Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2015, 12:44 PM

10,730 posts, read 5,664,235 times

Advertisements

I never believed that I had the right to inflict my children's bad behavior on the general public. 10 month olds were left with sitters. When the children were old enough to be able to control themselves, they would accompany us to restaurants. Misbehavior would immediately result in either myself or their mother taking them out to the car for a mild attitude adjustment, and then back in to the restaurant. This only happened a couple of times before there were no more problems.

Relatively young children are very capable of learning how to behave appropriately in public. If not, they are left home.

That this thread has gone 25 pages with plenty of support for the mother with the yelling baby is a sad commentary on the general state of society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 12:49 PM

1,069 posts, read 712,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Wow, so many here who hate children. Dont want to be around children the. Don't go out to public places. Just stay home and order delivery. YOU cannot stop children from eating at a restaurant, but you can choose to stop leaving your home. I hope those haters here have been spayed or neutered.
not a matter of hating children, the point is a parent subjecting other people to her 10 month old constant screams and cries....the basic concept of consideration seems to have escaped you

Old 10-12-2015, 12:51 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Oh, they can go out to dinner. But, if one of their children starts acting inappropriately then one of the adults needs to remove them from the restaurant until they settle down. That is what generations before you did. Your child should not be my burden. I took care of my children and did everything in my power to make sure they weren't a nuisance to others because I was the one who decided to give birth to them, not everyone else sitting in the restaurant. They didn't sign up to deal with my noisy child. I understood the universe did not revolve around me or my child.
Interestingly enough, this is the natural consequence that allows them to make the connection between their behavior and the ability to eat in a restaurant as they grow.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:54 PM

17,614 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I never believed that I had the right to inflict my children's bad behavior on the general public. 10 month olds were left with sitters. When the children were old enough to be able to control themselves, they would accompany us to restaurants. Misbehavior would immediately result in either myself or their mother taking them out to the car for a mild attitude adjustment, and then back in to the restaurant. This only happened a couple of times before there were no more problems.

Relatively young children are very capable of learning how to behave appropriately in public. If not, they are left home.

That this thread has gone 25 pages with plenty of support for the mother with the yelling baby is a sad commentary on the general state of society.
Not everyone has access to a baby sitter all the time. Some things can only be done while with the child like check ups. I've been in restaurants with kids behaving like this. Instead of getting annoyed and angry, I try to make the kid laugh and smile. If the parent is making an effort, she has my sympathy. I have to listen to the kid for a few minutes. She has to listen to such behavior all the time. According to the story she had been making the effort. So I guess you want all children to either be at home or school until they fully develop a sense of personal self control to your liking. Even some adults don't have that level of self control.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:56 PM

17,614 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
not a matter of hating children, the point is a parent subjecting other people to her 10 month old constant screams and cries....the basic concept of consideration seems to have escaped you
According to the article, he had not been constantly screaming and crying. Those were your words.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:59 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
"He will yell when I tell him no, when he's super excited and happy or just for no reason at all," Leach wrote on a Facebook post to KTVB-TV. "I'm doing my best to teach him indoor voice and to not yell back at me when telling him no etc, But he is only 10 (almost 11 months) and LEARNING."

Yup. He is learning that he can yell in a restaurant and Mom is not going to do anything about it.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Not everyone has access to a baby sitter all the time. Some things can only be done while with the child like check ups. I've been in restaurants with kids behaving like this. Instead of getting annoyed and angry, I try to make the kid laugh and smile. If the parent is making an effort, she has my sympathy. I have to listen to the kid for a few minutes. She has to listen to such behavior all the time. According to the story she had been making the effort. So I guess you want all children to either be at home or school until they fully develop a sense of personal self control to your liking. Even some adults don't have that level of self control.
how about trying to make the child happy, after 5 or 10 mins, and the child continues to wail away, pack the child up and get your food to go....yes, the parent should be more inconvenienced than the other diners, thats the way it is....again, common courtesy and consideration

Old 10-12-2015, 01:06 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,455,726 times
Quote:
According to the article, he had not been constantly screaming and crying. Those were your words.
Since the article did not include any interviews with the two women who allegedly wrote the note, it gives only the mother's and the sympathetic manager's side of the story. The mother admits the child was yelling and it's very likely that the yelling was going on longer and more loudly than she wants to say.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Then it should be childrens themed eateries and takeout until the kids are old enough to behave

Old 10-12-2015, 01:22 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,779,568 times
Quote:

That's not a reason to inflict your ("you" in the general sense) child's unruly behavior on other people.

There are several options...

1. Kid themed restaurants
2. Order In
3. Cook at Home

My parents left us at home (for several years duration, while we were very young) with our older sister when they went out to eat. If she was unavailable, then they didn't go out.

The decision to have children is one many people make. No one makes that decision for them. The decision to take the potentially loud, yelling, screaming, unruly children out, again, is a choice. No one makes that decision for them.

Last edited by erjunkee; 10-12-2015 at 02:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events