Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 03:28 PM

625 posts, read 623,610 times

Advertisements

This gal was on Dr. Phil.

She was "homeless." Left her kids in her car for a job interview. Got arrested for child endangerment. Ended up receiving a massive amount of money from a GoFundMe account (over $100,000) … that she's now reportedly spent recklessly on clothes and entertainment.

She turned down a plea deal that would have required her to put $60,000 in the bank for her kids.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.2014027

http://fox6now.com/2014/11/18/the-mo...ck-their-deal/

Last edited by BamaBlue; 05-21-2015 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: add info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 07:09 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
In my area, I see a lot of gofundme accounts like, "I can't pay for my rent!" etc. The last one I saw was some guy asking for money for his kid because he would be in jail for a year because he assaulted this guy he found his girlfriend in bed with while the kid was asleep in the next room.... It is the reason why I cannot take gofundme seriously. You have no idea if the money will go for its intended purpose.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:41 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,074,903 times
Scam

Old 05-24-2015, 10:15 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
They aren't all scams. If I can help someone less fortunate, I consider it a blessing. I could never live with such a negative attitude towards other human beings.

"Go Fund Me" isn't for everyone. My guess is, one would have to be quite desperate to start a Go Fund Me account or go on Dr. Phil begging for money. And sure, some people who beg for money are scam artists. Most are just desperate.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:29 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
I agree with sheena,

GoFundMe is not a scam. I had a friend who was in a very bad accident and almost lost her life. I suggested to her family to post the story on GoFundMe. It was not a huge amount that was donated but at least it was some financial help.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:31 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Have no problem with good intentions. The laws however, should be severely stiffened when fraud is found. Make it soooo painful for a scammer that no one would dare to do it?

Old 05-27-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I agree with sheena,

GoFundMe is not a scam. I had a friend who was in a very bad accident and almost lost her life. I suggested to her family to post the story on GoFundMe. It was not a huge amount that was donated but at least it was some financial help.

And I agree with you! I have friends who are in their early thirties with two young children. One has disabilities. Their house became infected with toxic black mold. The county evicted them and the health department took their furniture and clothes. Basically, everything they had.

Since her husband had a decent job and she worked a part time job, they were not eligible for public assistance. FEMA put them in a trailer for a while.

Through Go Fund Me, they were able to rent a town house in a nice area with a good school district. They were also able to furnish the home and obtain a vehicle. (the car was filled with mold from the house also)

I was really happy to buy this family a lighted Christmas tree with ornaments to their new home.

I don't know when we became a cynical country of Ebenezer Scrooges who delight in making fun of the down trodden?

Old 05-27-2015, 09:45 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
There is already by law financial help available for those who cannot pay for their medical costs at the hospital.
There is no reason for a gofundme account unless it is limited to family only so their family can help pay costs if they choose to.
Mr. CSD had unexpected surgery a year ago and we paid all of the out of pocket expenses ourself, without gofundme.
It took some time and living extra frugally but it all got paid in full within 6 months without help of family or strangers.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Have no problem with good intentions. The laws however, should be severely stiffened when fraud is found. Make it soooo painful for a scammer that no one would dare to do it?
What about other types of fraud? There is so much fraud perpetuated upon desperate poor people by predatory lenders. "Pay Day Loans" for example, buy here pay here auto financing, loans against the title of a vehicle, for example. Do those bother anyone? When a corporation preys on low income families with "easy loans" and charges double digit interest, should someone regulate those?

How about making it "sooo painful" for those people?

Corporate scamming against the poor has become an industry in past thirty years. I hardly think "Go Fund Me" counts as a national crisis that needs to be addressed.

Don't the poor have painful lives as it is? There is always someone out there who, in the guise of helping, is waiting to make it worse.

Old 10-10-2019, 07:20 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
There is already by law financial help available for those who cannot pay for their medical costs at the hospital.
There is no reason for a gofundme account unless it is limited to family only so their family can help pay costs if they choose to.
Mr. CSD had unexpected surgery a year ago and we paid all of the out of pocket expenses ourself, without gofundme.
It took some time and living extra frugally but it all got paid in full within 6 months without help of family or strangers.

So don't contribute to a gofundme. First world problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime