Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 03:14 PM

396 posts, read 410,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Ah. I stand corrected.

It's an entire nation full of ignorant, xenophobic, bigoted parents.

I feel much better knowing that.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Disturbing that anyone could think that somehow proves a point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 03:14 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I thought discussion and teaching about religion was verboten in school? Is all religion off limits in public schools except Islam?
A common misconception. School officials are not allowed to proselytize (defined as advocating or promoting a belief system). Schools are allowed to teach, without bringing their own personal beliefs into the discussion, about the basic tenets of a particular religious belief.

An example of what is allowed: "Muslims believe in the 5 Pillars of Islam, and this is what they are - "

An example of what is not allowed: "Islam is the one true religion, and you will go to hell if you do not follow the 5 pillars."

See the difference?

Old 10-10-2015, 03:16 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,441,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Speaking of educating yourselves, when you're ready to get off of your high horses, you would realize it's not just one parent, it's not just CA:

Parents upset kids taught about Islam in school | www.wsbtv.com

Nashville Public School Parents Upset After Students Were Taught Islam : SCHOOLS : ISchoolGuide
Then they need to be equally upset about Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism, Sikhism, Shintoism, Paganism, and any other comparative/world religion taught.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:20 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Speaking of educating yourselves, when you're ready to get off of your high horses, you would realize it's not just one parent, it's not just CA:

Parents upset kids taught about Islam in school | www.wsbtv.com

Nashville Public School Parents Upset After Students Were Taught Islam : SCHOOLS : ISchoolGuide

Oh, I know it's not just one parent or just CA. It was just recently a discussion within my own community on a local Facebook page, and the poster used an example from her own child's 7th grade Social Studies homework. I'm not in CA or TN.

Personally, I was glad to know that the local schools are attempting to teach kids the basics of the world's major religions. It's something every educated person should know.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:20 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,938,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Without context, the whole issue is pretty meaningless.

Separation of church and state does not preclude learning about various religious beliefs and their importance in regards to historical events.
Exactly, I learned about Islam in school, I didn't practice it, I wasn't indoctrinated, I simply learned about it and how it shaped cultures and major events. Did the same with Shintoism, Hindusim, Sikhism, Confucianism, Judaism, Christianity, etc.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:23 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
You're right, the evidence is overwhelming - that is, the evidence that you (and a lot of other people, evidently) are misinformed. The students covered Judaism the year before, in 6th grade -

Buddhism and Hinduism as well -

Grade Six: History-Social Science Content Standards

And, Christianity seems to be covered rather extensively in both grades.

So no, this is not all about Islam - what this is all about is a tempest in a teapot because some ignorant, xenophobic bigot of a parent flipped out and went all drama-***** on Facebook, and millions of people across the country swallowed it up and accepted it as fact because it fit what they thought they already knew and they didn't want to bother doing any research to see if their initial reactions were accurate.
Excellent post.

Did her son forget to bring all of that homework home?

Old 10-10-2015, 03:37 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,929,454 times
It depends on who's version of the history is the truth.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:09 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,446,745 times
Are they teaching about all those virgins the Muslim men will have when they die? If not, why not?

Old 10-10-2015, 04:14 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,329,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'll bet that if that teacher had assigned something similar but for Christianity instead of Islam, she'd be fired so fast her head would spin.
More Christian faux-victim whinning. You can't teach Western History without teaching Christianity, it is impossible. You can't teach Spanish conquest of either South or North America without teaching about Christianity. As a result any parent who would complain about such a thing would be as big an imbecile as this woman.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:27 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
It appears this parent quoted more chapter/verse in her rant than her child's lesson even covered. It would seem the parent would be better served having her child attend a faith based school of her choosing rather than public school, this way her child can have a filtered and sanitized education that meets her beliefs, God help her child when he gets into the real wold..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events