Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 12:22 PM

15,867 posts, read 21,460,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
People get easily offended by anything these days. What I find silly is the notion of Jews being offended, when as many poles did perish in German hands as well yet you don't hear them reminding you of that any possible time.
Clearly you've never been to Auschwitz if that's your perception.

Furthermore, it's a little different when 90%+ of the Jewish population in many European countries was systematically murdered compared to what happened in Poland. Still horrible, but you can't compare the scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 12:55 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,586,822 times
Isnt the entire place a reminder of what happened? If you're so easily offended then maybe you should not visit such a place.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:02 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,390,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Isnt the entire place a reminder of what happened? If you're so easily offended then maybe you should not visit such a place.
^This^. It was my first thought also.

Like the other poster said, some people go out of their way to find something to be offended about.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:06 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,786,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Some people are always on the look-out for something to be "offended" about.
I see no reason to give them publicity.
I agree and acknowledge I contributed by opening the link.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:23 PM

8,074 posts, read 12,799,949 times
I swear that some people are actively HUNTING for things to be offended by. They would rather have others suffer in the heat while in line than have mist coolers set up.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:29 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,972,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
Israelis seem to be easily offended, yawn.....
Lets throw your family on a cattle car for days, then round them up, tear them apart from each other, while you go off to work til you die, while you watch your children and wife be humiliated by being forced to strip naked, then marched into a chemical "shower".

You have no idea what those poor people went through, therefore your couch-dwelling butt best be quiet.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:45 PM

575 posts, read 617,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Couldn't it also be argued that going to Auschwitz as a tourist is in bad taste, as well? Thousands of people were murdered there. It's not the Grand Canyon.
yeah, crass like visiting the USS Arizona or the 9/11 memorial or the tomb of the unknown soldier.

Even by C-D standards, most of the responses in this thread are clueless.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:46 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,346,879 times
What becomes of Auschwitz is of course the business of the Polish government. To my mind, it is an appropriate memorial site -- and a very moving one.

On the other hand, the National Holocaust Museum in Washington, DC, standing on the Federal Mall, surrounded by institutions and memorials of American achievement and excellence, is NOT apprpriate. America's only connection to the Holocaust was our efforts to end it and destroy the Nazis. Such a place of cruelty, horror and shame belongs in the place where it occurred -- such as Auschwitz.

Last edited by Yeledaf; 09-08-2015 at 02:21 PM..

Old 09-08-2015, 01:47 PM

27,668 posts, read 16,160,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
People get easily offended by anything these days. What I find silly is the notion of Jews being offended, when as many poles did perish in German hands as well yet you don't hear them reminding you of that any possible time.
Visitors to the holodomor museum were offended when lunch was not served. Ukrainian 'Holodomor' (man-made famine) Facts and History Still scratching my head as to why I dont hear about this every week of my life.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:40 PM

844 posts, read 1,064,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Clearly you've never been to Auschwitz if that's your perception.

Furthermore, it's a little different when 90%+ of the Jewish population in many European countries was systematically murdered compared to what happened in Poland. Still horrible, but you can't compare the scale.
Atually I went there three years ago. What did happen to Jews was despicable, but Poland suffered as much. I'm not condoning anything, but concentration camps were only about killing Jews, many more people other than them encountered death there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events