Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 03:17 PM

28,682 posts, read 18,816,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If I were in a Luby's in such a situation, I'd be hiding behind a table with my family with my gun at the ready. If the madman steps up, I open fire, center mass.

I want concealed carry so that when he steps around the corner, I'm ready to defend myself and my family. I don't want concealed carry to get in gun battle.

People need to realize that the vast majority of concealed carry supporters only want the ability to defend themselves and stop making the false assumption we want to get into an OK Corral.
Pretty much. If I'm with my family, for sure my primary and only concern for the moment is to get them out safely. Frankly, if the shooter is busy shooting someone else at the moment, that will give me a break to get my own family out while I'm making sure his attention is still directed elsewhere. I'm covering their escape, I am not going to do anything to draw his fire in the direction of my family.

As they get out the door, if I have a clear shot, I'll take it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 03:35 PM

32,031 posts, read 36,818,852 times
Quote:
If I were in a Luby's in such a situation, I'd be hiding behind a table with my family with my gun at the ready. If the madman steps up, I open fire, center mass.

I want concealed carry so that when he steps around the corner, I'm ready to defend myself and my family. I don't want concealed carry to get in gun battle.

People need to realize that the vast majority of concealed carry supporters only want the ability to defend themselves and stop making the false assumption we want to get into an OK Corral.
How often do those Luby's type situations come up? I'm talking about ones where there's a chance to take cover and then fire back? (I don't know, I'm just asking).

It seems like a good many of these mass shootings happen when somebody starts blazing away before anybody has a chance to take action.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:48 PM

46,322 posts, read 27,139,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7
You mean spray-and-pray in the direction of a victim?

Half the regulars at my local shooting range can't shoot for ****. Most probably need their prescription glasses updated and others just suck at hitting a 25 yard target on a sunny day. Most are also loudmouths who spew the usually 2A slogans all the time about a "good guy with a gun".

If a bad guy snuck into the range one day and held a gun to my head...I bet more than half would take a shot......which scares the hell out of me.

If I wind up in a situation, i'll take care of it myself.
They do? They run around saying, yea....I'm going to be a good guy with a gun someday?

I call bull crap.....but O.K.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Indeed.

They are members of the "All we need to solve this is more weapons and more gunfire!" crowd.

Of all the people I've been around handling weapons, a solid minority of them inspire confidence in me. The ones that do are generally low-key and look at a firearm as a tool, no different than a screwdriver or a chainsaw - a device for accomplishing a certain task. Invariably, the ones that do alarming things with firearms are the people who don't find them potentially useful, but rather they love them. They speak of them in almost reverential terms. They don't use them - they play with them. Firearms are not tools to them, they are toys. At worst, they are ideological props.

Somewhere in between are the slobs. The ones who can't go hunting without constantly saying "Huh?" while turning around and sweeping the entire hunting party with the barrels of their guns. The fools who will shoot at a sound in the brush. Every single time I've taken my son hunting with others, I've had to sit him down afterward and debrief him on all the things he saw done incorrectly.

If I'm ever being robbed, the last thing I want is Joe Sixpack whipping out his Glock while thinking "Cool! Now I finally get to use my CCL!".
So, I've asked before, can anyone show me where anyone has said these leftist memes?

Joe "sixpack" wild wild west.....

If I were the 2 of you, I would start hanging out with different friends.....or find another range...

I call BULL CRAP....on both posts....WOW....

Old 09-29-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
How often do those Luby's type situations come up? I'm talking about ones where there's a chance to take cover and then fire back? (I don't know, I'm just asking).

It seems like a good many of these mass shootings happen when somebody starts blazing away before anybody has a chance to take action.
One has to hope that the shooter shoots someone else first.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:56 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,640,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Pretty much. If I'm with my family, for sure my primary and only concern for the moment is to get them out safely. Frankly, if the shooter is busy shooting someone else at the moment, that will give me a break to get my own family out while I'm making sure his attention is still directed elsewhere. I'm covering their escape, I am not going to do anything to draw his fire in the direction of my family.

As they get out the door, if I have a clear shot, I'll take it.
Personally, I wouldn't make my family a moving target with their backs exposed.

I feel cover is very important and would rather have the perp expose himself to me than have my family exposed to him.

Quote:

I have no idea how often they come up, but I will say there are tons of stories of a person protecting himself/herself from a bad guy.

I posted a recent story of a woman who stopped at a gas station I use all of the time. A man with a knife jumped into her car. She stayed calm, grabbed her gun and shot him.

