Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 07:43 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Another choice by him which just raises cost, have you tried running cattle?
We would have no pasture for cattle...........and that would be work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 07:44 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
We would have no pasture for cattle...........and that would be work.

Hey look there it goes right over your head

Old 11-28-2015, 08:04 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
I've met some illegal hunters that hunt for food year round, usually they qualify as poor white trash, but they have a 50K arsenal of weapons and ammo, in case the gubmint outlaws guns, so yeah they could go shopping if they were not spending $50 on a box of .22 ammo
Here in New York, for every "subsistence" poacher, there's probably ten that pretty much fit this mode. They don't poach because they need the meat, they poach because they think they think they're above the law and think they can get away with it ... among their other transgressions. They're just redneck outlaws who give white trash a bad name.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
One particular guy I know takes both deer and turkeys right out of his back yard. His place borders a big "holler" , so it doesn't cost but the price of a cartridge . The turkeys are considered a nuisance by the locals, there's so many of them. The state tried introducing coyotes to help control them. Not such a bright idea. Now they have a coyote and a turkey problem.

I took a walk into that holler whilst visiting once. I swear, there was either a deer or a turkey behind every tree. A true, traditional Thanksgiving dinner would be easy to do. The deer aren't very big. Nothing like a NV Muley. But there's enough of them to make up in number what they lack in size. I can't see deer becoming extinct in WV even with year round hunting.
No state introduced coyotes to the any Eastern state. That's just somebody's anti-government rant that's become rural rather than urban legend. The Eastern coyotes migrated from further west and north as the marginal farmlands in the East were gradually abandoned and turned to scrub and second growth forest and ex-urban development patterns. Along the way, as revealed by their DNA, they apparently mixed with some wolves (probably from Canada) which is what makes them bigger and more robustly built than the typical western coyotes.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Of course not...........but, the chance it would still be on our land goes up.
Only if you are hunting in the middle of your property and not near any boundary. The problem is that deer don't respect property lines. Instead of buying up thousands of acres to create a private hunting kingdom, most sensible country people recognize this problem and just become friends with their neighbors so that they can trail wounded deer across each others' lands.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Only if you are hunting in the middle of your property and not near any boundary. The problem is that deer don't respect property lines. Instead of buying up thousands of acres to create a private hunting kingdom, most sensible country people recognize this problem and just become friends with their neighbors so that they can trail wounded deer across each others' lands.
Good neighbors always hunt away from property lines.......it is just part of being a good sportsmen.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:12 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
No state introduced coyotes to the any Eastern state. That's just somebody's anti-government rant that's become rural rather than urban legend. The Eastern coyotes migrated from further west and north as the marginal farmlands in the East were gradually abandoned and turned to scrub and second growth forest and ex-urban development patterns. Along the way, as revealed by their DNA, they apparently mixed with some wolves (probably from Canada) which is what makes them bigger and more robustly built than the typical western coyotes.
I got that coyote tidbit from my local acquaintances, oh, years ago, always took it at face value. Found some supporting information, did some poking around in various places back there. Talked to some people in a place called Dicks in the Clarksburg area. The locals believed it.

After reading your post I went web crawling. WV DNR vehemently denies the story, and upon reflection, I bieve them, and recant my comment.. Oh, they have a coyote issue, but it didn't come from an artificial introduction. I've done a lot of varmint hunting. That country back there is heaven for yotes. 4 days of calling, I got two. Out here, Im used to 4-5 a day. However, the two I got, and the ones I saw were a lot smaller than our yotes around here. Not bigger. My last foray back there was close to ten years ago though.

I've seen some recent articles about Eastern yotes that say they are ...evolving...rapidly. Here, a 40# coyote is pretty common. When we've had a wet winter, and the rabbit numbers are high, they get big, and numerous. The ones I saw back there weren't even big enough to take on full grown deer. They don't prey on deer much here. They are fine of sheep though, and calves/foals as well. They use a nasty tactic for the latter two, I won't go into.

Anyway, it was easy enough to believe the WV coyote story, but thanks for steering me right. People are still disseminating the story back there, but other I formation I found rather debunks it. Still, its easy to believe such a thing is within government thinking. Some of the "programs" that "biologists" have come up with here are about as silly a concept.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Good neighbors always hunt away from property lines.......it is just part of being a good sportsmen.

Well that's simply your opinion of a good neighbor but it's certainly not reality or how everyone else may feel

Old 11-28-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Well that's simply your opinion of a good neighbor but it's certainly not reality or how everyone else may feel
LOL...........set your tree stand or, blind with your bait near a fence line.........see how long before you lose it all.

Trail cams have made it harder to teach a hunter not to hunt the fence line........but, many are still sorry.

Plus..........the closer you hunt to a fence line.........the easier it is for an accidental shooting.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
LOL...........set your tree stand or, blind with your bait near a fence line.........see how long before you lose it all.

Trail cams have made it harder to teach a hunter not to hunt the fence line........but, many are still sorry.

Plus..........the closer you hunt to a fence line.........the easier it is for an accidental shooting.

I've done it plenty and so have neighbors and never once had an issue. May you aren't a good neighbor or your neighbors are bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events