triple check themselves, by making sure they have the right person, right procedure, right body part, etc.

Cataloging sperm or eggs should be no different. If anything it should be more rigorous.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:18 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,473,484 times
Aside from the awful misfortune of the mix up, what I found interesting was the mother's explanation of the problem with getting the child's hair cut. She stated that:

“To get a decent cut, Jennifer must travel to a black neighborhood, far from where she lives, where she is obviously different in appearance, and not overtly welcome.”

“I don’t want her to ever feel like she’s an outcast,” Cramblett told NBC News.

So, the child will be discriminated against by black people, because she's black? I've seen a picture of the toddler and she looks black - 'different in appearance' how? Lighter complexion? Sorry, there is a wide spectrum of colors in the black experience - from WHITE to BLACK.

I call BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events