Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2015, 01:05 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
https://www.rockefellercenter.com/wh...tree-lighting/

What are all the NY people who don't celebrate Christmas gonna do about the giant tree in Rockefeller Center? Oh noooooo.....
It boggles my mind that you can't see the difference between what a private corporation is doing versus what a publicly funded school is doing.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:05 PM

36,511 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I certainly agree with your post; I was trying to explain the basis of a poster claiming the mom was lying about the letters to Santa. He (?) said kids that age aren't writing, implying they couldn't have spent two days writing letters.
I did not say kids that age were not writing, thank you. And did not imply they could not have spent two days writing letters because they couldnt write.

I asked. Are kindergartners that advanced these days that they can compose and pen a letter?

and

Not really that relevant but some posters were worried about the writing letters to Santa. I guess that will somehow convert them to Christianity, IDK. I just got to thinking how advanced K writing is and is it something to be concerned about.

I did not say.
kids that age aren't writing,

Please stop putting words in my mouth.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Allow me to add this quote from the article, since it's unlikely that you will ever open it: "The man the Christians worship may have been a good person, and he may have taught many good things. (Although I hasten to point out that there are many teachings in the Christian Bible that are completely unacceptable to Orthodox Jews, and incompatible to the teachings of the Torah.) But he was not the Messiah for whom we await and have long awaited."

What on earth are those pictures supposed to prove? The first one shows Santa in Orthodox Jewish clothing. Your point? They both look like they came from The Onion or equivalent. What is the source?

The mom doesn't want to make the field trip into a Jewish/non-Jewish issue (as this thread title did) b/c she doesn't want to bring out the anti-Semites, like this thread did.

AND PLEASE LEARN HOW TO MULITQUOTE CORRECTLY!
This is a sort-of off-topic post.

I don't know how to multi-quote, either.

Can you point me to a place that covers that?

Thank you!

Old 12-29-2015, 01:11 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I did not say kids that age were not writing, thank you. And did not imply they could not have spent two days writing letters because they couldnt write.

I asked. Are kindergartners that advanced these days that they can compose and pen a letter?

and

Not really that relevant but some posters were worried about the writing letters to Santa. I guess that will somehow convert them to Christianity, IDK. I just got to thinking how advanced K writing is and is it something to be concerned about.

I did not say.
kids that age aren't writing,

Please stop putting words in my mouth.
It's more of forcing them to do something they don't believe in. How would you like it if your kid's teacher had them eat matzoh and learn about Jewish holidays like I was several times without giving Christmas equal time. Luckily my parents weren't devout Catholics and for my children, I have Jewish (soon-to-be) in-laws so that isn't a problem.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:26 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
She didn't say every hour, she listed off the activities which were daily activities centered around Christmas. Considering half the school's parents are mad at her, wouldn't you think they'd be the first ones to call her a liar if she was lying? They know what happened, their kids were in the class, too.
You should try arguing with someone else. I've said all along that the class might have had Christmasy type activities on each day. It is someone else who suggested that those activities might easily have taken the bulk of instruction time for the week. The same person who thinks what she knows about Colorado exists everywhere.

Though I haven't defended a trip to see Santa and have given the mother credit for bringing her concerns to the board, I'll leave you and a few others to go off the deep end over the issue.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This is a sort-of off-topic post.

I don't know how to multi-quote, either.

Can you point me to a place that covers that?

Thank you!
Here you go:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/2...ote-posts.html

Old 12-29-2015, 01:37 PM

488 posts, read 798,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It's more of forcing them to do something they don't believe in. How would you like it if your kid's teacher had them eat matzoh and learn about Jewish holidays like I was several times without giving Christmas equal time. Luckily my parents weren't devout Catholics and for my children, I have Jewish (soon-to-be) in-laws so that isn't a problem.
Actually my son's school teaches ALL cultures and I think it is great! Why not?

Old 12-29-2015, 01:44 PM

36,511 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Frankly I would not care.
But again, the kids were not forced to do anything.
I would not sign the permission slip for them to eat matzoh and learn of Jewish holidays if I had a problem with it. And I would speak at the next PTO meeting with parents and teachers about the lack of other cultures holiday activities and try to get things changed.
I have no problem with this parent wanting to include more Jewish and other cultures holiday activities.

For the record my grip with this is 1. that the school board shut down a 10 year tradition on the complaint of one person without allowing any dialogue with the other 500 parents in order to come to a compromise. 2. Sorry but I believe in majority rule. In a predominately Christian or predominately Jewish or what have you community where there is long standing traditions I dont feel one person who is not of that faith or culture should be able to come in and shut it all down. Allowing equal time for that cultures beliefs, yes that great. A learning experience for all. and 3. Santa Clause is not a religion.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You should try arguing with someone else. I've said all along that the class might have had Christmasy type activities on each day. It is someone else who suggested that those activities might easily have taken the bulk of instruction time for the week.The same person who thinks what she knows about Colorado exists everywhere.

Though I haven't defended a trip to see Santa and have given the mother credit for bringing her concerns to the board, I'll leave you and a few others to go off the deep end over the issue.
Those activities probably did take up the bulk of a 5 hour day. The mom said two letter-writing sessions and a reindeer party. You think that takes 10 minutes each? As for the length of school day, MEA CULPA, MEA CULPA, MEA CULPA! Is that enough for you, or are you going to bring it up 10 more times?

BTW, the minimum school day for 1/2 day kindergarten in California is 180 minutes, or 3 hours, not five. No one has presented any documentation that this school has a longer kindergarten day. Someone just said it, and it became by default, the inerrant word of God.
http://kern.org/cia/wp-content/uploa...KRAHandout.pdf

Old 12-29-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events