Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 09:35 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
If that family lived in Japan, the daughter would at least get the medical treatment she needs, including even expensive chemo drugs. It's nice to have a society where people don't just suffer and die when they get sick for lack of money. But of course that's next to impossible if there are too many poor people...
That's all well and good, but where's that money going to come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 10:05 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
That's all well and good, but where's that money going to come from?
Are you joking?

Where did the TRILLION(s) spent on the Iraqicide come from?

Where did the $500 Million the CIA and State Department sent to ISIS come from? (yes, the US is now a State Sponsor of Terrorism).

Where do the Billions that are sent to Israel every year for weapons (so they can bomb children in Refugee Camps) come from?

Where did the money for 19 (yes, really 19 -- count them and weep) Aircraft Carriers come from?

Uncle Sam has sort of become like a Drunk Trash Deadbeat Daddy -- Always money for more Guns and Bass Boats -- but somehow never enough money to take care of the kids.

How does that work?

Old 12-25-2015, 10:29 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm not sure how these are stacked against the poor. This lady did a great thing. She raised money from people who were willing to help her so that taxpayers can money can be saved. She should applaud herself.

Sure, $15,000 will buy a lot of chemotherapy

Old 12-26-2015, 12:28 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
If that is all the money she makes for the year she should still qualify for food and medical. I wonder if she created a non-profit fund for her daughter if they would still count it as income.
Depends on the state. In Texas, you can't get Medicaid if you get more than about $6k in income. She probably wouldn't get much, if any, food stamps with over $15k in income.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:35 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
Does this "census data" specify what kind of work that they do? Part-time or full-time? Does it specify what they are doing to better their lives and get off of welfare?

My guess would be a resounding no.
You haven't known many really poor people.

Once you mess up your work history, it's almost impossible to get it back. And we all mess up our lives in one way or another. Your way just didn't happen to involve your livelihood.

Poor people often have serious problems in life, starting with abusive parents, neglect, poor education, not many little grey cells, etc. All of which contribute to their having a hard time holding down a good paying full time job for long. Add to that transportation problems, ill health from lack of health care....and you begin to see the problem. It's difficult to claw your way out of the hole. It can be done by some, but not many.

Don't start thinking you're better than others just because you were lucky. There but for the grace of God....go you.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:24 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Speculation on my part that have $15,000 in assets may have temporarily disqualified her from some benefits.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:46 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Missing the point you all. Probably trapped in the Conservative I have mine, forget everyone else, mentality. Unless she would use it irresponsibly, the 15k was meant for cancer treatment. For the State, to take her benefits away, since they think now she can use that for daily life necessities, but not use if for the cancer, is just foul and asinine.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:51 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
One time I was in dire straights and was denied assistance because I had a car. I should have just lied like everyone else.

Putting it in her daughter's name is an idea.

If the money donated is getting her out of the red, I don't know why they'd fault her. Her financial situation didn't change. She is still as needy.

She should have lied like everyone else. If the US gov't was a private organization it would have been closed years ago. Frickin' mismanagement at its finest.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:56 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
So she buys food and enrolls in the insurance exchange. What galls me is the attitude that she has, that she is entitled to collect welfare benefits, whether she has income or not.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:07 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
I don't understand why the funds were raised for the mom rather than for the daughter. If the gifts were for the daughter, they could have been placed in a trust account at the bank in the daughter's name and be used for her meds, etc. Wouldn't that have avoided the problem now being faced?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events