Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 11:24 PM

138 posts, read 93,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
The "news" get more morbid by the day. I don't need to read about this. The visions I conjure up are very disturbing and unsettling to say the least.
Yes, those videos of harvested baby parts at Planned Parenthood weren't exactly appetizing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 12:12 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,966,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
During famine and war time people have been known to eat their pets when there was no other food source. It's all about survival. We are all animals after all.
There is a difference between people who have family pets and people whose pets are part of the family. Our pet is the latter so eating her is out of the question under all circumstances.

I feel horrible for the lady. Its sad when your life gets to a point where you have loved ones who care so little for you that they don’t check on you for weeks.......

Old 12-01-2015, 12:15 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
And they always say CATS are the ones who eat their owners ...

Any animal will eat its owner. But this was horrible - hoarding owner of too many animals.

Sad story.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:20 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Wonderful thoughts........

Way back when I was doing USN law enforcement, I started a system of check ins because after reading those various reports, I got to thinking, "How long can I be missing before someone starts looking for me?".

As it was with Mom, the system I started for my well being reversed to her and I was checking in with her twice a day, once in the morning and at night right before I went to work (in fact, it was one of the reasons why I got a cell phone because my land line long distance was becoming quite expensive). As things turned out, on the day of her stroke, my morning phone call had been delayed and I called "at the right time" to find out and get things rolling. Had I called more around the appropriate time, it might have been 12-16 hours later.

Sending out arrival messages to friends when I reach home on trips is standard for me. It comes from part of the LE, part of being pilot trained.

The thing is, I have to wonder if others are as dedicated to launch the alert about me. At work, they probably would be since I am a dedicated worker....and the only one on the mid shift. Without me, people have to shuffle to fill the chair. One brother might send out a searcher in a few days; he has before, from the apartment office, when my phone for some reason (I don't recall) went immediately to message and I guess I hadn't posted on FB for a few days (I guess).

Facebook is that interesting backup system, sort of like an automated position report. It's not interactive but at least one knows the person is active (and hopefully their style is recognized so another isn't doing it).

"Request you report your position IMMEDIATELY". I've sent a message like that out once or twice to a brother. I doubt they would be so formal with me, but I might get one at times. The thing is, the lag between send time and when a person answers up can be long and with an honest reason. There are enough times when my phone is off such as for class, meetings, being underwater, while driving, plays, sleep, or even cell tower dead zones. Of course, then there are those less than honest reasons why one might not immediately answer up......but I try to keep those to a minimum as I try to live my life as "If it showed up on the front page of the paper tomorrow, I will stand up and acknowledge it"......even though there are some things I hope never show up on the front page.

As my life changes for moving out to the ranch, that is another thing I have to add to my list, from check in schedules to maybe even emergency domes with first aid and comms if I break a leg somewhere in that 10 acres. Or perhaps a "Lassie" (that puts a twist on this event, doesn't it?) to go get help for it is decently populated out there.

Here's something to note. One of the people to call and check on me during one of our recent floods was........my broker.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:27 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
We had a local murder a few months ago in which a man was killed and, while the family members were out shopping for defense attorneys (that's another story), the family dog chewed on the body.

Also, I remember that woman who recived the first full face transplant because her dog gnawed at her face for hours while she was unconscious.

It's not pleasant to think about, but it happens.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:05 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
We had a local murder a few months ago in which a man was killed and, while the family members were out shopping for defense attorneys (that's another story), the family dog chewed on the body.

Also, I remember that woman who recived the first full face transplant because her dog gnawed at her face for hours while she was unconscious.

It's not pleasant to think about, but it happens.
Why was she unconscious at the time?

Old 12-01-2015, 07:17 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Why was she unconscious at the time?
I think she overdosed on sleeping pills. I believe she was French and, if I remember correctly, there was controversy over whether it was a sucide attempt, given the nature of the transplant and how recipients require screening.

Anyway, her dog tried to wake her (they say), and her lower face was, essentially, chewed off.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:42 AM

806 posts, read 958,428 times
Humans have eaten humans to survive (eg Donner Party & Flight 571), so why such uproar over animals eating humans to survive?

Old 12-01-2015, 07:52 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
The "news" get more morbid by the day. I don't need to read about this. The visions I conjure up are very disturbing and unsettling to say the least.
I'd say this happens way more than it is given credit for.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:59 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
Humans have eaten humans to survive (eg Donner Party & Flight 571), so why such uproar over animals eating humans to survive?
I'm not seeing any uproar. It's simply a sad news story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events