Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 08:32 PM

51,259 posts, read 24,711,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
11 is 11. I don't care what you look like 11 is 11. That's pretty sick no matter how you slice it.
I agree. The age of majority is the law. Period.

Is it my imagination or am I sensing a different attitude since this is a woman molesting a boy, rather than a man molesting a girl?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 08:37 PM

5,881 posts, read 3,326,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I agree. The age of majority is the law. Period.

Is it my imagination or am I sensing a different attitude since this is a woman molesting a boy, rather than a man molesting a girl?
There should not be a different set of standards. However I think there is. Women criminals are treated differently than males in most cases.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:41 PM

23,649 posts, read 14,177,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
Amazing.

I wonder if you'd be saying this same thing if the 11 year old in question was a female, and the perpetrator was a male?
Yes, I'd be saying the same because both situations still do apply, biologically and socially.

Taking it from the social standpoint, where we crucify the offender when the age is about a victim but prosecute the age when they are offender, it really upsets our system of laws when it comes to trying to get a conviction from a juror who knows how the laws are set up.

In short, our system is not suppose to be one where the laws apply to some of the people only some of the time.

If 11 is the age of a child, fine, but then, 11 must be a child, whether they are a victim or an offender. When someone says a certain child at 11 is not a child, then we should punish that person, whether that person is a pedophile or a prosecutor.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:52 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,240,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Yes, I'd be saying the same because both situations still do apply, biologically and socially.

Taking it from the social standpoint, where we crucify the offender when the age is about a victim but prosecute the age when they are offender, it really upsets our system of laws when it comes to trying to get a conviction from a juror who knows how the laws are set up.

In short, our system is not suppose to be one where the laws apply to some of the people only some of the time.

If 11 is the age of a child, fine, but then, 11 must be a child, whether they are a victim or an offender. When someone says a certain child at 11 is not a child, then we should punish that person, whether that person is a pedophile or a prosecutor.

wth? you are talking about two different things.

i think you are trying to say if this 11 year old boy was molested and considered a child, then if in a different scenario this same boy committed a crime such as, lets say he sexually molested his little 5 year old cousin, then he shouldn't be tried as an adult, as sometimes something like that may happen. i think this is what you are saying.

BUT! you need to start another thread, i think, if you are going to try to have that argument because it just does not fit in this case. this is an 11 year old boy who was molested by a 46 year old woman. it has nothing to do with any other case of a different child committing a crime and being tried as an adult. fwiw, i feel they try too many kids as adults and i don't really understand why they do that. but still, that argument does not belong here in this thread in my opinion.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:08 PM

19,924 posts, read 12,217,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
There could be, if the female is a 21 year old teaching assistant and the male is a 17 year old senior. I came pretty close to being the "victim" of something like that and didn't really mind. (The girl in my case was not a teacher.)

11 is the problem. Hard prison time.
In your scenario she would not be a pedophile due to the age of the victim.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post
wth? you are talking about two different things.

i think you are trying to say if this 11 year old boy was molested and considered a child, then if in a different scenario this same boy committed a crime such as, lets say he sexually molested his little 5 year old cousin, then he shouldn't be tried as an adult, as sometimes something like that may happen. i think this is what you are saying.
NO, I am not saying that.

Here, we have an adult who went after an 11 year old and we are ready to burn her at the stake because it is "just so obvious" that going after someone who is 11 is just so wrong.

Yet, why aren't we screaming the same thing when a prosecutor says he is going to try an 11 year old as an adult for whatever crime?

In both situations, they are both children at 11 years old.

Yet it seems we like to have it both ways as it suits our purpose. So we have two situations here in that we have two kinds of people who go after children who expose them to adult situations but we will only condemn one of them.

Secondly, in a system of laws where sometimes the age is a child but other times the age is an adult, it makes it very hard to apply the law. If one wants a juror to be able to say that a person is guilty, they can't have a society where the moral applies only some of the time.....ESPECIALLY if the government is the one using the situation in the opposite direction.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:10 PM

369 posts, read 376,403 times
Now, let's just cut the bull. A lot of men probably do not see young males who an older woman had sex with as being victims. I guess it is due to the gender dynamic.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:45 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,240,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
NO, I am not saying that.

Here, we have an adult who went after an 11 year old and we are ready to burn her at the stake because it is "just so obvious" that going after someone who is 11 is just so wrong.

Yet, why aren't we screaming the same thing when a prosecutor says he is going to try an 11 year old as an adult for whatever crime?

In both situations, they are both children at 11 years old.

Yet it seems we like to have it both ways as it suits our purpose. So we have two situations here in that we have two kinds of people who go after children who expose them to adult situations but we will only condemn one of them.

Secondly, in a system of laws where sometimes the age is a child but other times the age is an adult, it makes it very hard to apply the law. If one wants a juror to be able to say that a person is guilty, they can't have a society where the moral applies only some of the time.....ESPECIALLY if the government is the one using the situation in the opposite direction.
actually that is what i said you were trying to say. you just said it differently. you are saying in one case an 11 year old is a child and another case an 11 year old is tried as an adult.

but i don't understand why you are bringing that up in this case. no 46 year old PERSON male or female should be going after someone who is 11 years old.

i think that an 11 year old child should never be charged as an adult for any crime. and it does happen. it shouldn't. i don't understand why it does. an 11 year old can be super mature and look older and all of that, but they are still only 11 years old. but that still does not have anything to do with this case!

Old 11-11-2015, 12:01 AM

5,881 posts, read 3,326,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lucas View Post
Now, let's just cut the bull. A lot of men probably do not see young males who an older woman had sex with as being victims. I guess it is due to the gender dynamic.
I actually agree with you however 11 years old is a problem don't ya think?

Old 11-11-2015, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post
........ but that still does not have anything to do with this case!
It does from one angle.

For this person we are trying to convict for this crime, our practice of trying children as adults creates a condition where we try a person for victimizing children, but the government does the same and says it is okay.

In a way, it's like the Traci Lords defense. Slightly. How did the movie producers escape conviction? They claimed that she presented valid ID that said she was an adult.......and the government that was prosecuting them also issued her valid ID, passport, that said she was an adult. (the Doenitz example of unrestricted submarine warfare...where the US was doing the exact thing in the Pacific is a better example).

If we want to convict these people, we have to stop practicing this double standard. The sooner we start, the better.......because it will probably take 30 years to remove this perceived conflict from our system of justice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events