Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 01:54 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times

Advertisements

This is news we will need to watch, at least IMO. It sounds like there are reports of the virus remaining in bodily fluids of some survivors; however, this nurse is the first person to have a full blown recurrence. She is critical...let's hope her doctors can keep her stable enough to let her body recover.

Ebola nurse Pauline Cafferkey 'critically ill' after condition deteriorates

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 01:58 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
I will be praying for her and her family. Terrible news.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I will be praying for her and her family. Terrible news.

It is terrible news for many reasons. I wonder what happened to the pharmaceutical company that had the unlicensed treatment? That is probably worth researching.

The 58 being monitored are big British & UK names. This nurse had been honored for her work and survival of Ebola. British athletes, Mrs. David Cameron and others attended functions to honor her. She relapsed one week later. As the initial post said, there probably are some in Africa who have had recurrent infections, but those types of records aren't kept in Africa.

UK's first Ebola patient 'critically ill,' in isolation - CNN.com

MSR

Old 10-14-2015, 05:02 PM

This is the information about vaccines and potential treatments of Ebola:

Ebola: The race for drugs and vaccines - BBC News

MSR

Old 10-14-2015, 10:53 PM

The WHO is classifying this critically ill nurse as a *complication* of earlier Ebola Infection, not a new infection. The best guesses are a relapse won't be as infectious to others. I hope that is correct.

Here's a graphic from the WHO which helps us quickly recall how many have been infected and their home country.

Ebola Situation Reports | Ebola

MSR

Old 10-15-2015, 07:09 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
It's been reported that the ebola virus can remain in the bodies of male survivors up to 9 months after contracting the virus.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
It's been reported that the ebola virus can remain in the bodies of male survivors up to 9 months after contracting the virus.
ebbe,

Thanks for your post. I was searching for info about Ebola to include here. I saw many different articles. Would you be referencing the U.S. physician above? It would be interesting to know as if the survivor is someone else, or if you are making a general comment it would be very helpful to know.

Thank you in advance

MSR

Old 10-15-2015, 08:03 PM

Thank you, elan. This has really important information in it. I posted WHO information, which wasn't as straight forward as the CDC.

Every source I've read mentions lingering Ebola Virus can linger is in the fluid in the eye, which probably includes tears, but IDK for sure. The second bodily fluid Ebola Virus can linger in for at least nine months is Semen. Per this preliminary article, which had a sample size of 93 men, 100 % of those enrolled in the first three months of having the infection had positive semen samples. About 65% tested positive four to six months of getting sick. Over 1/4 (26% ) of the patients still had positive semen sample tests at seven to nine months of being diagnosed with Ebola Virus.

CDC recommends abstinence or condoms for any man who continues to have positive semen samples. There are additional guidelines about hygiene etc. for those who have positive semen samples. I'll let you read the information.

Two negative semen samples, I believe one month apart, must both test negative for Ebola for a previously infected male. Check the link to be certain.

This does make one curious of how come some mens' semen samples are positive for Ebola for up to 10 months currently. There could be many different reasons from temperature, to pH to sugars and nutrients in a semen sample, or any other reason those running the study see as a pattern.

Women aren't showing these residual Ebola samples until this UK nurse. That is one reason following her is so important. Let's hope she can fight the deadly virus a second time. I hope she's strong enough to fight this relapse and recover

MSR

Old 10-16-2015, 06:14 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
We really don't have sufficient information on what happens to Ebola survivors because there have been so few. Plus, those that survived in the past did so because of their own immune system, it is not unreasonable that they might have different after-effects than someone who survived because of pharmaceutical intervention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events