Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 12:32 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times

Advertisements

JerseyGirl415, coming in late and not interested in discussions of types of marriage, but your initial statement only shows your own prejudices coming to the fore. It's not okay to be prejudiced against the left handed but it's okay to be prejudiced against Oklahomans? (Prejudice, bigotry, etc., basically being defined as painting an entire large group of people with a single brush, which you did and which the teacher in question did.)

I know, I know, everyone needs someone to be prejudiced against, they need to express that tribal instinct, and for some liberals it is the South and Texas (not the same thing at all, by the way), just like for some conservatives it is liberals and for some liberals it is conservative.

That teacher, if the story is accurate, is crazy. There are crazy teachers everywhere, in every state, maybe even in every school district, and have been since I was in school back in the 1950's. Some of them are crazy some ways and some are crazy other ways, but I think we all (well, most of us) recognize crazy when it appears whatever form it might take.

As for New Jersey teachers, a simple google turns up all sorts of stories from the teacher who was late 111 times in two years and blamed it on breakfast (not on not getting up in time to have breakfast AND get to school) to the teacher who paid a male student for sexually provocative photos, to a lot of other things. I could say, "Well, of course, New Jersey, who wouldn't expect that it was from there," but I know better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 12:36 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
JerseyGirl415, coming in late and not interested in discussions of types of marriage, but your initial statement only shows your own prejudices coming to the fore. It's not okay to be prejudiced against the left handed but it's okay to be prejudiced against Oklahomans? (Prejudice, bigotry, etc., basically being defined as painting an entire large group of people with a single brush, which you did and which the teacher in question did.)

I know, I know, everyone needs someone to be prejudiced against, they need to express that tribal instinct, and for some liberals it is the South and Texas (not the same thing at all, by the way), just like for some conservatives it is liberals and for some liberals it is conservative.

That teacher, if the story is accurate, is crazy. There are crazy teachers everywhere, in every state, maybe even in every school district, and have been since I was in school back in the 1950's. Some of them are crazy some ways and some are crazy other ways, but I think we all (well, most of us) recognize crazy when it appears whatever form it might take.

As for New Jersey teachers, a simple google turns up all sorts of stories from the teacher who was late 111 times in two years and blamed it on breakfast (not on not getting up in time to have breakfast AND get to school) to the teacher who paid a male student for sexually provocative photos, to a lot of other things. I could say, "Well, of course, New Jersey, who wouldn't expect that it was from there," but I know better.
I'm not prejudiced against Oklahomans. I'm simply saying that Oklahoma is a more conservative and religious state. If someone form anywhere was going to say what this teacher did, I would expect it from a state like OK and not a state like MA, as I said earlier, for example. It doesn't mean everyone from OK would say this, and I absolutely don't think that. It doesn't mean someone form MA wouldn't. But it's an opinion I have based on the fact that OK is conservative and religious (Bible Belt) and I would expect this kind of stuff form that state before another that is the opposite of Oklahoma.

There is no basis for you to say "it's NJ, I would expect it from there" regarding a teacher being late. What stats are there out of NJ about lateness? Does religion coincide with lateness? Conservatism? Liberalism? Being more Jewish? I was linking conservatism and religiousness with a statement based out of an old religious idea, in a state that is very conservative and religious. I did not mean offense.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 09-23-2015 at 12:57 PM..

Old 09-23-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Further View Post
Anyone here seem to find that this happened in "The Bible Belt" a bit anticipated? I guess thats what happens when we as a nation allow religious extremists to attempt to dictate common sense. What bothers me is the fact I think this going on at a larger scale right now, but just can't put my finger on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Oklahoma? What a shock...

I know of no teacher who would say such a thing - they would, of course, treat children of same-sex parents just as they would treat any other children. And empirical studies have repeatedly demonstrated that children raised by same-sex couples do just as well as children raised by opposite-sex couples (a reality that I'm guessing you either dislike or outright deny).
Is it not okay that these two said it also, or is it just not okay if I say it? Looks like I'm not the only one who made the simple connection between more religion/conservatism and this type of comment. I really meant no offense. I have no doubt OK has people who would laugh at this teacher's comment and call her crazy just like we are. If anyone can show me a stat proving me wrong regarding the level of OK's conservatism and religiousness, I will take back what I said and apologize. Until then, I stand by it.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:49 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Is it not okay that these two said it also, or is it just not okay if I say it? Looks like I'm not the only one who made the simple connection between more religion/conservatism and this type of comment. I really meant no offense. I have no doubt OK has people who would laugh at this teacher's comment and call her crazy just like we are. If anyone can show me a stat proving me wrong regarding the level of OK's conservatism and religiousness, I will take back what I said and apologize. Until then, I stand by it.
But do you understand why it's offensive?

