Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2015, 11:15 AM

8,378 posts, read 4,361,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Agreed. If you are of sound mind. have a terminal disease you should be able end your life with dignity.
Think about Alzheimer's. You end up with no mind at all. Your motor and cognitive ability slowly decline until you don't know anyone, you don't know where you are, you can't walk, you can't eat and eventually you can't breathe. You slowly forget how to do it all. The whole process takes 7+ YEARS.

In the mean time your spouse and children are dealing with you not knowing them, with you loosing control of bodily function, your emotional stability goes haywire so you yell, cuss, are suspicious and have hallucinations.

In the mean time doctors are prescribing pills, special care units that are locked down, meds to keep you sedated because if you become violent you may get kicked out of the special care unit.

Your brain pretty much turns to jello, you drool and defecate on your self daily.

Your family can only cry and hope insurance or the money don't run out.

Take a "sound mind" out of the picture. As hard as it is to face, we just need to let some people die.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 11:18 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Think about Alzheimer's. You end up with no mind at all. Your motor and cognitive ability slowly decline until you don't know anyone, you don't know where you are, you can't walk, you can't eat and eventually you can't breathe. You slowly forget how to do it all. The whole process takes 7+ YEARS.

In the mean time your spouse and children are dealing with you not knowing them, with you loosing control of bodily function, your emotional stability goes haywire so you yell, cuss, are suspicious and have hallucinations.

In the mean time doctors are prescribing pills, special care units that are locked down, meds to keep you sedated because if you become violent you may get kicked out of the special care unit.

Your brain pretty much turns to jello, you drool and defecate on your self daily.

Your family can only cry and hope insurance or the money don't run out.

Take a "sound mind" out of the picture. As hard as it is to face, we just need to let some people die.
This is exactly what I'm afraid of. If it's just a physical illness I could figure out how to take care of that myself. But some sort of dementia? I would need some help. My mother lived into her 90's with no dementia, so I hope that's a positive sign for my aging prognosis, but it still scares the bejeebus out of me.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:20 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
As someone working in nursing homes and watching people suffer, develop bedsores, inability to eat without a tube in their stomach, etc, etc, I am happy we are finally evolving on this issue. If I had a dollar for every person who has said to me over the last 18 years "I just want God to take me" I would be rich.

Nothing is stopping them from jumping out of a window.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:23 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
What?! I seriously need to update my ignore list.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:55 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
We're only one floor. Also most are too weak to even get out of bed by themselves at that point.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:25 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I would just move to Oregon. It's only about an hour from here and they allow you to die with dignity.
I know two people who did this. It's the most humane thing anyone can do. Keeping people alive only to prolong their pain and misery is just horrible. No one should have to go through this. This is a step in the right direction.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:28 PM

1,077 posts, read 871,165 times
Quote:
You might be there one day, will you jump out that window?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
What?! I seriously need to update my ignore list.
Seriously, the amount of insanity. SMH

Last edited by Amythyst; 11-04-2015 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: sp error

Old 11-04-2015, 02:45 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,492,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Get a living will. I have one. Plus let your whole family know what you think. If I will have quality of life I chose to stay alive. When it goes to no more quality then its time to pull the plug!!! Give me drugs and let me go peacefully!!! If not give me a nice drug cocktail I can take at home and die on my own terms!!
Good luck with that. Unless you catch the window/time period, in which hospice will take you, you will suffer. At least that's been my experience.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:51 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,295,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Good luck with that. Unless you catch the window/time period, in which hospice will take you, you will suffer. At least that's been my experience.
About 50 perks and a bottle of vodka will do just fine lol

Old 11-04-2015, 02:58 PM

17,604 posts, read 17,635,928 times
Slippery slope that should proceed with caution. Create one justification to end someone's life and another reason will rear its ugly head. It starts with those terminally ill or severe dementia. It then moves onto other less severe physical or mental conditions. At some point those who deal out death begin to loose sight of the value of life. This is a stepping stone to the return of the eugenics movement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events