Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 08:26 AM

32,032 posts, read 36,829,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
And did he have to act? We don't know that he did. He could have got in his car and driven away ... which he did anyway.
He had no way of knowing whether the thugs might come after him next, so he decided to take pro-active defensive action.

Yes, a fellow got shot in the head but would anybody be complaining if he drowned in a swimming pool?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 08:30 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,003,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
He had no way of knowing whether the thugs might come after him next, so he decided to take pro-active defensive action.

Yes, a fellow got shot in the head but would anybody be complaining if he drowned in a swimming pool?
You can't just run around shooting people because you think they "might" attack you.

Also, "swimming pool", WTF? What are you even talking about?

Old 09-29-2015, 08:33 AM

28,687 posts, read 18,825,363 times
Quote:
There's another aspect of this that is being overlooked. The good guy with the gun had no way of knowing whether the thugs would come after him next. So he was left in a "fight 'em over there vs. fight 'em over here" situation. Under those circumstances his decision to go ahead and take them down looks pretty smart.

It's easy for us to sit here and armchair quarterback this situation but this man had to act under tremendous pressure.
Only if he had a better truck.

No, he was not in such a situation--he was not a target, and if the thugs failed on their first target he had plenty of time to react to whatever else they would do (which would likely have been to run away). In that time, he should have first been calling 911, inasmuch as no shots were being fired and he wasn't even personally involved.

The big problem here is that he hadn't really thought any further than "taking out the bad guys" in any scenario.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:04 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,646,990 times
As a CHL holder, I can tell you right now that I'm not about to get into a gun fight to stop some property crime going on at a gas station. I think that holds true with most CHL holders. My guess is that the shooter didn't even have a CHL.

That being said, it's hard to say what I may have done in this situation. According to some reports, the carjacking suspects were beating the vehicle owner. Now, hypothetically, if the crooks were attacking the man with something like a bat or tire iron, I could see how some people might say you should intervene if you are armed and feel the victim's life might be in danger.

Did the "good guy" yell at the men to stop the beating? Did he first fire a warning shot in the air (which I'm not saying is what should have been done)? Well, we know very little about the situation.

At this time, the reports simply say a man was being beaten as carjackers demand his keys. Another person fired shots and the victim was struck in the head. The shooter picked up his shell casings and fled the scene. Everything else is conjecture.

Technically, we don't even know if this "good guy" was even a "good guy". Is it possible he was part of the robbery as a lookout and then shot at the victim when the victim began to fight back? Sure, that is possible.

I think this thread and a lot of the statements made on it are fairly asinine since we have so little information.

Carry on.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:16 AM

17,608 posts, read 13,397,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'm pro gun and not even sure I can get on board with this.

He intervened and shot the victim in the head and you want to give him a high five?
So true....ALWAYS know your target before putting finger on trigger. KNOW what is in front and what is behind target. Never place your finger on trigger unless you have a clean shot.

And, like another poster said: this is not a paper target at a range with a bullet collector behind the target.

Real life and range are not the same. The "helper" needs to be charged. This is more than a negligent discharge

And, YES, I AM PRO GUN!!

Old 09-29-2015, 09:25 AM

17,608 posts, read 13,397,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Hey, what that on the ground? Is that a CHERRY....maybe you should PICK it up...

???????????????????????

Old 09-29-2015, 10:02 AM

46,987 posts, read 26,041,916 times
Quote:
"Pro-active defensive action"? I hope you're not a defense lawyer.

Quote:
OK, you are having us on now. Nicely done. Poe's Law strikes again.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:05 AM

46,987 posts, read 26,041,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
If the victim had been carrying, the whole incident could have been averted.
He could have defended himself against the guy firing at him?

Old 09-29-2015, 10:07 AM

28,687 posts, read 18,825,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Technically, we don't even know if this "good guy" was even a "good guy". Is it possible he was part of the robbery as a lookout and then shot at the victim when the victim began to fight back? Sure, that is possible..
Hmmm.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:13 AM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times
We don't even know if the shooter was part of the group that jacked the truck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events