Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 09:32 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,444 times

Advertisements

It usually seems to be same four episodes repeated over and over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 09:33 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
NBC did it during the last Winter Olympics. There was broadcast right until the games started and then during viewing hours they simply reduced broadcast power or otherwise made sure their broadcast wasn't very good, enough to make watching them worthless.

Right after the games were over, back to normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
It is not that NBC reduced power that caused the problem. Power and quality of your picture were reduced by the sheer number of people that were watching T.V. at the time. There is only so much power as you call it available at one time. If there are fewer people running their T.V. the signal gets better. If there are more people using it, the picture quality goes down. The system is designed for average use. When all available T.V. sets are running, they are overloading the system and the picture quality goes down.
This is just sooooooooo WRONG.

OTA broadcast DOES NOT suffer from degraded signal quality if more people watch it. It does not matter whatsoever whether there is one person watching, or 100,000,000 people watching, the signal quality will be exactly the same for everyone at the same distance from the transmitting antenna.

EM waves (TV/radio) conform to known laws, and the primary factors in signal quality are the power of the signal being transmitted, and the receiver's distance from the transmitting antenna. A secondary consideration is the existence of obstructions in the Line Of Sight {LOS} between the transmitter and receiver, such as buildings/hills. The considerations for these factors are the ERP (Effective Radiated Power) and the HAAT (Height Above Average Terrain) of the transmitting antena. The FCC (Federal Communications Commission) sets the regulations for broadcast transmitters as to ERP and HAAT according to the characteristics of several zones within the US, in order to eliminate/minimize interference from broadcasters using the same frequencies, so that the signal does not travel more than a certain distance, which (depending on the frequency, and type of modulation) is a maximum of 149.5 miles under usual/normal conditions. Some signals are limited to shorter distances.

Under optimum conditions (no obstructions of LOS), with a transmitter operating at a given amount of power, the major factor in signal strength at the receiver is the receiver's distance from the transmitting antenna. Leaving out the mind-numbing calculations (for those of us who suck at math) of Planck's and Maxwell's equations, the fundamental law of physics we are concerned with here is that a radiated EM signal behaves according to an inverse-square law- to put it simply, if you double the distance of the receiver from the transmitter, the signal strength decreases by a factor of four.

Thus, a receiver located 40 miles from the transmitter will measure a signal 16 times lower than a receiver located 10 miles from the transmitter.

The number of seperate receivers using seperate antennas makes absolutely no difference at all to the signal strength at any other receiver. The only time the number of receivers is an issue is when using a closed, bandwidth-limited system such as cable or a coaxial distribution system using a single Master Antenna. In the case of a MA distribution system, the proper way to connect is to amplify the signal at the point where it enters the distribution box, this will increase the signal levels available to account for the drain of multiple receivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsmith680
I will disconnect TV now that the troops have been here for t-day. Charter will now charge me $40.00 to reconnect next year. Many of us, especially in rural areas have no choice of providers. I would have to cut a bunch of trees to have line of sight for satellite options. We have no option for over the air digital broadcast. We used to get about 2-1/2 channels before digital wiped us out. (you must be within about a 70 mi radius for digital reception)
This is technically incorrect. It would be [almost] true if both the transmitting antenna and the receiving antenna were at ground level, at which a distance of 80 miles would eliminate LOS due to the curvature of the Earth. However, by raising the height of the transmitting antenna and the receiving antenna, this distance can be increased.

At these extended distances it is true that signal strength is substantially reduced (according to the inverse-square law mentioned above), but there are several other considerations by which a useable signal can be obtained if the transmitter is not too under-powered. The signal itself is NOT 'digital', it is still an electromagnetic wave just the same as it always has been, this cannot be changed. The only thing that has changed is the method by which the data carried by the wave is encoded. (The horsepuckey that a 'digital' antenna is needed to receive the 'digital' signal is completely false.)

To optimize reception at extended distances, one needs to raise the entenna as high as possible, use an antenna that is tuned to the frequencies to be received, and to amplify the signal between the antenna and receiver. The main issue with digital reception is that there is a much sharper cut-off point at which the signal is useable. With the old analog receivers, signal degradation would be perceived as 'snow' (visible) and hiss (audible), which, although somewhat annoying, would result in a continuous though degraded picture and audio, tolerable, if you wanted to watch it bad enough.

With the digital encoding though, signal degradation results in data loss, and, lacking the data to decode, the receiver exhibits blocky pixelation and audio cutouts. The digital data requires a better signal-to-noise ratio than analog modulation. In-line amplification can improve the signal but there are certain limitations. One is that the amplifier is indiscriminate, and it amplifies noise as well as the desired signal. Another limitation is that the amplifier itself will introduce additional noise, and the receiver must be able to discriminate between the noise and the desired signal. Receiver quality matters here, and when the receiver is unable to determine the signal from the noise it causes the 'no signal' message to appear. Some receivers are better than others. A directional antenna that can be rotated is handy too.

Also, some amplifiers are better than others. You can get cheap ones for five or six bucks that will do the job if you are close enough, but for more extended distances more expensive Low Noise Amplifiers (LNAs) are required- these inject less noise into the system than the el-cheapos. I currently have 3 cheap amplifiers in-line, which is almost sufficient without introducing too much noise, the one exception is the bonehead engineer at a particular station who (apparently) is completely ignorant of the laws of physics as applied to EM waves- he seems to have had the [completely false] impression that the change to 'digital' meant that he could decrease his ERP from 15Kw to 3Kw with no loss in quality to the further receivers. He needs a dope-slap.

