Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 08:17 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
That is ridiculous. Are there that many foreign students in the school and how offended would they be to celebrate the country they now live in?? Stupid PC crap.

Here is an idea: Celebrate America and then have the foreign kids write a story or give a speech as to why their parents came to America. If most of us go back far enough on our family trees our ancestors came to America for opportunity. Where is the shame in that?

We all have a story of America. Let the kids tell theirs. It could actually be a chance to learn something.
Wonderful idea.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 09:38 AM

50,725 posts, read 36,431,973 times
I always thought 4th of July was already "America Day". To me it's like adding a "Jesus Day" in between Christmas and Easter, a bit redundant IMO.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:51 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 23 days ago)

27,634 posts, read 16,120,970 times
So it has been taken over by mexicans... it was a homecoming tradition but the "latino population" would be shut out... *#(& them... Get out then.. D port D port D port

Old 10-06-2015, 12:16 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
When did our schools become a voting democracy? My senior class would have voted for no tests and half days all week if you let us! This is apparently a school TRADITION for homecoming. The principle and administration should earn their paychecks and grow some balls. I am willing to bet they had some sort of activity for Cinco De Mayo.
Our educators are failing our kids, and it is their rampant liberalism that drives them.
It's fairly traditional for students to vote on things like prom themes, yearbook themes, any other social events at a school. Many schools have been doing that since at least the 1960s that I remember, and probably long before that. It, of course, is not traditional to vote on things like tests and school hours, and YOU KNOW THAT.

I'm glad to know that you think the principle should grow some balls. What do you think that the principal should do?

Could you please cite the activity the school had on Cinco De Mayo?

Old 10-06-2015, 01:00 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,932,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I always thought 4th of July was already "America Day". To me it's like adding a "Jesus Day" in between Christmas and Easter, a bit redundant IMO.
Kind of goes with Cinco De Mayo.....how did that become an American celebration. I get "America Day"..... not so much another countries celebration.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:39 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Kind of goes with Cinco De Mayo.....how did that become an American celebration. I get "America Day"..... not so much another countries celebration.
Cinco de Mayo is more of an American celebration than a Mexican celebration. In fact, in Mexico it is only celebrated by one state - Puebla. Similarly, the US celebrates St. Patrick's Day to a different level than Ireland.

So, moral of the story, if you're going to complain about Cinco de Mayo, you're really complaining about your fellow Americans rather than Mexican whether they be immigrants or not.

And as others have pointed out, the students voted for a different theme day. America Day got 3rd place in the vote. It has nothing to do with catering to immigrants.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:56 PM

50,725 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I don't know what happens where you live but we don't celebrate it in NJ in any sense beyond going to Chi Chi's that night for half-price Margherita's, and the nursing home I work in will have tacos for lunch or something and maybe in Activities that day they'll have some 70 year old Mexican woman doing a traditional dance while her husband plays a guitar.. I wouldn't come close to calling it any sort of major celebration here. St. Patrick's Day is certainly celebrated on a much larger scale here, though. That's another country's celebration too, is it not?

I do not know of any school where the entire school goes Mexico for a day. They make Mexican pottery in art class and have Mexican food in the cafeteria for lunch, on St. Patrick's day they make Irish potatoes and the little ones come home with the 4-leaf clovers they made in art class, big deal. On Memorial Day in school is when they usually do the 'America Day' kind of thing and outside of school it's 4th of July. We are not being ripped off, stop worrying.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:56 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
Great day, what are they going to do? Someone might be...be...uncomfortable that someone else is celebrating "America Day" in America!

Google Image Result for http://cdn.meme.am/instances/57404277.jpg

Old 10-06-2015, 02:00 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Here is the actual story instead of the opinion piece posted in the OP:

Kids wear red, white and blue in spite of no America Day - Jackson Hole News&Guide: Schools

From that article:

“Three times as many students indicated that they were not in support of selecting the title ‘America Day,’ ” Crisp said.

But students voted for America Day. It was the third most popular theme.

Sounds like democracy at work. I mean, why not choose the most popular theme as voted on by the students?

Really?

What's "democratic" about telling kids they can't wear red, white, and blue regardless of what day is or is not being celebrated?

Old 10-06-2015, 02:22 PM

17,551 posts, read 13,334,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Here is the actual story instead of the opinion piece posted in the OP:

Kids wear red, white and blue in spite of no America Day - Jackson Hole News&Guide: Schools

From that article:

“Three times as many students indicated that they were not in support of selecting the title ‘America Day,’ ” Crisp said.

But students voted for America Day. It was the third most popular theme.

Sounds like democracy at work. I mean, why not choose the most popular theme as voted on by the students?
Bulls**t, this is America. Our country. The land of the free and the home of the brave!

What happened to The Pledge of Allegiance every morning, THE AMERICAN FLAG in every classroom, singing The Star Spangled Banner, In God We Trust, etc.

This is The United States of America and when you fricken come here this is our house and you play by our rules.

Since when should we be ashamed to be American.

If you don't like American Day, Old Glory, Red White and Blue, speaking English (after an appropriate time to learn our NATIONAL LANGUAGE) and taking the time and making the effort to become a citizen of OUR country and YOUR NEW COUNTRY then go the Hell back where you came from.

Is this PC enough for you to understand???????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events