Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 12:45 AM

2,141 posts, read 1,386,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
Detroit; a model Democrat city.
I'm a Republican, But i have to ask you this.

Were the Democrats responsible for the pit bulls that killed this kid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 04:06 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,699,244 times
The link to Detroit being a Democrat city is that Democrats are generally poor managers. Most cities have dog catchers that take stray dogs off the street. Detroit has (or had until recently when a white businessman became mayor) chauffeur-driven limousines for its elected officials. Most cities focus on improving the condition of the neighborhoods. Detroit's politicians focused (until recently) on how all their problems were the result of the White Man and that they could not be expected to do anything about it so let's just sit back and collect bribe money for ourselves while the city goes to hell. Detroit is a corrupt city and the entire Wayne County is corrupt. I will say in fairness that it is not so much Democrat vs. Republican as it is Liberal vs. Conservative, because many of the suburbs are Democrat run but they follow conservative principles (low pay for elected officials, no perks, low overhead, limited programs, competitive bidding not crony deals with relatives of politicians, etc.)

Old 12-05-2015, 07:00 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
My bad. This thread is mostly about Pit Bulls, so I assumed Willow was a Pit Bull. I have never heard of hounds harming anyone.
Well, aside from causing people to collapse in stitches at the antics of some hounds.

BTW, have you seen that WONDERFUL hound used in the Idaho potato ads? The one that rides in the old pickup with his farmer person? That dog ain't gonna hurt anyone!
And that is my point........our hounds hunt bear..........and are deadly when they hunt.

Most of the time they tree the bear...........but, the big bear will turn and fight.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:07 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Pit Bull TERROR in Detroit-img_20150821_090643067-2-.jpg

Willow's first bear hunt.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:26 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,589 times
Would imagine the problem is with the owners not the breed. Most people owning them are in areas where there is a lot of drug activity,dog baiting and dog fighting. The dogs are trained to be mean as they protect the property where illegal activity takes place. Years ago it was German shepherds. The people least likely to be able to afford and keep a dog are the ones who own them and being chained up outdoors, with no shelter from the elements and lack of water,food and companionship can make even a decent animal become mean. Any breed left to run the neighborhoods can form a pack then there definitely can be trouble.Stiffer penalties need in place to where an owner loses the right to own an animal.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:48 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,878,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
meh, when I first got goats my pit killed one, she killed a chicken. I beat the snot out of her and taught her better. She never killed, chased or looked sideways at any of my livestock again. My son brought home a stray golden retriever. He killed two kids, Im not sure how many chickens. He was beaten, and worked with, etc. etc. Never could turn that instinct off and had to put him down.

I do agree though. It takes a more experience, training and constant supervision to own large, strong working type dogs. They are not ones you can leave to their own devices and let run amok or keep chained in the yard.

They didnt give the details of the owner or situation of the dogs but the opening line was pack of dogs. Pack. Thats often the case in attacks. Multiple dogs, male dogs, un-altered dogs getting loose. One, have you dog spayed or neutered, 2, make sure you have a secure yard/kennel.

Please tell me you used the word "beaten" very loosely

Old 12-05-2015, 10:50 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
Detroit; a model Democrat city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Really pathetic how some people politicize everything and take a horrific story like this and use it for their petty agendas.
Indeed. I agree completely. I assume you were also referring to the post above; which got the whole ball rolling.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:54 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Reminded my of the time my 2 dogs were in the back yard and a flock of geese flew over, honking away.

The Brittany was excited! Looking up and barking, she ran around in circles.
The Jack Russel mix? Nada.

Pit Bulls are dangerous. The thing that may be even more dangerous are Pit Bull owners.
A horrific death for that poor baby. I cannot imagine the horror his mother witnessed.

I do think all the wrong people tend to own bully breeds. They can't handle them or exercise them enough to keep their aggression in check OR do everything to make them more agressive.

I came home yesterday to dead baby bird on my deck (flew into the glass windows) - both my Westie and my Yorkie walked outside, sniffed it, and passed it right on by.

I own these small breeds because I know my limitations.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:19 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,878,056 times
Be realistic, this was ghetto living as it normally rolls.
I can't recall any (some must exist but I'd wager, are rare) stories of middle class children mauled to death by dogs.

Scum, both white trash and black thug variety, seem to looove to own pit bull/bully dogs.
Of COURSE dogs owned by scum will be mean dogs, more often than not, due to the savage way they are treated.

Any rescue will tell you, though, that some (SOME) of their most horrific abuse victims (Eagle's Den Rescue in rural NC comes to mind) are the nicest tempered; conversely, some abuse victims are so damaged they become and stay, vicious, or at the least, unpredictable.

Same as humans: some children savagely abused grow up damaged beyond repair (*raising my hand*) and some show nary a scar and go on to be awesome productive adults.

Generalization by breed is just stupid. Too many cases to support both results to make a general claim, beyond this:
dogs and children raised by scum will more likely experience tragedy as a result.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:21 AM

172 posts, read 251,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
So are you saying the dogs were Democrats, or their owners, or what? What does that have to do with the fatal mauling of a toddler, exactly?

I want a lot more information than they put in that article. Were the dogs being fought? Were they even being fed? What will they/can they do to dog owners like these? Do they own other dogs not involved in the mauling, and what will become of them? What about the little boy's poor mother? My heart breaks for her and her son. What a terrifying way to die.

We seem to have a large number of these packs-of-dogs-killing-someone stories lately, and most of them are right here in MI with me. Not to pee in anyone's Cheerios, but most of the attacks have been by packs of German Shepherds or, sometimes, mutts, and two of them have been right by me in a supposedly nice, desirable, crime-free rural area. In one case, an elderly man was killed; in another, someone trying to protect her horse from a pack of dogs owned by someone who refused to put them behind a fence. (I think the horse died as well.)

It's not the breed of dog; it's the species of owner.
Excellent post. My guess is that the dogs WERE being fought, or were trained to attack. Or both.

We have many pit bulls in my neighbrhood, 2 of them right here in the building I live in. I've never heard of a single pit bull attack in my neighborhood. But then again none of the ones around here are used as fighting dogs, they all appear to be pampered pets, as it should be . And it shows in their behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events