Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 03:38 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,812,030 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't mind a good venison stew, but the deer that roam my property feel like friends to me. They stand around and nibble on stuff in my yard. I enjoy watching them grow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 03:40 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Of course, because hamburger and chicken and pork chops just show up plastic wrapped, they arent killed.

Oh wait...
It's not about killing, it's about poaching. Maybe the problem is that some people don't know the difference.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:43 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judeK View Post
Actually a box of .22 caliber ammo costs about $13.00 for a 50 round box, while my Whitetail Pro Core-Lokt hunting 30-06 big game ammo costs me a whopping $21.00. and my Henry Lever Action rifle cost me new a whole $179.00 on sale 20 years ago. Not 50K!
This looks like a good place to jump back in!

Was that 30-06 at $21 for 50 rounds.......or 20?

One of the things I noticed as I glanced at Carbelo's and Academy's ads for this week is that often, they didn't list the amount of rounds in the box (I suppose it might have been on the picture of the box if one could read that small). Being a shooter, however, I know what is common in a box for a caliber, so I have to wonder just what they were really advertising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
.......I don't know a thing about the particular incident the OP has highlighted. But it is wrong for anyone to think that in WV the only reason to hunt is because a person enjoys killing animals.
Just a news story I came across while looking at a multi state, years long animal hoarding case and it was current (the deer, not the hoarding, that story broke in September). So I thought I would post it Current Events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It's not about killing, it's about poaching. Maybe the problem is that some people don't know the difference.
Yes, it is, and admittedly, as that protection of a country's natural resources is one of my LE research specialties, I take a dim view of poaching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Is killing animals for sport all that much fun? I'm assuming these people aren't starving and have access to a grocery store.
There is a particular angle to that line of thought which suggests not to take it so lightly. Inuit/Eskimos who were converted from their hunting lives to have modern food have had various health problems. Basically, those whose bodies have been conditioned to eating the hunt have not done well when converted to eating from the grocery store.

Now, does that apply to the American in West Virginia? I don't know.....but I'd rather have my salmon caught in the open ocean than raised on a farm because there are indications, at least, that the meat is different. As it is, I don't think I can get wild caught salmon at my grocery store without a lot of cash (if at that) for a lot of it is farm raised. I saw some fillets (can't get the whole fish anymore) on sale for $5.99/lb, from Chile, farm raised.

Of course, here we are talking deer, not fish, but as to the thought of getting it from the grocery, we-ll..............

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 11-27-2015 at 03:57 PM..

Old 11-27-2015, 03:46 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
a

You would be wrong to assume that about West Virginia. About 18% of WV families live below the Federal poverty designation. The percentage of children living in poor families is 26.6%. Those statistics are higher for rural counties where employment is less plentiful.

Personally, I'm no fan of hunting. But I was born in that Devil's Triangle where Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Ohio meet. I was raised among people who hunt. There was heavy absenteeism in my high school as hunting season opened and the school looked the other way. The vast majority of those hunters eat what they kill. Yes, many of them consider hunting a sport, too, and something they enjoy. But when people are in poverty, they often go out in terrible weather to get food for their families. Butchers in the area will cut up a deer for a small fee and often will hold the venison in their freezers for the customer's future use. And by the way, deer are plentiful in that part of the country; hunting seasons are extended by state game commissions when the herds are dangerously over-sized because otherwise many deer would starve to death.

I don't know a thing about the particular incident the OP has highlighted. But it is wrong for anyone to think that in WV the only reason to hunt is because a person enjoys killing animals.
I'll say it just one more time. My gripe isn't about hunting when it's legal to do so. My gripe is people thinking they can go out and hunt anything they want to, when they want to even when it's illegal to do so. It has nothing to do with pretty wrapped up meat at the grocery store.
If someone is truly needing to hunt to put food on the table for a hungry family and can not seriously afford to buy groceries, that's another story but I doubt the majority of poachers fall into this category. The thread was about poaching deer, not about anything else.

Old 11-27-2015, 04:01 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,413,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
I've met some illegal hunters that hunt for food year round, usually they qualify as poor white trash, but they have a 50K arsenal of weapons and ammo, in case the gubmint outlaws guns, so yeah they could go shopping if they were not spending $50 on a box of .22 ammo
What would we do without rhetoric?

Old 11-27-2015, 04:05 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Hunting is not cheap at all!!!!!

My husband like to hunt..........but, it costs us more than buying a beef each year.

The cost of shells is a small part of hunting.

Old 11-27-2015, 04:06 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Considering that many neighborhoods are overrun with deer, maybe they should allow it certain days. With safety precautions, of course.

Old 11-27-2015, 04:08 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Considering that many neighborhoods are overrun with deer, maybe they should allow it certain days. With safety precautions, of course.
The call it "hunting season".

Old 11-27-2015, 04:11 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
IMO.........their intentions was to sale the deer.
Sell not sale

Old 11-27-2015, 04:12 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Hunting is not cheap at all!!!!!

My husband like to hunt..........but, it costs us more than buying a beef each year.

The cost of shells is a small part of hunting.

If cost is a problem your husband should learn to process his own kill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events