Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 06:33 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
The TSA agent sounded very crass: "If you are a man, then go back in the machine and we'll run you as a man." and that was followed by "If you don't want to be run as a man, we'll have to search you. Are you a man or a woman?"

The issue I see here is not the fact that she identifies as a woman while still having a penis, but the rude reaction/response from the TSA agent. She's not just some dude in a dress, and transgenderism is something has existed for a very long time. It's not something that was concocted on a whim.

Oh! I beg to differ. That's exactly what "he" is a dude in a dress. Fact!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 06:39 PM

273 posts, read 240,981 times
Personally I think it is terrible. It is becoming more of the norm and I think people need to start accepting there are people who fit into this category. Young teens often commit suicide because they don't feel like they fit in this place where it is clearly defined as male and female. Why can't people be open minded and realize that everything doesn't fit into a neat box. God. Let people be who they want and stop shaming and humiliating them for that choice.

So, I think the security person was ignorant and not culturally aware.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:40 PM

273 posts, read 240,981 times
Personally I think it is terrible. It is becoming more of the norm and I think people need to start accepting there are people who fit into this category. Young teens often commit suicide because they don't feel like they fit in this place where it is clearly defined as male and female. Why can't people be open minded and realize that everything doesn't fit into a neat box. God. Let people be who they want and stop shaming and humiliating them for that choice.

Why can't there be another choice?

Old 09-22-2015, 06:44 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
It is now possible in several states and or local areas to obtain a drivers license or locally issued ID based upon gender "identity" rather than what is below the waist. Ditto for a US passport since the Obama administration changed rules. Thus it is very possible for someone to present ID that says "female" and may even convincingly look as one, however when the required scanning/pat down is done.....

The trans should have just gotten over it; things are what they are and the guard had job to do. The guy doesn't know what is down there and has to deal with various rules, regulations and various "feel good" policies designed so the often offended, aren't.

It is not unheard of for female (real) to smuggle contraband via the vaginal orifice. The guard saw something that shouldn't have been there on a normal female. Now if this were a real woman and she had a vary large sanitary pad that slipped or god only knows what else that could have been explained and female officer would search. OTOH again for various reasons mentioned already if this is a biological male a female guard may balk at getting all up close with his junk. Bottom line the law requires TSA agents to search and that is what they are going to do.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:53 PM

3 posts, read 2,113 times
I thought it worked like this: you need to see a doctor and get a psychological evaluation before you are legally a transgender otherwise calling yourself a transgender does not have any legal grounds in situations such as this or determining basic things such as which restroom you should be using.

So if she/he has not been legally declared a transgender then she/he should have went through with the standard male evaluation as law would dictate. If, however, she/he has been legally declared a transgender and the TSA agents refused to let her/him go through as a woman, it's a lawsuit.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:13 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,892,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindlessness View Post

How would you deal with the situation and not risk any security violation?

Old 09-22-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiMai View Post
I thought it worked like this: you need to see a doctor and get a psychological evaluation before you are legally a transgender otherwise calling yourself a transgender does not have any legal grounds in situations such as this or determining basic things such as which restroom you should be using.

So if she/he has not been legally declared a transgender then she/he should have went through with the standard male evaluation as law would dictate. If, however, she/he has been legally declared a transgender and the TSA agents refused to let her/him go through as a woman, it's a lawsuit.
TSA did not deny that right to her, they rang her as a female through the scanner, they were willing to assign a female agent to perform a pat down test as she would do to any female.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:22 PM

3 posts, read 2,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
TSA did not deny that right to her, they rang her as a female through the scanner, they were willing to assign a female agent to perform a pat down test as she would do to any female.
Then she's just attention whoring. Sad really as people like that would give legitimate transgenders a bad reputation.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiMai View Post
Then she's just attention whoring. Sad really as people like that would give legitimate transgenders a bad reputation.
Not necessarily, she might be really just upset with the whole incident, so she shared her story. But there isn't no ground for a legal action (unless there was something else)

I wouldn't question her legitimacy as being a legitimate transgender though

Old 09-22-2015, 08:06 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,288,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindlessness View Post

I think [the majority of] people realize that transgender people are real. It's quite obvious that they are. (Personally, I think transgender people's feelings are valid. It's just that their feelings don't match reality--it's a mental problem.)

The problems arise when transgender people don't see the reality of their situation--and when other people support their false reality. Their situation is that they are biologically a certain gender, and that biology comes with certain rules (TSA, restrooms, etc).

There will be fewer problems if transgender people are given proper mental health support, so that they can truly deal with their reality. Pretending that this psychosis is normal isn't helping anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events