Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 02:53 PM

396 posts, read 409,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I agree with you about kids need to learn about the world's major religions. I'm all for it, but where and in what public school district is the same time and effort given to teach kids about the Jewish religion? I've never heard of any and certainly not around here. In fact, Jews outnumber Muslims in this country still by a good margin. Why aren't those same kids assigned to do similar work using the Old Testament? So what happened? What about other major world religions like Buddhism? No, it's always Islam being taught.
I bet if schools took turns fairly teaching about world religions with equal time given, no one would be having this conversion. One can't help but think Islam has become the religious flavor of the week in our liberal public schools. The evidence is overwhelming.
I teach an entire unit on the history of the Hebrews and their interactions with neighboring cultures. We spend as much time, if not more, on the Patriarchs as we do on The Twelve Imams. And it isn't just me. This is an expectation for our entire LEA.

Seems to me you are adjusting the reality to fit your narrative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
What I am confused about is the whole barcode thing where the student can scan and it will play/bring up Muslim prayers . What the heck is that about ?
Probably just the same as putting up a youtube clip for the students to watch. I have shown students videos of the dervish rituals. Students should be able to recognize the adhan when they hear it. Not because they need to subscribe to its beliefs, but to be knowledgeable human beings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 02:55 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Here in Texas 7th grade is Texas history.
The states I've lived in generally teach their state history in elementary school. Grades 4-5 is typical IME. By middle school we are expecting them to broaden their horizons.

And what exactly does what goes on in Texas have to do with this anyway? The OP is in California.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:57 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
I encourage everyone to read the Koran, and it's not because I'm an advocate.

I really take issue with the fundie belief that ignorance is good. It's not.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:04 PM

773 posts, read 786,528 times
Quote:
So I guess the mom said if the school has an issue they can talk to her lawyer. I thought there is suppose to be no "religion" in school.? What happened to the separation of church and state?
I agree there should be no religion taught in public schools, including christianity. Teach religion at home if you want or send your kids to a private school if it's so import. But tax dollars should not be spent on teaching our kids religion.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:05 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
We had to read passages from the New Testament when I was in middle and high school English class. My mom didn't go crying to the school - it was an important part of existing within the world. She also didn't cry when we learned the pillars of Islam and read parts of the Gita in that same public school social studies and world geography classes. Nor, do I remember, any other parents having a bit of a problem with it despite being one of the most conservative and religious parts of the country.

What is wrong with people today?
Quote:
I'll bet that if that teacher had assigned something similar but for Christianity instead of Islam, she'd be fired so fast her head would spin. Let's just face reality. It's now become very politically correct to support Islam in schools while at the same time minimize (at best) anything Christian. It's another price we pay for having a public school system including teachers that are very left wing in many parts of the country.
How ironic that these two posts were next to each other. Christianity gets taught about in schools all the time, no one notices, let alone gets fired for it. As a non-Christian, I'm very aware of it, but for most people who are either practicing Christian or are not something other than Christian and think they celebrate Christmas as a non-religious holiday, they are not aware that this is just as much not my belief system as Islam is to them. Yet, no one protested learning about it, as the history or to put much of history and literature into context. The only thing somewhat new is that people are no longer saying that it's ok to make Christianity the ONLY religion that gets treated this way.

Quote:
What I am confused about is the whole barcode thing where the student can scan and it will play/bring up Muslim prayers . What the heck is that about ?
Those who are interested in learning more can scan the code and hear an example of the Islamic call to prayer. I would assume the curriculum uses codes for other audio and visual aids as well.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:08 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
I thought discussion and teaching about religion was verboten in school? Is all religion off limits in public schools except Islam?

Old 10-10-2015, 03:08 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
I agree with you about kids need to learn about the world's major religions. I'm all for it, but where and in what public school district is the same time and effort given to teach kids about the Jewish religion? I've never heard of any and certainly not around here. In fact, Jews outnumber Muslims in this country still by a good margin. Why aren't those same kids assigned to do similar work using the Old Testament? So what happened? What about other major world religions like Buddhism? No, it's always Islam being taught.
I bet if schools took turns fairly teaching about world religions with equal time given, no one would be having this conversion. One can't help but think Islam has become the religious flavor of the week in our liberal public schools. The evidence is overwhelming.
You're right, the evidence is overwhelming - that is, the evidence that you (and a lot of other people, evidently) are misinformed. The students covered Judaism the year before, in 6th grade -

Quote:
6.3 Students analyze the geographic, political, economic, religious, and social structures of the Ancient Hebrews.

