Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 12:17 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
I realise that I'm playing devil's advocate here, but is there a possibility that the old ladies had ever been there before, and didn't know of its reputation for noise?
More like what the other poster mentioned. Their complaint was not about the noise level, but about a screaming baby in an already noisy place. That suggests to me that the screaming stood out in some way, perhaps excessively loud or shrill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 12:43 PM

1,069 posts, read 712,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
More like what the other poster mentioned. Their complaint was not about the noise level, but about a screaming baby in an already noisy place. That suggests to me that the screaming stood out in some way, perhaps excessively loud or shrill.
i think the definition of a baby yelling/crying contains both "excessively loud" and "shrill"

Old 10-14-2015, 04:04 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Wow, so many here who hate children. Dont want to be around children the. Don't go out to public places. Just stay home and order delivery. YOU cannot stop children from eating at a restaurant, but you can choose to stop leaving your home. I hope those haters here have been spayed or neutered.

How about people who breed who cannot take proper care of their offspring not go to restaurants and just stay home and get delivery??? You CAN stop your kids from being brats---take them outside PERIOD.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:17 AM

17,614 posts, read 17,649,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
How about people who breed who cannot take proper care of their offspring not go to restaurants and just stay home and get delivery??? You CAN stop your kids from being brats---take them outside PERIOD.
Ok, try reasoning with a 10 month old baby. This restaurant is family friendly. They have a children's menu, coloring activity sheet, and if it's a birthday the staff brings out a sawhorse saddle for the birthday person to sit on as they sing the birthday song along with a birthday treat.

However, it is not a restaurant for anyone with a peanut allergy. There are buckets of peanuts all over and peanut shells on the floor.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:22 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,185,222 times
It makes me shake my head how many people put their precious little smookem's need to holler over common courtesy. No wonder the world is full of brats.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:58 AM

17,614 posts, read 17,649,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
It makes me shake my head how many people put their precious little smookem's need to holler over common courtesy. No wonder the world is full of brats.
Bringing children to a family friendly restaurant isn't against the law. It's actually a good learning experience for both the parent and the child. The parents have a right to take their kids to such restaurants. What if I were to say I hate seeing black people at restaurants because they are loud and obnoxious. I'd be called a racist who hates black people. Difference is a 10 month old hasn't had the years of development to have learned self control and proper social behavior in such restaurants. I can excuse the behavior of a 10 month old and his parents. I can't excuse such behavior from adults. But I don't single out one particular group they way some here have done with a blanket general hatred of children out in public.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:21 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,185,222 times
Quote:
Bringing children to a family friendly restaurant isn't against the law. It's actually a good learning experience for both the parent and the child. The parents have a right to take their kids to such restaurants.
Certainly not against the law. But it is not much of a learning experience if they allow the children to be inconsiderate. I have no problem bringing kids to restaurants. I have a problem staying when the kid disturbs other patrons with failure to be able to control their behavior.

Quote:
What if I were to say I hate seeing black people at restaurants because they are loud and obnoxious.
Loud and obnoxious people are likewise inconsiderate regardless of their color. But I have to say that that was one of the dumber analogies I have ever seen.

Quote:
I'd be called a racist who hates black people.
Only if you believe that black people are largely loud and obnoxious.

Quote:
Difference is a 10 month old hasn't had the years of development to have learned self control and proper social behavior in such restaurants. I can excuse the behavior of a 10 month old and his parents. I can't excuse such behavior from adults. But I don't single out one particular group they way some here have done with a blanket general hatred of children out in public.
Being considerate is not important to you, it would seem. The difference is that when an adult is causing a disturbance, s/he is solely responsible. With a small child, they are not responsible at all and cannot act. Parents can. And often don't. THEIR restaurant meal and THEIR child's experience is more important than that of other patrons. That is very inconsiderate.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:43 PM