There is a company called Wineguard that makes some very good antennas and amplifiers. At some point, I'll put up one of their antennas and install a couple of LNAs.

As it is, just with OTA broadcast I get more TV than I have time to watch. I currently have two HDD DVRs (with receivers), two combo DVD/VHS recorders (one with receiver, one without) and two VHS VCRs (analog receivers). The combo DVD/VHS with no receiver and the regular VHS recorders are hooked into external receivers. We just record whole series and dump them to DVD disks, maybe someday we'll have time to watch them...we're only two or three years behind at the moment.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:40 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,909,256 times
I have not had a television (and by default, cable) in over ten years. The only reason that there was a television in my house with cable for a three year period prior was because I was married and my wife watched a total of two shows a week (like WTF) and required it. I never watched it.

Television has no place my life since I'm so busy redefining the meaning of the term rock star and have a limited amount of remaining time to do it. Time is a finite resource. Wasting it watching television is an indirect statement that you do not value life. Human beings are interesting creatures. Possessing so much potential in every way at the dawn of life and so much of that potential is systematically wasted over the course of a limited amount of years until it is all over and the one and only chance that a person had to make a difference, experience to extremes and take hold of the flame known as life is thrown away. It's really sad.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:44 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,732,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
I have not had a television (and by default, cable) in over ten years. The only reason that there was a television in my house with cable for a three year period prior was because I was married and my wife watched a total of two shows a week (like WTF) and required it. I never watched it.

Television has no place my life since I'm so busy redefining the meaning of the term rock star and have a limited amount of remaining time to do it. Time is a finite resource. Wasting it watching television is an indirect statement that you do not value life. Human beings are interesting creatures. Possessing so much potential in every way at the dawn of life and so much of that potential is systematically wasted over the course of a limited amount of years until it is all over and the one and only chance that a person had to make a difference, experience to extremes and take hold of the flame known as life is thrown away. It's really sad.
Works if you don't work or love your work. Most people work to sustain a living and many times they don't enjoy it. Watching TV after slaving away during the day is fine.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:44 AM

593 posts, read 667,613 times
I recently cut the cable out and it was one of the best choices i have ever made. First off, i rarely used my cable TV for much more than noise, i am not a hardcore sports fan or TV show follower. For the most part i turn it on to something that peaks my interest for an hour or so before bed. I was paying $135/month for cable and TV and finally had enough. Signed up for just internet on a new customer deal and got high speed for $24.99/month. Dropped another $8 on hulu and grabbed a netflix username and password from a family member for free. Now i pay $33/month and have access to nearly everything i want to watch and tons of movies. Its by no means perfect and it sucks when there's a sporting event i actually want to watch, but overall it was a great choice that will save me about $1200 this year.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:55 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,454,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post

That's what I like about the NFL is all the games are on regular, local channels.
I don't think this is correct. The weekend games are on broadcast TV (FREE). But Monday Night Football and Thursday Night Football after Week 8 are on cable only.

Also, at the beginning of the playoffs, some of the Wild Card games are on ESPN.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:29 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,732,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
I don't think this is correct. The weekend games are on broadcast TV (FREE). But Monday Night Football and Thursday Night Football after Week 8 are on cable only.

Also, at the beginning of the playoffs, some of the Wild Card games are on ESPN.
Yep, football is the only thing I really watch on TV. Other sports (hockey, MLB, NBA) I only watch when it's playoff time. And even then I'm only half interested.

Football is the only sport that holds my interest.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:42 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
My apartment's in a similar spot, bottom floor of a three story building, halfway underground, right next to the parking lot with two cars parked 10 feet from my window, plus power lines running past and close to this side of the building. I found one spot in my apartment that I get reception with my amplified Mohu Leaf Ultimate antenna. And it must not be a fluke because after I found that spot I noticed another reviewer on Amazon mentioned it was the only place they could get reception as well.

My antenna's about 10" from the ceiling right where my front wall (has a long window) and interior wall meet. The Mohu has two holes to put push pins through to hold it up on the wall. It's actually placed on the interior wall, but the edge of it is right where the walls meet. I get every local station fine, only problem is when it gets very windy. My personal video recorder the antenna is connected to needs a perfect signal. Also, if I don't have the amplifier plugged in the antenna doesn't pick up anything.
I do have something similar to this I had plugged into my digital converter box when it worked in my previous location. I would have to get the USB AC adapter because my TV doesn't have USB ports. It's too old. I could try this but there aren't too many places I can put my bulky old TV in my apartment. In fact, it's pretty much in the only place where there is any room for it. It's where an interior wall and window meet.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:32 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,383,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
It is not that NBC reduced power that caused the problem. Power and quality of your picture were reduced by the sheer number of people that were watching T.V. at the time. There is only so much power as you call it available at one time. If there are fewer people running their T.V. the signal gets better. If there are more people using it, the picture quality goes down. The system is designed for average use. When all available T.V. sets are running, they are overloading the system and the picture quality goes down.
Broadcast TV doesn't work that way. An antenna receives the signal. How many other receiving the same signal makes no difference.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:27 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,471,073 times
We dropped cable TV last year. We kept the basic local channels for under $8 a month. We got tired of seeing the same movies and programs being run over and over again. At best we watch an hour or two of TV a day.

Time Warner needs to change before it goes out of business. We'll go back when we can pick and pay for only the channels we want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events