Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 07:38 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Well goes to show how much I know about ducks. I didn't even know they told tales!
Yep....Duck Tales!! Gotta love ol' Huey, Dewey, and Louie! And also Scrooge McDuck. Ah, good times!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 11:48 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,231,253 times
Baby Boomers already learned about this, thanks to Ritchie Petrie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYGLpjnEcZQ

Old 02-27-2016, 11:55 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
How can you tell if a duck is happy?

Old 02-28-2016, 03:19 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
What a quack...
A-flack!!!

Seriously, it really looks like that Aflac duck on those commercials!

Old 02-28-2016, 04:15 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
She'll grow up to be one of those people who needs to take a "comfort pet" on an airplane.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:19 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Oh for goodness sakes, much ado about nothing. Yes, it is normal for a 4 year old to be that attached to something. In many cases it's not even a real animal, but a stuffed one they are "mommy" of. There is no indication anyone here is being harmed in any way whatsoever, whether child, parents, or said duck, so why all the harsh judgement?
Because we are supposed to learn from others mistakes. We are supposed to have compassion for animals. We are supposed to teach compassion for animals. We are supposed to practice just a little freaking self denial of "I want" when your wants has a negative impact on another creature for no other purpose than "I want".
It is not compassionate to have a single duck to be mauled and dragged around town by a 4 yr old. Ducks belong together, hanging out around a pond.

These situations rarely end well for the animals involved. Talk to your local animal control officer. Go to a Humane Society. Why the greatest nation has to still kill millions of healthy unwanted animals annually is due in part to your attitude.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:29 AM

2,141 posts, read 1,388,011 times
You know, honestly...I really don't think this is that big of a deal.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:03 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Some of you guys are being ridiculous, IMO. This is no different than people who have pigs for pets or any other animal. He looks like a happy duck to me. There are many things people do to animals that cause me great concern and sadness, loving an animal to the point of pampering and doting on it too much is not one of them however, sorry.
My daughter has always loved all animals, she used to bring home, what she thought were stray dogs, cats, any poor little critters that seemed lost and alone. One time, she brought home a weird looking fish. The poor thing had no tail. I tried to convince her that fish really do need a tail, she took care of the fish, as long as she could; but she found out that maybe that one time, mom was right.

To this day, she loves animals. She has taken care of so many animals, birds you name it. So, that is right, there is nothing wrong with love, "Snowflake," is so attached to that little girl. Steve Hartman should have a show, interviewing little kids.......the look on his face was priceless.

I love good stories about people; there is so much sadness and just down right evil in our world.....lets have some joy, once in awhile.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:09 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
How can you tell if a duck is happy?
I am only familiar with cats who, if they don't like their surroundings, will find a better home. I don't see why it would be any different for this duck who has the freedom to swim away when they take it to the pond. Also, the way it runs around the house following the little girl is another sign it's okay with it's surroundings. When animals are unhappy they tend to brood and go off their food. They don't move around much.

This duck looks well. I guess it's as "happy" as a duck can be.

I don't like to anthropomorphize animals. I have never called any of my cats my "babies" nor myself their "moms." This is a little child, she identifies taking care of her duck much as a mother would take care of a real baby. It's probably teaching her responsibility at an early age to care for another life and there is nothing wrong with that.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:34 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Because we are supposed to learn from others mistakes. We are supposed to have compassion for animals. We are supposed to teach compassion for animals. We are supposed to practice just a little freaking self denial of "I want" when your wants has a negative impact on another creature for no other purpose than "I want".
It is not compassionate to have a single duck to be mauled and dragged around town by a 4 yr old. Ducks belong together, hanging out around a pond.

These situations rarely end well for the animals involved. Talk to your local animal control officer. Go to a Humane Society. Why the greatest nation has to still kill millions of healthy unwanted animals annually is due in part to your attitude.
I think the girl and her family have a ton of compassion for the duck! It's a HOUSE DUCK, for crying out loud! I think that duck has a pretty darn pampered life. It goes swimming and comes back when called...if the duck was so darn unhappy, as some seem to think, would it really come back of its own volition? No...it would swim away or fly off. But it returns and follows the girl around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events