Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2015, 01:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
For all practical purposes, the mother did want the trip cancelled if Santa was at the café. The so-called 'compromise' was going to the café for hot chocolate only if Santa wasn't there.

"Inclusiveness" is fine and dandy. In 20, 25 years, 'Inclusiveness' might be a religion of its own. I agree with the mother, seeing Santa shouldn't be the centerpiece of a school trip.
Where did you get that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So in your mind because you found an image on the internet of a santa figure doing storytime with Santa in one church that leaves no doubt that Santa is the symbol for the virgin birth of a savior of mankind and that a mythical figure formed of legends of pagan gods and 4th century saints among many others is a Christian ? And this overrides your experience of actually going to Christian church services where you never ever saw or heard reference to Santa Clause.

I'm very surprised someone hasn't complained about those vintage postage stamps. But those are from an independent website (zazzle) not from the US post office.

No I dont have Jewish friends and we really aren't talking about back n the day. But I'm around enough 5 year old to form the opinion that they don't stress trying to explain to other 5 year old why they dont do XYZ like some others do. There probably just upset because they cant see Santa.

Why dont you cost it out. Figure how much that cost you as most monies for public schools are generated from property taxes within that district. My guess would be $0.
I found numerous pictures showing Santa in the churches. Many churches embrace Santa. Santa is after all a take-off on St. Nicholas, a saint in the Catholic church. Here are some articles about church Christmas parties with Santa:
The Lucky Layman's: Santa Claus Attempt #2~Church Christmas Party
https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,1816193&hl=en (From 1948, no less!)
https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/new...giving-smiles/
And much more.

Here's a link from the postal service itself: https://store.usps.com/store/browse/...holiday-stamps
Happy now?

Quote:
Like coloring or watching movies?

Really we dont know they spent an entire week on Santa/Christmas. We know they wrote a letter to Santa. Seriously doubt that took a week. In any event, IMO, this should be something put on the agenda for a scheduled school board meeting to allow everyone to voice their opinions and come up with a compromise for any future holiday activity or none at all. I hope they are getting the jump on Valentine day and Easter at this school.
The mom said they spent five days on Christmas. Read the link.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:47 PM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Consider me shocked. Not.

And no, they are not upset at not getting to see Santa if they don't believe in Santa because they don't celebrate Christmas.
You know you don't have to be snarky. So I didn't grow up in a Jewish community or a diverse community for that matter. Wasn't my choosing.

You nor I either one know what was going thru some kids head 40 years ago. Are we suppose to shoulder some guilt because some children throughout time had different beliefs than the majority of the community they lived in. If they felt left out or different because of their faith or culture its because their parents made them feel that way. They could just as easily enjoy the non religious festivities and take the opportunity to teach others about their celebrations then to bemoan others enjoying a celebration they dont partake in.

Im not Irish but Ill drink some green beer and eat cabbage rolls on St. Patricks day, Im not Mexican but Ill drink Tequila and eat tacos on Cinco de Mayo, Im not AA but I will take the day off on MLK day.

Quote:
And despite all the tap dancing, Santa = Christmas. Doesn't matter if he's a religious figure, he's still a symbol of a Christian holiday.
Yes Santa is an icon of secular Christmas, celebrations observed by non-Christians, atheists, what have you and it does matter if it is a religious activity if you are basing your complaint on lack of alternative religious observances. Dont forget its as much a pagan and non-christian holiday as well when 90-95% of Americans celebrate it. Or are you going to tell me 90-95% of Americans are Christian?

Old 12-28-2015, 01:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
You know you don't have to be snarky. So I didn't grow up in a Jewish community or a diverse community for that matter. Wasn't my choosing.

You nor I either one know what was going thru some kids head 40 years ago. Are we suppose to shoulder some guilt because some children throughout time had different beliefs than the majority of the community they lived in. If they felt left out or different because of their faith or culture its because their parents made them feel that way. They could just as easily enjoy the non religious festivities and take the opportunity to teach others about their celebrations then to bemoan others enjoying a celebration they dont partake in.

Im not Irish but Ill drink some green beer and eat cabbage rolls on St. Patricks day, Im not Mexican but Ill drink Tequila and eat tacos on Cinco de Mayo, Im not AA but I will take the day off on MLK day.

Yes Santa is an icon of secular Christmas, celebrations observed by non-Christians, atheists, what have you and it does matter if it is a religious activity if you are basing your complaint on lack of alternative religious observances. Dont forget its as much a pagan and non-christian holiday as well when 90-95% of Americans celebrate it. Or are you going to tell me 90-95% of Americans are Christian?
LOL! Pot, meet Kettle!

Old 12-28-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
A visit to Santa is a nice experience for families. Let these lazy parents take their kids to see Santa on their own time. It's not the school's job.
You know. Let the deadbeat parents feed their kids too. Its not the schools job to feed them two meals a day during the school year and provide babysitting services and meals during the summer months and transportation. And tutoring? ELS classes, counseling, eye exams? Let these lazy parents take care of their own kids!

