Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 07:04 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times

Advertisements

Incident happened back in june but is now being reported....

"Mommy, am I gonna die?”Cop shoots 4-year-old after aiming for family dog when injured mom called 911 for help"?

This story touches me. They call for paramedics for her mom who cut herself, then a cop arrives first (instead of the ambulance) , and opens fire on the "family dog" claiming he was being charged by the animal.

Instead of striking the dog, he shoots the little girl......

Her mother Andrea wrote her account of the incident in a post. She names the police officer who shot her child, Jonathan Thomas, and says that, as soon as he saw the dog, who was eight to 10 feet away from him, he fired — in the direction of her eight-year-old niece and Ava.

When are they police going to stop getting trigger happy on people's famaily pets AKA family members.?

I feel like law enforcement issues deadly force on dogs/animals when it is un-warranted? What do you guys think.

“Mommy, am I gonna die?”: Cop shoots 4-year-old — after aiming for family dog — when injured mom called 911 for help - Salon.com

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2392772

Last edited by Jimmyp25; 10-16-2015 at 07:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 07:26 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,016,975 times
The worst part is that the police officer walked away after he shot the girl. He didnt even try to help her.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
The worst part is that the police officer walked away after he shot the girl. He didnt even try to help her.
you know what ? I have literally read a dozen stories where police officers assume that a dog is charging them in a assertive behavior and open fire on the dogs.

These dogs are peoples family members. These dogs are meant to protect them. Officers need to stop just taking open fire on them, just because they feel threatened .

This girl almost list her life because of this, and then the officer walks away.... it really ticks me off

Old 10-16-2015, 07:51 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I heard these are the new targets they're using at the police range now.
Attached Thumbnails
Mommy, am I gonna die?”Cop shoots 4-year-old after aiming for family dog when injured mom called 911 for help-screenshot_2015-10-16-20-49-59  

Old 10-16-2015, 08:25 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,440,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post

When are they police going to stop getting trigger happy on people's famaily pets AKA family members.?

I feel like law enforcement issues deadly force on dogs/animals when it is un-warranted? What do you guys think.
I think the bigger issue is trigger happy cops, period, whoever they are aiming at. It was always my understanding that police were trained to use de-escalation tactics and to not use deadly force unless it was unavoidable. I grew up hearing stories about 30 year veterans who never fired their guns on duty, not once.

Now these trigger happy cops are killing innocent people, children, and pets, and they continue to go unpunished.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:38 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,016,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I think the bigger issue is trigger happy cops, period, whoever they are aiming at. It was always my understanding that police were trained to use de-escalation tactics and to not use deadly force unless it was unavoidable. I grew up hearing stories about 30 year veterans who never fired their guns on duty, not once.

Now these trigger happy cops are killing innocent people, children, and pets, and they continue to go unpunished.
It could also be that society as a whole has changed. I wonder if you put that older cop into today if he would be able to go that long without firing a shot.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:

I agree with you, my godmother was a chicago police officer for over 25 years. She never fired a shot. Cops now a days do seem to grasp the gun and pull the trigger more often.

I do understand the job does require a very hard judgment call. It does seem that the judgements are starting to be more un-reeasonable in certain situations.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:06 PM

50,829 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:

Frankly, for some cops shooting a person or a dog has almost become sport.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:10 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
So did the SOB go unpunished?

Old 10-16-2015, 10:30 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,521,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
you know what ? I have literally read a dozen stories where police officers assume that a dog is charging them in a assertive behavior and open fire on the dogs.

These dogs are peoples family members. These dogs are meant to protect them. Officers need to stop just taking open fire on them, just because they feel threatened .

This girl almost list her life because of this, and then the officer walks away.... it really ticks me off
Dogs are supposed to be leashed and under the control of their owners. Period.

Unleashed dogs and dogs not under control of their owners are a safety hazard to others and must not be tolerated.

Dogs are unpredictable because they are animals. Owners are responsible for the behavior of their dogs and any reaction to their uncontrolled dog. Dogs can and will bite, sometimes without the approval of their owners. The laws are clear, your dog, your responsibility because an uncontrolled dog can injure or kill a human without human intervention.

Leash and control your dog, no problem. Let your dog loose, a big problem, your problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events