Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 07:04 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,556,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
1) NATO cannot give up on Turkey, as they are strategically important in that region.
"Cannot give up on"? If you mean "since we need them we can overlook the fact that they aren't really an ally", then I can agree. However if you mean that at some point you believe they will become a true ally, I would encourage you to try getting blood from a turnip, as you will have about the same success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 07:08 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,982,719 times
What that tells me is that a good portion of the Muslims in attendance (which should represent a slice of the population per say) were already radicalized or have a complete disdain for western culture, which is no surprise. Just goes to show you that the more inclusive we become, the more forgiving and lenient, the harder they will push us for even more.

ISIS says it best when they tell us that they will kill us, that they want to die, and they want us to bring them that death so they may kill as many of us on their way out as possible.

If that doesn't scare the crap out of you and make you want to act, I don't know what will.

But hey, God is Great right?

Old 11-18-2015, 07:14 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
What that tells me is that a good portion of the Muslims in attendance (which should represent a slice of the population per say) were already radicalized or have a complete disdain for western culture, which is no surprise. Just goes to show you that the more inclusive we become, the more forgiving and lenient, the harder they will push us for even more.

ISIS says it best when they tell us that they will kill us, that they want to die, and they want us to bring them that death so they may kill as many of us on their way out as possible.

If that doesn't scare the crap out of you and make you want to act, I don't know what will.

But hey, God is Great right?
I have never been to Turkey but know several friends that have been there from different social circles. All have loved it and said it is very secular. One man goes what I would consider fairly often and will be retiring to Greece (He is an American born in America) and will travel there frequently. He likes to take pictures and wonders around on his own.

Another is an upper middle class single woman and she loves it as well. I was very skeptical but other people I know that have been also like it.

Turkey is starting to have some problems now.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:15 AM

21,096 posts, read 19,703,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
The victims. I originally entered the entire title, but the last of it was cut off. Guess it was too long.

Turkish Soccer Fans Boo a Minute’s Silence for the Victims of Paris Attacks
I can't access the Time link because it clicks off each time, but the Reuters article
Turkey fans boo minute's silence for Paris victims | Reuters is kind of ambiguous whether the booing was intended as a sign of disrespect to the victims or disapproval of the terrorists. Turkey itself has been victimized by the terrorists and is at war with them.

I guess it's just hard for me to believe that people could be so cruel as to boo victims.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:16 AM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,360 times
NATO took a calculated risk by allowing Turkey membership. At the time it was split 50/50 to let them in. I was for it. I felt Turkey had made strides to become a more moderate country and was worth the risk. Wishful thinking on my part. While Turkey has it's uses this is as good as they are going to get. Like most plans that have to do with middle eastern countries the best intentions always seemingly don't go as plan and back fire horribly. The region just doesn't work within a western worlds vision.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:22 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,553,456 times
if it walks like a pig and acts like pig, it is in fact a pig.

Turkey tries to make the world see them a civilized non radical country. But those of us who aren't easily folled know it's just perfume on that pig.

Pigs

Old 11-18-2015, 07:25 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,553,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
If this is true, it's disgusting. Shame on them.
they're just living up to most people's understanding of them. After all, this is a country where you can get arrested for calling their BRUTAL murder of 1.5 million Christians "genocide".

Old 11-18-2015, 07:26 AM

24,476 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Nothing surprises me when it comes to the depths of uncaring cruel idiots out of the middle east.

Who remembers when the twin towers fell they were cheering in the streets?

How about more recently when John Kerry was brokering the worse deal in history and giving Iran everything they want to build a nuclear bomb and getting nothing in return the crowds were out front shouting "Death to America"

They hate everything we stand for. They only tolerate us because we give them so much aide money.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:07 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
So a few fans boo at some soccer match and Americans go nuts over it? Turkey allowed the US to launch aggressive attacks against a lot of our foes over there, but Americans just disregard it due to some booing at some soccer match. What an odd country I live in really. Geez! We sure are full of hate and have NO christian values at all.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:09 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
I would like to take this opportunity to point out the following (which should be obvious to all)...

Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople
Why did Constantinople get the works?
That's nobody's business but the Turks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events