Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 09:21 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,584,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You assume that all religions are reasonable. But as we all know -- via the Westboro Baptist Church and radical Islam, they are not. In fact, since some interpret Islam as commanding that infidels be slain, I guess -- based on your reasoning -- that Muslims in your home town could slay you since you are an infidel.
If you are going to comment on my posts, then do me and all of us the favor of reading carefully.

I've already addressed the concepts of competing/conflicting rights and compelling interests. I suggest you do some research on those ideas and read the Constitution (or at least the 1st Amendment) if you wish to try to make clever jokes.

Otherwise, you appear foolish and ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 09:23 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,584,414 times
Quote:
You assume that all religions are reasonable.
I make no such assumption. In fact, I have stated above that I do not like religion.

Quote:
But as we all know -- via the Westboro Baptist Church and radical Islam, they are not. In fact, since some interpret Islam as commanding that infidels be slain, I guess -- based on your reasoning -- that Muslims in your home town could slay you since you are an infidel.
Haha! Based on my reasoning? You obviously do not understand my reasoning. At all.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:38 PM

1,485 posts, read 955,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The Second Amendment to the Constitution guarantees me the right to Keep and Bear Arms. So I assume that this means I can enter any place of business while armed, right? And I can just ignore any "No Guns Allowed" signs, right?

What, what? You mean to tell me that the owner of a private business can tell me that I am not allowed to carry a gun in his store? And that if I am carrying a gun, the owner can tell me to leave? So I guess that means that the owner can PICK and CHOOSE to not serve gun-carriers, am I right?

Hey, I'm being discriminated against! Where's my $135,000?
$135,000 would come in handy right about now. I'm thinking of getting a buddy to go into that bakery and act like we're flaming and wanna get married to eachother and order one of their gay wedding cakes.
Or what you mentioned is a good idea.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:01 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
$135,000 would come in handy right about now. I'm thinking of getting a buddy to go into that bakery and act like we're flaming and wanna get married to eachother and order one of their gay wedding cakes.
Or what you mentioned is a good idea.
Feel free to do so, the size of the award was not because they refused to sell them a cake, it was because of their actions afterwards.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:48 AM

190 posts, read 180,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Tailor View Post
Anti-gay marriage Oregon bakery defies state order to pay damages to couple | US news | The Guardian

Very old and demonstrative story about struggle with LGBT community.

I am sure that firstly when the Kleins started to collect money they were willing to pay the dept.
And now when Kim Davis's story has so much attention and even the pope Francis comes to support her in her fight, they decided to continue this endless war.

Or it is just a simple greed?
My opinion..GOOD. I am glad strong americans are standing up to these LGBT bullies!

Old 10-03-2015, 02:50 AM

4,541 posts, read 1,160,299 times
Pathetic, I wouldn't pay either.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:13 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,290,606 times
it would be snowball's chance in hell before I gave them or the judge the satisfaction that I even attemped to pay a penny. This by the way is not LAW!!! It was a decision by a stupid, incoherent ******* judge that should be removed from the bench ! Prove to me that this is a law that was voted on by and passed both houses of Congress and signed into unconstitutional law by any President. You can't because it never happened, so it is not law, just an evil person's opinion that the bakery offended 2 people. The Constitution has ZERO concern for being "offended" but it has multiple protections for people and their opinion , faith and rights to speak as they want ! No where does it allow a decision like this judge made. Constitutionally, this judge is guilty of high crimes against the bakers rights as promised by the Constitution !

Old 10-03-2015, 08:38 AM

791 posts, read 1,434,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiovanniTheGreat View Post
My opinion..GOOD. I am glad strong americans are standing up to these LGBT bullies!
No kidding. I'm sick of them. I have plenty of gay friends and lots of them are inclined to agree,

There's this fast food chain called "Chick-a-Fila" that refuses to grant benefits to same sex partners. Awww, shame on them. At the same time, they close on Sunday. After all, the Lord said to do so. But also, their employees get a day off to spend with their kids, maybe.

Odd, I have not heard any chorus of indignation from the "gay community" (whatever that is) about how companies that make their employees work on Sundays, and Thanksgiving, and even Christmas are discriminating against families. That's kind of what it amounts to. Lots of those same companies love to tout how "gay friendly" they are.

Want people to stick up for you? Try sticking up for them. Seems pretty obvious to me. But then, I am not some kind of professional victim.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:00 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,689,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
If the attorney thinks there was a gag order, then they must not have read the ruling.

The ruling said that they could not communicate in any way that they would refuse service in their business.
It did not say anything about talking about what has happened, or the case, or even that they shut down the business.

Its actually a lot more than that, in the ruling comments that they made on television and other mediums were basically cited as being made in violation of Oregon law. Its like saying "you can talk about anything you want, but not this." Basically they were prevented from discussing the incident as well as their own personal beliefs. As the business is no longer open publicly, their should be no reason for them to be further censored.

Statements that they made about "continuing to fight" and challenge the decision were also cited as being in violation. Its a clever way to shut people up and then shrug and say "But youre free to talk about anything you like."

I just see a lot of murky territory where you can vastly restrict what someone is allowed to say, where they are allowed to say it...etc. In my opinion the administrative judge went quite a bit out of bounds in trying to control what these people could say.

I dont think these people went about things the right way, I think they made a mountain out of a molehill but I also cant justify the state's tactics and an absurdly punitive fine that was handed out.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:27 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
What ever happened to " WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE SERVICE TO ANYONE" ? Since when should the Government be able to tell a private business how they should conduct business ?

I swear, the inmates are running the asylum !

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events