Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2015, 10:39 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
The needs/wants of the many outweigh the needs/wants of the few, or in this case, the one
Here's the thing, I have no issue with my kids learning about the minority's cultures, histories, religions, etc. I actively encourage it. But I also recognize, by human nature, that communities of any stripe will have an influence on how their schools operate, what their calendars look like etc. Why is that a bad thing?

Old 12-22-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You might be surprised how many parents were relieved this trip was cancelled. Kids bringing wish lists to Santa that the parents know nothing about; parents who do celebrate Christmas that don't go in for the Santa thing, parents that simply want to de-emphasize Santa, etc.
Oh no. Kids wrote stuff that their parents didn't know about?! Oh my, no. Say it isn't so.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Yes, we do. What is wrong with that?
As I said pages and pages ago...this complaining over really insignificant non-issues hurts the argument for separation of church and state. People make themselves look like fools when they foam at the mouth over a nativity at the courthouse or a religious song at a school presentation.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:49 PM

After reading this thread in its entirety I've come to the conclusion that many people don't want a melting pot. They want a segmented society, schools stripped of community identity, robot-like students and a total gag order on anything religious, fun, magical, etc.

Or people are posturing for the interwebz.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:15 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
As I said pages and pages ago...this complaining over really insignificant non-issues hurts the argument for separation of church and state. People make themselves look like fools when they foam at the mouth over a nativity at the courthouse or a religious song at a school presentation.
The words of everyone who opposes separation of church and state, ever. Who are you to say that the complaints of non-Christians regarding the celebration of a Christian religious festival in a public stool funded in part by THEIR tax dollars is merely a "really insignificant non-issue"?

Put a statue of Shiva dancing on that courthouse lawn, or sing an Islamic song at a school presentation, and see just how fast the "really insignificant non-issue" becomes a very big issue indeed.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:22 PM

550 posts, read 637,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Tell you what, they come to school during Christian hollidaysmor our kids get out of school during theirs....last time I checked, the Jews got both.....message to the Jewish mom? Shaaadddup....

Why are people more willing to be rude behind a screen than they would ever be in real life??

Old 12-22-2015, 11:23 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
After reading this thread in its entirety I've come to the conclusion that many people don't want a melting pot.
A melting pot where everyone melts into a generic Christianity? No, a lot of people (including many Christians) definitely don't want that!

Quote:
They want a segmented society, schools stripped of community identity, robot-like students and a total gag order on anything religious, fun, magical, etc.
You cannot unify a community by using tools that drive people apart. And there is very little that is more divisive than religion.

American society, as a result of the way it was deliberately constructed, cannot successfully use religious symbols as a unifying force. We can use other things, though. See any bickering over Independence Day, Memorial Day, or Presidents Day?

E pluribus unum. Unite people with that.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:19 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,385,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Parents at a California elementary school took their kids out of class after their annual trip to visit Santa Claus was canceled following a complaint from a Jewish mom.
Good for her.

I am not Jewish. I don't think Santa belongs in the Public schools.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:37 AM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,508 times
Santa is a myth! Ask anybody. The roots may be St. Nick but St. Nick didn't drink Coca-Cola. What ever happened to common sense???

Old 12-23-2015, 02:21 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
There is nothing wrong with exposing non-Christian kids, such as mine, to Christian traditions and beliefs.

But Santa has become a contentious game between parents and children, with parents telling younger children that Santa is real, telling older children that Santa is fake and not to tell their younger siblings, and trying to explain the obvious fakes in every department store and town square to young children who want to believe.

If schools want to teach kids to be seekers after truth they should stay out of this. I see the mom's point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events