Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2015, 01:26 PM

10,730 posts, read 5,664,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Not everyone has access to a baby sitter all the time.
Then stay home. Not having a babysitter available doesn't suddenly grant license to inflict your child's bad behavior on everyone else.

Quote:
Some things can only be done while with the child like check ups.
When you read my post, did you really believe that I don't understand this?

Quote:
I've been in restaurants with kids behaving like this. Instead of getting annoyed and angry, I try to make the kid laugh and smile. If the parent is making an effort, she has my sympathy. I have to listen to the kid for a few minutes. She has to listen to such behavior all the time. According to the story she had been making the effort. So I guess you want all children to either be at home or school until they fully develop a sense of personal self control to your liking. Even some adults don't have that level of self control.
Like I said before - a sad commentary on the state of society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 01:53 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I never believed that I had the right to inflict my children's bad behavior on the general public. 10 month olds were left with sitters. When the children were old enough to be able to control themselves, they would accompany us to restaurants. Misbehavior would immediately result in either myself or their mother taking them out to the car for a mild attitude adjustment, and then back in to the restaurant. This only happened a couple of times before there were no more problems.

Relatively young children are very capable of learning how to behave appropriately in public. If not, they are left home.

That this thread has gone 25 pages with plenty of support for the mother with the yelling baby is a sad commentary on the general state of society.
It's really much more of a commentary on the incredibly loud noise level of Texas Roadhouse but if you want to get all sad about it; go ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Interestingly enough, this is the natural consequence that allows them to make the connection between their behavior and the ability to eat in a restaurant as they grow.
At ten months - kind of a stretch.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:13 PM

10,730 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
It's really much more of a commentary on the incredibly loud noise level of Texas Roadhouse but if you want to get all sad about it; go ahead.
Nope. There is a big difference between a yelling toddler and the normal noise that would be expected at Texas Roadhouse. Trying to equate them is simply wrong.

I'm not sad about it. I'm simply surprised at people like you attempting to excuse away the poor parenting exhibited by the mother in question.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:16 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
not a matter of hating children, the point is a parent subjecting other people to her 10 month old constant screams and cries....the basic concept of consideration seems to have escaped you

To PC people like that though, anything said about a child that isn't worship or adoration automatically assigns you the label of "chyld-hater".

Old 10-12-2015, 02:26 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
There are loud restaurants and then there are shrieking babies. Just because there are people speaking and laughing loudly doesn't mean that anyone wants a screaming baby to be a part of the experience. Loud talking and laughing becomes part of the background noise and ambiance. A shrieking baby is like nails on chalkboard the entire time it lasts.
That is a matter of opinion, which, of course, you are welcome to have. Personally, though, I would much rather hear a loud baby than a loud and obnoxious drunk (or drunks). Also, of course, to my knowledge, there was no recording of the "offending baby", but, supposedly, the baby was not crying or wailing -- which does get on my nerves after ten minutes or so -- but was just making happy and excited shrieks and squeals. Of course, granted, we only have the mother's word for it.

Again, different people are bothered by different things. In my view, IF babies and small children are going to be banned from noisy chain restaurants like Texas Roadhouse because they have the potential for being loud, then so should anyone who intends to order more than two alcoholic beverages and/or any group of 20-something men or women arriving together.

And, btw, I would NOT be in favor of banning anyone from any chain restaurant just in case they might be noisy or offensive in some way.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:27 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,005 times
Quote:
Wow, so many here who hate children. Dont want to be around children the. Don't go out to public places. Just stay home and order delivery. YOU cannot stop children from eating at a restaurant, but you can choose to stop leaving your home. I hope those haters here have been spayed or neutered.
WRONG. The onus to leave public places should ALWAYS be on the one creating the disturbance.

Also, there are many restaurants that whose owners are telling people just THAT, that children aren't eating in their restaurants, because of parents like this woman.

And the way parenting is going these days there will be a lot more banning brats in the time to come.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:11 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Wow, so many here who hate children. Dont want to be around children the. Don't go out to public places. Just stay home and order delivery. YOU cannot stop children from eating at a restaurant, but you can choose to stop leaving your home. I hope those haters here have been spayed or neutered.
Another reading comprehension-challenged member of the Church of the Perpetually Offended.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:18 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,455,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Another reading comprehension-challenged member of the Church of the Perpetually Offended.
I wonder how they would feel if I felt sick, so wanted to treat myself by going out to eat, and then proceeded to sneeze and cough right next to them? I guess if someone thought it would be better for me to stay home from an optional trip out (as opposed to a drug store run to get medicine) until I wasn't posing a problem for others, then they must hate people who get sick.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:18 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Nope. There is a big difference between a yelling toddler and the normal noise that would be expected at Texas Roadhouse. Trying to equate them is simply wrong.

I'm not sad about it. I'm simply surprised at people like you attempting to excuse away the poor parenting exhibited by the mother in question.
You say that as if it's a fact. It's merely your opinion.

Having spent a considerable amount of time at the TR because my son liked their filet, I beg to differ.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:41 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
I wonder how they would feel if I felt sick, so wanted to treat myself by going out to eat, and then proceeded to sneeze and cough right next to them? I guess if someone thought it would be better for me to stay home from an optional trip out (as opposed to a drug store run to get medicine) until I wasn't posing a problem for others, then they must hate people who get sick.
Apples and oranges. In your scenario it's a matter of public health, whereas in the incident with a screaming kid it's matter of annoyance or inconvenience, but not a threat to health.

I doubt if I felt that bad I would go out to eat, since I would be unlikely to enjoy it, but it's also considered commn courtesy, and good public health practice to avoid others as muchnas possible when one has a contagious illness. If someone were sitting next to me in a restaurant and sneezing and coughing in my direction, I might say something to them about it, then request to be moved to another table. No hate there, I just don't want their cold/flu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events