Woman fights back, shoots robber in Crosby | News - Home

Old 09-29-2015, 04:01 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,860,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm
I can hardly believe I'm reading this. A good guy with a gun shot this fellow in the head and that's a better outcome than having his car stolen?
No not at all!!!

Old 09-29-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't make my family a moving target with their backs exposed.
I would be covering their backs.

Quote:
I feel cover is very important and would rather have the perp expose himself to me than have my family exposed to him.
Depends on the situational factors, such as what the actual threat is, what cover is actually available (understanding the difference between cover and concealment), et cetera. A dark theater, for instance, poses a different situation from a well-lit restaurant. And even in the restaurant, where we're sitting relative to, say, the kitchen will also make a difference.

Generally speaking, it won't be my first tactic to wait for a shootout if there is reasonable opportunity for escape.

But my point is that my primary concern is the safety of my family, not "getting the bad guy."

Old 09-29-2015, 04:44 PM

10,071 posts, read 7,249,255 times
Quote:

Rarely. That kind of event is pretty rare in general, and the chance you will be at the wrong place at the wrong time is rarer still. Even rarer than that would you be in the position to do something. For example, there was a CCW at the 2011 Tucson shooting where Gabrille Giffords was shot. He drew his weapon but was not in the position to take a shot. Other people actually yelled at him to put his weapon away. Had he fired at the shooter he almost assuredly would have hit innocents. Most CCWs in a movie theater shooting situation would not be in a position to fire back because there wouldn't be adequate lighting, would be bystanders moving around, etc... - the CCW would need to be directly confronted to take a clean shot. A school is not a place where people typically pack heat and you have the risks associated with guns and children. All it takes is one teacher being negligent with his or her weapon, ie: putting in a desk drawer just for a few minutes while she goes to the bathroom, for a kid to get his hands on it and a tragic event to occur.

I look at CCW like an insurance policy for a rare event. In 99% of cases, living a normal middle class life is not going to put you into the situation to need to use it. If you use common sense and don't look for trouble, you probably won't find it. It's interesting to me that the people at lowest risk are the people that are most willing to concealed carry. I'm not against it, but at this time choose not to do it. Armed robberies and violent crimes are quite rare in my town and when they do occur, involve drugs 80% of the time, domestic disputes most of the rest. I get the sense of safety that it gives some people, though.

The risk you're trying to mitigate also needs to be weighed against the risks of having the weapon. The NRA doesn't allow much research to be done in this area, but I'd wager the risk of a human error accident with a weapon is higher than the risk of having your life in danger where the weapon would be the difference between life and death.

Of course, the risk of being a victim of violent crime DOES exist and varies based on location and context, so I'm not against people concealed carrying, but I think the risk is quite overstated and pushed by people with an agenda or profit motive, especially in a white-middle-class context where such crimes just happen less. I also think we need to increase the training and licensing requirements to concealed carry. In my state getting a CC permit is as simple as filling out an application, paying the fee, and sitting through a 4 hour class.

I was actually in a restaurant when a murder took place in the kitchen.... A dishwasher confronted one of the cooks about something. They got into a fight. He took a knife from the kitchen and cut the cook's throat. By the time I realized what had happened it was already pandemonium - all the staff running out of the kitchen in hysteria, the patrons starting to run out. The murderer ran out the back and was eventually caught by police later that night. From my vantage point there was nothing I could do, armed or not.

Last edited by redguard57; 09-29-2015 at 05:00 PM..

Old 09-29-2015, 04:51 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,640,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
In my state getting a CC permit is as simple as filling out an application, paying the fee, and sitting through a 4 hour class.
Is there a background check which would deny a CC to a person who has used a weapon in the commission of a crime?

Old 09-29-2015, 04:52 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,416,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Half the regulars at my local shooting range can't shoot for ****. Most probably need their prescription glasses updated and others just suck at hitting a 25 yard target on a sunny day. Most are also loudmouths who spew the usually 2A slogans all the time about a "good guy with a gun".
Sorry, calling BS. I am a member of the largest Boston area club. The regulars are pretty good shots. People dont regularly show up at gun ranges and shoot terribly. The regulars are helpful and skilled, often taking the time to helping new shooters (a rather diverse group I might add). I do not count myself among the regulars.

I would not want ANYBODY police swat or joe scmoe shooting in my direction in pretty much any circumstance. Unrested shooting is simply not that precise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events