1. Describe the origins and significance of Judaism as the first monotheistic religion based on the concept of one God who sets down moral laws for humanity.
2. Identify the sources of the ethical teachings and central beliefs of Judaism (the Hebrew Bible, the Commentaries): belief in God, observance of law, practice of the concepts of righteousness and justice, and importance of study; and describe how the ideas of the Hebrew traditions are reflected in the moral and ethical traditions of Western civilization.
3. Explain the significance of Abraham, Moses, Naomi, Ruth, David, and Yohanan ben Zaccai in the development of the Jewish religion.
4. Discuss the locations of the settlements and movements of Hebrew peoples, including the Exodus and their movement to and from Egypt, and outline the significance of the Exodus to the Jewish and other people.
5. Discuss how Judaism survived and developed despite the continuing dispersion of much of the Jewish population from Jerusalem and the rest of Israel after the destruction of the second Temple in A.D. 70.
Buddhism and Hinduism as well -

Quote:

6.5 Students analyze the geographic, political, economic, religious, and social structures of the early civilizations of India.

1. Locate and describe the major river system and discuss the physical setting that sup-ported the rise of this civilization.
2. Discuss the significance of the Aryan invasions.
3. Explain the major beliefs and practices of Brahmanism in India and how they evolved into early Hinduism.
4. Outline the social structure of the caste system.
5. Know the life and moral teachings of Buddha and how Buddhism spread in India, Ceylon, and Central Asia.
6. Describe the growth of the Maurya empire and the political and moral achievements of the emperor Asoka.
7. Discuss important aesthetic and intellectual traditions (e.g., Sanskrit literature, including the Bhagavad Gita; medicine; metallurgy; and mathematics, including Hindu-Arabic numerals and the zero).

6.6 Students analyze the geographic, political, economic, religious, and social structures of the early civilizations of China.

1. Locate and describe the origins of Chinese civilization in the Huang-He Valley during the Shang Dynasty.
2. Explain the geographic features of China that made governance and the spread of ideas and goods difficult and served to isolate the country from the rest of the world.
3. Know about the life of Confucius and the fundamental teachings of Confucianism and Taoism.
4. Identify the political and cultural problems prevalent in the time of Confucius and how he sought to solve them.
5. List the policies and achievements of the emperor Shi Huangdi in unifying northern China under the Qin Dynasty.
6. Detail the political contributions of the Han Dynasty to the development of the imperial bureaucratic state and the expansion of the empire.
7. Cite the significance of the trans-Eurasian "silk roads" in the period of the Han Dynasty and Roman Empire and their locations.
8. Describe the diffusion of Buddhism northward to China during the Han Dynasty.
Grade Six: History-Social Science Content Standards

And, Christianity seems to be covered rather extensively in both grades.

So no, this is not all about Islam - what this is all about is a tempest in a teapot because some ignorant, xenophobic bigot of a parent flipped out and went all drama-***** on Facebook, and millions of people across the country swallowed it up and accepted it as fact because it fit what they thought they already knew and they didn't want to bother doing any research to see if their initial reactions were accurate.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:10 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Speaking of educating yourselves, when you're ready to get off of your high horses, you would realize it's not just one parent, it's not just CA:

Parents upset kids taught about Islam in school | www.wsbtv.com

Nashville Public School Parents Upset After Students Were Taught Islam : SCHOOLS : ISchoolGuide

Old 10-10-2015, 03:14 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Ah. I stand corrected.

It's an entire nation full of ignorant, xenophobic, bigoted parents.

I feel much better knowing that.

But be that as it may, the point remains that this discussion is (or was) about that one parent.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:14 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,440,764 times
I'll bet the mom in this scenario doesn't even know enough about Islam to explain why she's "against" it. She could use some 7th grade education herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events