Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 12:48 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,704,318 times

Advertisements

Do Americans still tip when the service is lousy?

Old 01-31-2016, 12:58 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,039,578 times
IMO, the church was seeking attention {advertising} when it gave its members pamphlets to hand out with its name on them.

The church was looking for attention and got it. Fair game.

Kudos to the restaurant owner!

Old 01-31-2016, 01:54 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,782,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Except the business owner did not keep it professional by keeping it out of the public's view so the intention was not really to make things right for the employee, which the business owner could have done themselves. The intention was/is to disparage an entire group/church because of the actions of one or two members and bring attention to the business.
There is no reason for doing that, it could have been handled privately and professionally without bringing the entire social media audience into it.
Never let a free shot at advertising your restaurant go to waste....

Old 01-31-2016, 02:04 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,640,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Most do -- unless the service is exceptionally bad. Wait staff in the US get paid far below minimum wage ... something like $2.50 an hour or so. They work for tips. Most people know this and tip accordingly. Even with the higher tipping rates (20 percent is customary) a restaurant meal in the US costs less than in England or the more prosperous parts of Europe.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:23 AM

20,327 posts, read 19,914,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
As a rule a lower tip or no tip depending how bad the service was.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:35 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,640,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
As a rule a lower tip or no tip depending how bad the service was.
How bad does service have to be for you to consider not leaving a tip?

Old 01-31-2016, 02:56 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,706 times
Then the religious crowd wonders why some people don't go to church. Why was the church passing out those flyers with a phony $20.00 bill attached to it? It is as much the churches fault. I don't know what the church was trying to prove.... At least they did the right thing in the end....

Old 01-31-2016, 03:13 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,313,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
If I had bad service I would ask to speak to the manager and I would try to resolve the issue. I wouldn't keep silent and then exercise my ire at the end of the meal when I was on my way out the door. That seems cowardly to me.

I had dinner at a restaurant tonight, not my choice of a place since I knew NOTHING about it and needed a GPS to find it. But it was a family get-together and I needed to be there to keep the peace. I'm on a tight budget, so to find myself in a restaurant where there were no entrees under $25 is a rarity for me. But I sucked it up and ordered the cheapest pasta dish on the menu and prepared to enjoy a rare treat.

The food was TERRIBLE. The pasta was overcooked and tasted as if it was boiled in dishwater instead of salted water. There was a big broccoli stalk on the plate that was also so overcooked it squished into soup when I tried to cut it up. It didn't even come with a salad and I didn't take any bread because I was having pasta. When I was paying the bill, did I take it out on the server? She didn't cook the food. Since I ordered nothing except the pasta dish, not even a beverage, I tipped 20% since I had sat there as long as the others who were paying far higher bills. Had I been alone, I would have sent the dish back, but I wasn't in a position to do that tonight, But again, I didn't pass my bad experience along to my server who did nothing but her job.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:32 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
OMG on both of them (the server and the 'tippers').

A server who has a mortgage has a huge advantage on all the servers who struggle to pay the (too damn high) rent. She and her manager should be grateful that she can own a house.
What on earth? What advantage exactly? I have no clue how someone with a mortgage has an automatic advantage over those who pay rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I only consider not leaving a top if the poor service is the direct cause of the server. She doesn't take orders quickly, never makes it back to ask how we're doing, never checked drinks etc... Those are the things that influence my tip.

If the service was so horrible I wasn't going to leave a tip, I'd have talked to manager long before the bill came.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:58 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,039,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Then the religious crowd wonders why some people don't go to church. Why was the church passing out those flyers with a phony $20.00 bill attached to it? It is as much the churches fault. I don't know what the church was trying to prove.... At least they did the right thing in the end....

I wonder if the person who left the phony tip puts Monopoly money in the collection plate at church when they don't think the preacher's sermon is up to par. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events