Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 10:53 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
No doubt the anti-gun crowd will try to make hay with this.

Sure, a good guy with a gun inadvertently shot this fellow in the head, but otherwise his vehicle could have been stolen right out from under him and the bad guys could have gotten away.

Man carjacked, witness opens fire at gas station in NE Houston | News - Home
Make hay?
Why is it that facts offend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 11:13 AM

772 posts, read 914,534 times
I only read the first page, but lets back this train up a second here. What if, the guy with the gun had shot and killed the carjacker square in the head.. .. ..

Then what ?

If he would have gotten caught, he wouldn't have got the death penalty for grand theft auto .

We have a inocent guy who committed murder against someone who was, committing a felony ?

Old 09-30-2015, 11:16 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,089,978 times
Well, I just finished reading the whole thread and I saw nowhere in the thread that anybody could prove that the car owner was NOT in danger of losing his life from the two attacking him.

Given that, if you were nearby and armed and you thought the car owner was possibly about to lose his life to the attack, would you just turn and run?

Even though he was a poor shot and hit the victim in the head, he may have actually saved his life. We may never know, unless the victim comes out and says he was afraid he might have died otherwise.

I can understand the shooter's concern that, since he did shoot the victim, he was afraid for his own sake, and gathered evidence that might implicate him. Doesn't make it right, but sure makes more sense to me.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:20 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,089,978 times
What if one of the two carjackers had the victim on the hard asphalt repeatedly banging his head on the ground, before the shooter stopped the attack? Intent and outcome are not one in the same.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:26 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
What if one of the two carjackers had the victim on the hard asphalt repeatedly banging his head on the ground, before the shooter stopped the attack? Intent and outcome are not one in the same.
As long as we're spinning "what ifs," PedroMartinez had a more entertaining "what if:" What if the shooter was one of the hijackers, he intended to shoot the car owner, and he picked up his brass because he's a criminal.

...as long as we're spinning "what ifs."

Old 09-30-2015, 11:31 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,108,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
No doubt the anti-gun crowd will try to make hay with this.

Sure, a good guy with a gun inadvertently shot this fellow in the head, but otherwise his vehicle could have been stolen right out from under him and the bad guys could have gotten away.

Man carjacked, witness opens fire at gas station in NE Houston | News - Home
And rightly so.

The guy getting carjacked needed this gun owner's help, like he needed a hole in the head....

Please forgive me, I couldn't resist.

In all seriousness, God bless this victim.

I hope he makes a full recovery and sues the **** out of this gun-toting "good guy".

Old 09-30-2015, 11:53 AM

50,828 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
As long as we're spinning "what ifs," PedroMartinez had a more entertaining "what if:" What if the shooter was one of the hijackers, he intended to shoot the car owner, and he picked up his brass because he's a criminal.

...as long as we're spinning "what ifs."
That would actually be a good plan, I'm sorry to say!

Old 09-30-2015, 11:59 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I can understand the shooter's concern that, since he did shoot the victim, he was afraid for his own sake, and gathered evidence that might implicate him. Doesn't make it right, but sure makes more sense to me.
What makes sense to me is immediately rendering aid.

He didn't. He ran away. And that tells me all I need to know about his intent. He didn't care about the victim - he was all jazzed to finally have an excuse to start throwing lead at a human target. When he incompetently botched that, his immediate thought was to flee the scene, thereby breaking the law, and caring not one whit about what happened to the guy he shot in the head.

Why you feel so compelled to defend this self-absorbed idiot is beyond me.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:00 PM

50,828 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

He didn't. He ran away. And that tells me all I need to know about his intent. He didn't care about the victim - he was all jazzed to finally have an excuse to start throwing lead at a human target. When he incompetently botched that, his immediate thought was to flee the scene, thereby breaking the law, and caring not one whit about what happened to the guy he shot in the head.

Can't rep you again, but couldn't have been summarized better!

Old 09-30-2015, 12:42 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

Did you speak to the shooter and he told you this, or are you just making an assumption?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events