Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 05:46 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,866,474 times

Advertisements

Life < Property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 06:36 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
[url=http://www.macombdaily.com/general-news/20150921/updated-bank-robber-shot-by-customer-in-warren]I guess the lefties...oppssssss, anti gunners think this 63 year old should have fought him fist for fist....
I was talking to a friend of mine who's a retired bank executive just the other day about this. He said they'd discontinued armed security guards at all but a few locations.

However, they've got other deterrents like security cameras, dye packs, alarm systems, etc.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:52 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I was talking to a friend of mine who's a retired bank executive just the other day about this. He said they'd discontinued armed security guards at all but a few locations.

However, they've got other deterrents like security cameras, dye packs, alarm systems, etc.

Of course, and how many robberies has that deterred, not just in banks, but everywhere...

I mean, if what you say is true, then there never should have been the robbery in the first place, right?

Old 09-30-2015, 07:08 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times
Quote:
No doubt the anti-gun crowd will try to make hay with this.

Sure, a good guy with a gun inadvertently shot this fellow in the head, but otherwise his vehicle could have been stolen right out from under him and the bad guys could have gotten away.
Man carjacked, witness opens fire at gas station in NE Houston | News - Home
So this is a preemptive strike against the "anti-gun" crowd?

Ok--I'll play.

Good thing a dumb guy with a gun was around to attempt to stop the bad guys.

Now a guy who might have just had his car stolen has a hole in his head. Go NRA!!

Old 09-30-2015, 09:24 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,024,976 times
Of course there are instances where having a gun has stopped a crime - and protected life - no question - but there are many more incidents where the presence of a gun has made things worse. Just compare gun deaths with those in other developed countries - no comparison.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:58 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,315,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This scares me, too. When there are stories here about mass shootings such as in the movie theatres, someone always says "too bad the movie goers weren't all armed" and I just think, yes, that would have made it so much better, 50 armed panicked people all shooting at once in a dark theater.

I'm not anti-gun, but I am glad NJ's laws are stricter.
Great post!! Exactly!!

Old 10-01-2015, 09:15 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:

My guess would be the insurance costs for the robbery are lower than the costs of the liability of the security guards.

If you have a bank that is robbed and two of your employees are murdered by the robbers, unless there is some crazy extenuating circumstances, it would be difficult for the employee families to get much of a judgement against the bank. However, if a guard roughly handles a disruptive minority, you're going to see quite the judgment and insurance increase.

I believe the decision to remove guards is based upon financial concerns and not employee safety. That is must my opinion though.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:17 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Great post!! Exactly!!
Really? You are more afraid of a citizen attempting to stop a lunatic executing people than the person walking your way to execute you?

"Thank God that shark drug me underwater as it ate me, I was really concerned about the propeller of the rescue boat."

Old 10-01-2015, 09:22 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
My guess would be the insurance costs for the robbery are lower than the costs of the liability of the security guards. If you have a bank that is robbed and two of your employees are murdered by the robbers, unless there is some crazy extenuating circumstances, it would be difficult for the employee families to get much of a judgement against the bank. However, if a guard roughly handles a disruptive minority, you're going to see quite the judgment and insurance increase. I believe the decision to remove guards is based upon financial concerns and not employee safety. That is must my opinion though.
In the past few years I have seen fewer armed guards inside banks but I've seen more armed guards outside banks in the area where ATMs are located.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:43 AM

28,680 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
My guess would be the insurance costs for the robbery are lower than the costs of the liability of the security guards.

If you have a bank that is robbed and two of your employees are murdered by the robbers, unless there is some crazy extenuating circumstances, it would be difficult for the employee families to get much of a judgement against the bank. However, if a guard roughly handles a disruptive minority, you're going to see quite the judgment and insurance increase.

I believe the decision to remove guards is based upon financial concerns and not employee safety. That is must my opinion though.
I would agree that financial concerns rule.

A complainant would have to show that armed guards demonstrably reduces the probability of deaths occurring with robberies...and I'm sure the insurance companies have done the statistical calculations to prove that having no guards and just handing over the money is less dangerous to employees than armed guards trying to prevent it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events