1,069 posts, read 712,177 times
Quote:
Bringing children to a family friendly restaurant isn't against the law. It's actually a good learning experience for both the parent and the child. The parents have a right to take their kids to such restaurants. What if I were to say I hate seeing black people at restaurants because they are loud and obnoxious. I'd be called a racist who hates black people. Difference is a 10 month old hasn't had the years of development to have learned self control and proper social behavior in such restaurants. I can excuse the behavior of a 10 month old and his parents. I can't excuse such behavior from adults. But I don't single out one particular group they way some here have done with a blanket general hatred of children out in public.
i think you are missing the point....the issue is not with the 10 month old. he/she is doing what a 10 month old does....my question is, what would possess someone in a restaurant, who's 10 month old is yelling incessantly, to continue to sit there and not take steps to remove the child from that situation? A) is the person that dense that they dont realize this is annoying or B) are they of the mindset of "i have a right to be here and if my little snowballs screaming is bothering people, i dont care they can deal with it because its my right to be here" Common consideration and courtesy for those around you outweigh your wants. That should be the mindset. Instead, to many people are of the mindset of "my wants are the most important thing, other people will just have to deal with the incovenience"

Old 10-15-2015, 01:00 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,349,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
i think you are missing the point....the issue is not with the 10 month old. he/she is doing what a 10 month old does....my question is, what would possess someone in a restaurant, who's 10 month old is yelling incessantly, to continue to sit there and not take steps to remove the child from that situation? A) is the person that dense that they dont realize this is annoying or B) are they of the mindset of "i have a right to be here and if my little snowballs screaming is bothering people, i dont care they can deal with it because its my right to be here" Common consideration and courtesy for those around you outweigh your wants. That should be the mindset. Instead, to many people are of the mindset of "my wants are the most important thing, other people will just have to deal with the incovenience"
First, annoying is in the mind of who is doing the listening or watching. What is annoying to one person might not be annoying (or might even be pleasurable) to another person. Example: rap music.

I think that the mother just thought that it was not REALLY a problem because the baby was not crying. According to the article, the mom said, "He will yell when I tell him no, when he's super excited and happy or just for no reason at all. We all tried quieting him down which a majority of the time he did but he also was so excited to be around all the commotion, He was not yelling to be mean or because he was mad, it was purely from excitement and being happy." [my italics]

Happy and excited baby noises do not bother me, even when babies shriek from excitement, but perhaps I am just more tolerant about little children. (Not criticizing, just saying.) However, as I said before, I do agree that small babies do not belong in restaurants where low voices are the norm.

Incidentally, I remember one time I was at a casual restaurant at lunchtime, and there was a mom there with a baby probably 4-5 months old who, evidently, was just discovering that he could make his voice do different things -- it was one different LOUD weird sound or squeal after another, and the baby was just laughing and acting like this was the greatest thing ever. And virtually everyone in the restaurant was laughing right along with him. However, this was about 25 years ago, so I guess things have changed since then.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:52 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Why do some posters simply focus on the baby? "Omg it's a BABY, how can you think such mean things?!!!"
(It's not the baby, it's the parent!)
What if the ladies had dropped off a note to a loud party of drunks? Would the outrage still be there? What if the drunks were loud but they were happy, would that make it ok?
No I am not comparing a baby to a drunk, don't even go there.
I am asking why for some people one type of noise is ok and another is not. 'Just a baby' isn't really an answer because the baby isn't at fault, the parent is, so why are you ok with a parent allowing disruptive noises but not ok with other kinds of people being loud?
Quote:
I can't excuse such behavior from adults.
But you are excusing it, because they have a child with them.
Quote:
Personally, though, I would much rather hear a loud baby than a loud and obnoxious drunk (or drunks).
Shrieking children and loud drunks are equally annoying to have to listen to throughout an entire meal, why do the parents of the babies get a pass on this?
Quote:
But a 10 month old? You can't really reason with a 10 month old.
Which is why the parent has a duty to manage the situation and not just make excuses because of the childs age.

Having a child with you doesn't magically absolve you of the need to be considerate of others.

Last edited by DubbleT; 10-16-2015 at 11:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events