Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 08:37 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
Humans have eaten humans to survive (eg Donner Party & Flight 571), so why such uproar over animals eating humans to survive?
I don't think it's that the dogs ate her, it's more about, she had nobody checking on her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 10:22 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
I worry about this with my skating buddy. He's 84, lives alone, has no telephone, and is neglected by his family. He has a cat and I voiced my concern about the cat starving to death if something happened to him. His response was that he didn't care because he'd never know about it. Yikes.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:27 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,993,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I don't think it's that the dogs ate her, it's more about, she had nobody checking on her.
This is the truly sad part. She was alone, no friends or family to check in on her or care about her welfare. There are millions of people like her out there who will die alone.

The NYT recently published an excellent story about a man who lived alone for years and died alone.

I know this sounds macabre but I think I'd rather die and be eaten by my beloved pets than to die senselessly and violently at the hands of a drunk driver or some other man-made catastrophe.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:51 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,289,884 times
There are a lot of people who have no one checking on them because that is the life they chose to have in one way or another.

I think this type of story is quite common. At least pets were found before they died too.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:36 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
Humans have eaten humans to survive (eg Donner Party & Flight 571), so why such uproar over animals eating humans to survive?
Well, I guess people suppose that the dog in question really, really did not want to eat his owner out of loyalty (awww) but was forced to. I feel bad for the dog because the dude had decomposed by then. I can't even imagine eating rotten raw chicken breast . . . omg

Mick

Old 12-01-2015, 02:28 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,539,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
That is sad. But if I died, I'd prefer that my pets feed on me than die of starvation. It's just a body.
This, what do I care? I wouldn't know the difference anyway

*wakes up*

OUCH!!!!! lol

Old 12-01-2015, 02:34 PM

203 posts, read 193,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
You remember that X-Files episode, "Clyde Bruckman's Finale Response"?

we-ll.........................

Dogs eat owner's body after she laid undiscovered at home for weeks | News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KEYE

Well no one was there to feed him. No big Deal.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:35 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
There is a difference between people who have family pets and people whose pets are part of the family. Our pet is the latter so eating her is out of the question under all circumstances.

I feel horrible for the lady. Its sad when your life gets to a point where you have loved ones who care so little for you that they don’t check on you for weeks.......
That's what those people thought until there was no food and their children began to starve. These are true stories my relatives who lived in Eastern Europe during WWII told me. Beloved pets or beloved children which part of the family is going to be sacrificed in order to live a little longer? Pray you never have to choose.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:38 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'd say this happens way more than it is given credit for.
It does. This is not news. I found many stories about this when I was Googling cat vs dog eating people after the death of their owners. Apparently, EMTs run into these situations pretty often.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:39 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Life alert necklace for the elderly. I would insist my parents get it once they get older. Unfortunately it's probably not cheap enough for everyone.

Simply checking in once a day still means they could die in an emergency. Obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events