Old 12-28-2015, 02:00 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:

No, it's because you and people like you make them feel that way. My son is Jewish. He doesn't celebrate Christmas, he doesn't believe in Santa and he's not sad about that, except when someone like you thinks he has to follow your customs and beliefs instead of his own.

And stop, stop, stop saying CHRISTmas isn't CHRISTian. It doesn't matter that some people celebrate it in a secular way, it's still a reality that other people do not celebrate it at all because it's not part of their religion or belief system. You CHOOSING (as an adult) to drink green beer and tequila is not the same thing as a kindergartner being forced to participate in a week of Christmas activities (yes, that's in the link at the original post) culminating in a visit to Santa, all in observance of CHRISTmas. That is promoting the holiday of one religion above all others and that's not appropriate for a public school to do. Period.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:07 PM

[quote=Katarina Witt;42426231]
Quote:
Where did you get that?
Its in the article. Read the link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

I found numerous pictures showing Santa in the churches. Many churches embrace Santa. Santa is after all a take-off on St. Nicholas, a saint in the Catholic church. Here are some articles about church Christmas parties with Santa:
The Lucky Layman's: Santa Claus Attempt #2~Church Christmas Party
https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,1816193&hl=en (From 1948, no less!)
https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/new...giving-smiles/
And much more.

Here's a link from the postal service itself: https://store.usps.com/store/browse/...holiday-stamps
Happy now?

The mom said they spent five days on Christmas. Read the link.
So the mom said. I did read the link and several other articles.
And yes Christians also celebrate the secular Santa. Just because they go to church doesnt mean they cant celebrate secular things also, that doesnt make Santa religious.

The postal service has some nativity, Kwanzaa and Hannakuh stamps. And that proves what?

(The U.S. Supreme Court’s three-part test in Lemon v. Kurtzman (403 U.S. 602 (1971)) asks whether the government’s action has a secular purpose, advances or inhibits religion, or fosters an excessive entanglement with religion.)

Old 12-28-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
No, it's because you and people like you make them feel that way. My son is Jewish. He doesn't celebrate Christmas, he doesn't believe in Santa and he's not sad about that, except when someone like you thinks he has to follow your customs and beliefs instead of his own.

And stop, stop, stop saying CHRISTmas isn't CHRISTian. It doesn't matter that some people celebrate it in a secular way, it's still a reality that other people do not celebrate it at all because it's not part of their religion or belief system. You CHOOSING (as an adult) to drink green beer and tequila is not the same thing as a kindergartner being forced to participate in a week of Christmas activities (yes, that's in the link at the original post) culminating in a visit to Santa, all in observance of CHRISTmas. That is promoting the holiday of one religion above all others and that's not appropriate for a public school to do. Period.
Hey, I dont know any Jewish people so how can I make them feel bad. I have never even suggested that anyone follow my customs and beliefs.
I don't believe in Santa either. I put up a tree. That's Pagan. I don't attend Church service. I bought my grandsons a gift. I display Krampus not Santa.

No one was forced to do anything. Christmas is not a holiday of one religion over another. Ninty-95% of Americans celebrate Christmas. A secular holiday that happens to be on the same day the Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:20 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,607,008 times
Quote:
You know. Let the deadbeat parents feed their kids too. Its not the schools job to feed them two meals a day during the school year and provide babysitting services and meals during the summer months and transportation. And tutoring? ELS classes, counseling, eye exams? Let these lazy parents take care of their own kids!
Right. Because going to see Santa is the same as starvation, visual impairment, language barriers, being left home alone by yourself, and other generally life-threatening situations! You cannot be serious, can you?

Old 12-28-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrekMitPfeffer View Post
In a public school, where there are students of many diverse cultures, it is inappropriate to promote one specific holiday of any kind. Now, If they were say learning about different religions like I remember doing back in school, then it's okay as long as they're learning and experiencing different cultures.

I remember we would celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Chinese New Year, Easter, Yom Kippur, Rosh Hashana, Passover, etc.

As long as they're not promoting ONLY Christianity, then it's alright.
I agree for the most part. I dont see anything wrong with promoting American holidays. If you think it is inappropriate to promote any specific holiday they need to stop Easter, Halloween, Presidents day, MLK day, Labor day, Thanksgiving and any other holiday the schools acknowledge. If you do that I dont see why the school should be learning about any religion.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Right. Because going to see Santa is the same as starvation, visual impairment, language barriers, being left home alone by yourself, and other generally life-threatening situations! You cannot be serious, can you?
No but if its the parents job to take there kids to see santa or any non educational activity why is it the schools job to feed them, get them medical attention, babysit them or transport them?
Its a parents job to do those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events