Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 07:56 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,047 times

Advertisements

Three feet of snow will paralyse even a city which is used to it.

Although I bet Boston's leaning back and giggling right about now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 08:00 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,383,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I'm sorry I can't stand it anymore, I had to say something.

There's like three inches of snow and the whole northeast is paralyzed, declaring emergencies and freaking out. Planes are grounded, cities vacant. Stores shelves look like the day after the end of the world, people seem terrified to go outside, all I see on tv are empty streets.
I am in the northeast and so far we have 26 inches and it is still coming down. Planes are not here, they were sent out. Planes cannot land if it is difficult to keep the runway clear.

Seriously let it go. Every place is different. I don't make fun of Texas when they get a little snow and shut down everything. Not all places have snow equipment to keep things running. Nor does every place have public transportation to get people around.

I just embrace Winter Storm Jonas and go with the flow.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:12 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times
Had to laugh at the Mayor of D.C. telling residents to "Shelter in place". Is saying "Stay home" too difficult?

Old 01-23-2016, 08:15 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,124,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
3 inches? Times 8 in many areas. Times 6 or 4 in others. I agree that the media overhypes dramatically but this is a major storm and coastal flooding is a big issue. The Northeast knows how to handle snow. We're not stupid. Just because the media freaks out doesn't mean we all are.

Next time look at a snow total prediction map before you sound uninformed because only the fringes are expected to get as low as a few inches. I believe DC's current record is 28 and they may get more than that so for that area this is definitely a record breaker.

OMG!! We moved from Pa to MI 2 years ago and left on New Years for a snowmobile trip to Montana since there was little snow here. When we returned 2 weeks later there was 2+ foot of new snow and the media didn't even mention it....
Buy a generator, get a puzzle started, pull up a chair and look out at the beautiful winter wonderland and quit being such a woosie.
BTW we are in our 60's!!

Old 01-23-2016, 08:18 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,001 times
In the KC Metro area we had a dusting of snow the other day. . . and lo and behold the local news broke into a tv show with "STORM ALERT!!!". Jeez!

Haven't lived my entire life; however, the 'old timers' have told me (and showed photographs) of 10 ft snow drifts against telephone poles in the Wichita area back in the mid 50s. What we get now is nothing compared to what they had to deal with, plus they didn't have city crews clearing off the roads.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:19 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
OMG!! We moved from Pa to MI 2 years ago and left on New Years for a snowmobile trip to Montana since there was little snow here. When we returned 2 weeks later there was 2+ foot of new snow and the media didn't even mention it....
Buy a generator, get a puzzle started, pull up a chair and look out at the beautiful winter wonderland and quit being such a woosie.
BTW we are in our 60's!!
No one's being a "woosie." Where I live, we get at least one foot plus snowstorm a season. I know the media flips, but no one else really does. There are people still trying to drive (and getting themselves stuck) but people aren't scared into staying put. Anyone who IS staying put is just being wise.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
No one's being a "woosie." Where I live, we get at least one foot plus snowstorm a season. I know the media flips, but no one else really does. There are people still trying to drive (and getting themselves stuck) but people aren't scared into staying put. Anyone who IS staying put is just being wise.
Well you must be one of the few because I just talked to my nephew and his wife last night (they live in NJ) and they said the newscasters in their area and their neighbors are all in a frenzy......

Old 01-23-2016, 08:27 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
Well you must be one of the few because I just talked to my nephew and his wife last night (they live in NJ) and they said the newscasters in their area and their neighbors are all in a frenzy......
Perhaps in South Jersey or along the coast (where it's already flooding). They tend to get less snow than those of us in North Jersey. I'm not surprised the newscasters are freaking out because that's what newscasters do. A few neighbors freaking out also doesn't convince me that we're all wussies.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
In the KC Metro area we had a dusting of snow the other day. . . and lo and behold the local news broke into a tv show with "STORM ALERT!!!". Jeez!

Haven't lived my entire life; however, the 'old timers' have told me (and showed photographs) of 10 ft snow drifts against telephone poles in the Wichita area back in the mid 50s. What we get now is nothing compared to what they had to deal with, plus they didn't have city crews clearing off the roads.

You are so right! With global warming 50-100 years from now kids everywhere in the US won't even know what a snowman is.....
Our reason for moving from Pa to MI was that we missed the snow and when we retired we really wanted to live in an area that got lots of it....If anything, we were jealous of the storm going where we used to live instead of the snowbelt where we now live!!!!

Old 01-23-2016, 08:33 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,281,607 times
Delaware is now in a state of emergency; essential personnel only on the roads. There's probably a foot of snow or more out there now. I know we have 3-4 foot drifts against the house. We don't usually get so much snow all at once, and it's overwhelming the plow crews. The wind and heavy gusting don't help; the snow just blows back into the clear places.

We are planning a relaxing day in the house, shoveling will wait until after the wind dies down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events