Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 10:16 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times

Advertisements

If I am called upon to help in a situation my help is limited to my training to do so. reaching beyond that is liability.
In that case ,those with proper training is required.
However , where life and limb are at stake it is a fine line judgment call especially in a desperate situation the luxury of time is not available. then doing one's best is all one can ask for .
Even police accidentally shoot victims and it's part of the issue .
A fire caused by an arson is just arson until some one is injured as a result of the fire, than further charges are established. The car jacker is responsible for the shooting.
There are too many unknowns when things happen especially when sone one is attacking another in broads daylight or car jacking in this incident.
The man that stepped in to help was not assisting the car jacker , he was attempting to help the victim ,his motivation was good ,and had things worked out correctly we would not have even heard of the event.
People doing CPR have used old techniques and failed to revive the victim , are they at fault ?
people in desperate situations make mistakes that just happen . To punish these folk for stepping in is a miss carriage of justice, other wise your driving out those that might otherwise be there to save your butt some day.
It's no wonder fewer people want to be cops or ambulance attendants or any other service field. you liberals are so eager to blame and sue.
Not willing to take responsibility for your own security.
Fine go with out a gun, but don't expect any one to defend you that has one. Cops will always be there to write a report concerning the chalk line around your body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 10:18 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
He had no way of knowing whether the thugs might come after him next, so he decided to take pro-active defensive action.

Yes, a fellow got shot in the head but would anybody be complaining if he drowned in a swimming pool?
Read your post arjay and see if it shows rationale. Yes if he would have been shot while driving his car and went into a pool and drowned we would have been complaining. If he just drowned in a pool probably not as it wouldnt have made the national news..

Old 09-29-2015, 10:21 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
The man that stepped in to help was not assisting the car jacker , he was attempting to help the victim ,his motivation was good ,and had things worked out correctly we would not have even heard of the event. .
Actually, that is still just an assumption, although it's my opinion that it was most likely the case.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:27 AM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
I hope the shooter has an umbrella insurance policy, because if I was the victim I'd be lawyered up once I got out of the hospital. At the very least, I'd sue him for medical costs which are going to be substantial and long lasting - the rehab, therapy etc.. for a gunshot to the head.

I believe that in Texas now you can shoot someone while they're stealing property, buy I'm not sure about when it's someone else's property.

It would also depend on the details. If it was a violent carjacking and the shot stopped the assault, that's different. But if the shooter exacerbated the situation, its negligence on his part and he'll pay in a lawsuit.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:51 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I hope the shooter has an umbrella insurance policy, because if I was the victim I'd be lawyered up once I got out of the hospital. At the very least, I'd sue him for medical costs which are going to be substantial and long lasting - the rehab, therapy etc.. for a gunshot to the head.

I believe that in Texas now you can shoot someone while they're stealing property, buy I'm not sure about when it's someone else's property.

It would also depend on the details. If it was a violent carjacking and the shot stopped the assault, that's different. But if the shooter exacerbated the situation, its negligence on his part and he'll pay in a lawsuit.
I believe you are correct based on good recollection of the shooting years back in Houston metro when an elderly man saw 2 young men breaking into neighbors and shoot and killed them outside of the house and he was not convicted.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:31 AM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
pro-active defensive action.
You mean spray-and-pray in the direction of a victim?

Half the regulars at my local shooting range can't shoot for ****. Most probably need their prescription glasses updated and others just suck at hitting a 25 yard target on a sunny day. Most are also loudmouths who spew the usually 2A slogans all the time about a "good guy with a gun".

If a bad guy snuck into the range one day and held a gun to my head...I bet more than half would take a shot......which scares the hell out of me.

If I wind up in a situation, i'll take care of it myself.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:51 AM

28,668 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
If I am called upon to help in a situation my help is limited to my training to do so. reaching beyond that is liability.
In that case ,those with proper training is required.
However , where life and limb are at stake it is a fine line judgment call especially in a desperate situation the luxury of time is not available. then doing one's best is all one can ask for .
Even police accidentally shoot victims and it's part of the issue .
A fire caused by an arson is just arson until some one is injured as a result of the fire, than further charges are established. The car jacker is responsible for the shooting.
There are too many unknowns when things happen especially when sone one is attacking another in broads daylight or car jacking in this incident.
The man that stepped in to help was not assisting the car jacker , he was attempting to help the victim ,his motivation was good ,and had things worked out correctly we would not have even heard of the event.
People doing CPR have used old techniques and failed to revive the victim , are they at fault ?
people in desperate situations make mistakes that just happen . To punish these folk for stepping in is a miss carriage of justice, other wise your driving out those that might otherwise be there to save your butt some day.
It's no wonder fewer people want to be cops or ambulance attendants or any other service field. you liberals are so eager to blame and sue.
Not willing to take responsibility for your own security.
Fine go with out a gun, but don't expect any one to defend you that has one. Cops will always be there to write a report concerning the chalk line around your body.
Sorry, but the shooter lost the right to sympathy when he collected his brass and ran away. If they find him, I'm pretty sure that's going to be considered a crime.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:09 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I believe you are correct based on good recollection of the shooting years back in Houston metro when an elderly man saw 2 young men breaking into neighbors and shoot and killed them outside of the house and he was not convicted.
I recall that controversy. His name was John Horn. The police released the 911 call in which they told Mr. Horn not to shoot the burglars and they arrived less than 2 minutes after he shot them while they were outside. His defense was that he believed he was in danger, even though he stepped out of his home to shoot the 2 men.

The subject story is an entirely different case. A responsible person with a gun would never shoot while a victim was in harm's way. If a store is being robbed, you can't just start randomly shooting people, hoping you'll hit the thief without the possibility of killing or maiming an innocent bystander. Had the carjackers threatened the shooter without possibility of retreat, I would probably acquit him if I were on a jury. I am strongly against gun violence, but I would kill in self defense if I thought someone was going to inflict bodily harm.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:11 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
The shooter was trying to help but unfortunately he didn't. The innocent person could have died. Next time, leave the shooting to the authorities.
Authorities often shoot people they shouldn't.

Cars will soon have enough intelligence built in to drive themselves. There is no reason to believe guns won't have the same thing. Enough intelligence to shoot themselves.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:14 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
You mean spray-and-pray in the direction of a victim?

Half the regulars at my local shooting range can't shoot for ****. Most probably need their prescription glasses updated and others just suck at hitting a 25 yard target on a sunny day. Most are also loudmouths who spew the usually 2A slogans all the time about a "good guy with a gun".

If a bad guy snuck into the range one day and held a gun to my head...I bet more than half would take a shot......which scares the hell out of me.

If I wind up in a situation, i'll take care of it myself.
Indeed.

They are members of the "All we need to solve this is more weapons and more gunfire!" crowd.

Of all the people I've been around handling weapons, a solid minority of them inspire confidence in me. The ones that do are generally low-key and look at a firearm as a tool, no different than a screwdriver or a chainsaw - a device for accomplishing a certain task. Invariably, the ones that do alarming things with firearms are the people who don't find them potentially useful, but rather they love them. They speak of them in almost reverential terms. They don't use them - they play with them. Firearms are not tools to them, they are toys. At worst, they are ideological props.

Somewhere in between are the slobs. The ones who can't go hunting without constantly saying "Huh?" while turning around and sweeping the entire hunting party with the barrels of their guns. The fools who will shoot at a sound in the brush. Every single time I've taken my son hunting with others, I've had to sit him down afterward and debrief him on all the things he saw done incorrectly.

If I'm ever being robbed, the last thing I want is Joe Sixpack whipping out his Glock while thinking "Cool! Now I finally get to use my CCL!".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events