I'm from Texas so I see plenty of the same thing about Texans on here and it's ridiculous.

Every state has stereotypes. You're Catholic from New Jersey, so can I assume you associate with the mafia? If there were a story about a mobster in NJ, would it be okay for me to say "Of course it was NJ. Things like that don't happen in Texas."

Old 09-23-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
But do you understand why it's offensive?

I'm from Texas so I see plenty of the same thing about Texans on here and it's ridiculous.

Every state has stereotypes. You're Catholic from New Jersey, so can I assume you associate with the mafia? If there were a story about a mobster in NJ, would it be okay for me to say "Of course it was NJ. Things like that don't happen in Texas."
Well, chances are they don't. That doesn't offend me in the slightest. Like what I said about OK, it's not based on a stereotype, it's based on a statistic. NJ has a very high number of Italian-Americans. TX does not. You'll be much more likely to find mobsters in NJ than TX.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:54 PM

233 posts, read 250,873 times
Quote:
Well, chances are they don't. That doesn't offend me in the slightest. Like what I said about OK, it's not based on a stereotype, it's based on a statistic. NJ has a very high number of Italian-Americans. TX does not. You'll be much more likely to find mobsters in NJ than TX.
What "statistic"? That more conservatives live in Oklahoma? If that is your statistical fact (and it may very well be true)...what is the point you are trying to make? That conservatives or religious people are stupid? It was ONE person...ONE teacher. How many folks live in Oklahoma? Really...the story seems to have succeeded in it's purpose.....to rile those that read it and to denigrate Christians. And that is just my opinion and how I see it.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:07 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
I'm not prejudiced against Oklahomans. I'm simply saying that Oklahoma is a more conservative and religious state. If someone form anywhere was going to say what this teacher did, I would expect it from a state like OK and not a state like MA, as I said earlier, for example. It doesn't mean everyone from OK would say this, and I absolutely don't think that. It doesn't mean someone form MA wouldn't. But it's an opinion I have based on the fact that OK is conservative and religious (Bible Belt) and I would expect this kind of stuff form that state before another that is the opposite of Oklahoma.

There is no basis for you to say "it's NJ, I would expect it from there" regarding a teacher being late. What stats are there out of NJ about lateness? Does religion coincide with lateness? Conservatism? Liberalism? Being more Jewish? I was linking conservatism and religiousness with a statement based out of an old religious idea, in a state that is very conservative and religious. I did not mean offense.
The prejudiced very rarely acknowledge their own prejudice, even if it's obvious to those around them. Here's what you actually said:

Quote:
Let's just say there are no teachers in NJ who would say this.

Location, location, location doesn't just apply to buying real estate...
That is not "simply saying that Oklahoma is a more conservative and religious state", and if you were honest, even with yourself, you'd acknowledge that.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:49 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,493,317 times
I am now ambidextrous.

WHY?

Because WHen I was learning to write in school, the teacher I had could only get behind a student who was right handed to show them how to write with their right hand as she was right handed"....

MY MOTHER told her NOT to correct me as she noticed I did things left handedly, but i was corrected all through school! until I wrote right handed, and well enough they could read it..

Is it any wonder, I EAT left-handedly, but write {scribble is more like it} with my right hand?

I CAN write left handed, but predominately write right-handed, most things are geared for right-handedness.

I f I am doing things, I use either hand, as if it is on the left side, I use left hand, if on right I used right hand. Simple to me, complicated to the right-handed world!

I say DO NOT CORRECT a lefty, it CONFUSES them!

I have spent all my life confused.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:55 PM

4,868 posts, read 6,933,785 times
Being left handed has to be evil. Especially if they possess a 95+ mph tailing fastball and a sweeping curve.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:07 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,381,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
An Oklahoma teacher tells a pre k 4 year old that being left handed is evil and sinister.

Oklahoma Pre-K teacher allegedly calls being left-handed ‘evil’ and ‘sinister’ | KFOR.com
Someone should remind this teacher that quite a few of our recent Presidents were/are left-handed. But perhaps, depending on your political point of view, that may not be a good example of "being a lefty is perfectly alright".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events