Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 10:51 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,064 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend saw this article and was reminiscing about her childhood, when she and her sister used to put their pet ducks in a baby carriage and take them for rides around the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 11:31 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
When Snowflake refused to stay in the backyard, Kylie's parents Ashley and Mike say they had no choice but to give him a diaper and make him a house duck.
"He goes everywhere that ducks are allowed and almost everywhere they're not allowed," Mike said.
"I don't know if you've ever had a 2-year-old or a 4-year-old that wouldn't leave home without its blankie -- she would not leave home without her duck. And at that point, nothing is negotiable."

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I agree with the OP. While this all seems harmless, I'd be more concerned about a child who believes she can dictate what happens in her life. Have the duck all she wants, but she needs to understand that she can't take the duck everywhere she goes. The parents should teach her what's appropriate and say "no" when needed.

If they are really taking the duck "almost everywhere they're not allowed" because their preschooler will not leave home without the duck it can be a huge problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
This is the only part of the whole deal that bugs me.
They're teaching her that she's too special to follow rules. That her own wants supercede the rights of everyone else. Not good parenting IMHO.

I agree with Lilly. As a retired teacher I can tell you that parents letting their preschool children & elementary age dictate the rules for their parents can cause a huge a problem later on.

You be amazed at how many kindergarten and 1st grade children actually say things like "My mommy says that you can't tell me what to do" or "Daddy told me that I do not have to follow the school rules. I can make my own rules" to teachers and principals.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:48 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

If they are really taking the duck "almost everywhere they're not allowed" because their preschooler will not leave home without the duck it can be a huge problem.

I agree with Lilly. As a retired teacher I can tell you that parents letting their preschool children & elementary age dictate the rules for their parents can cause a huge a problem later on.
I'm pretty sure this was exaggeration for the news piece and they didn't allow her to take the duck everywhere. She seemed like a very nice little girl and the parents didn't seem to me like they were raising an entitled little princess.

Whats wrong with taking her pet to ball practice, or a sleepover or trick-or-treating. People often take their pets on these activities. It looked as though the duck was getting a lot of attention.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:49 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodi View Post
If you abuse a dog, say a Golden or Lab, would it always run away? If that was the truth, then we wouldn't have unhappy/emaciated dogs sitting in backyards across the country, would we?

The duck has relied upon the girl and her family for food its whole life. It probably never got to interact with other ducks (speaking of other ducks, taking it to the pond is NOT a good idea if it is to be a "house duck". Snowflake could pick up any number of diseases/parasites from the wild duck population and could possibly spread them to the girl and her family) and probably has no idea how to forage for food.

I own both chickens and ducks. I do keep the chicks in the house until they are fully fledged at 6 weeks and then they go outside to spend the rest of their lives as chickens and ducks! I did have a "house bantam" (an Old English Game hen), but that was only for a few short weeks till she could be integrated with the flock safely. My ducks and chickens are free range, but get fed all flock feed, oyster shell, and some scratch grains in the morning. They learned as young birds by watching the older hens and roosters as they caught bugs and ate grass/plants.

This is not Disney, people! Dogs and cats have evolved over millennia to stay with us and either protect us/our property or to hunt/kill vermin. Ducks were kept as either food or pets, but they stayed outside with members of their own species.

Brodi, you feel bad for this very loved, spoiled duck, but you have/do raise them to be eaten? You posted how to properly care for ducks, but you kill them for food? Color me confused. If I were a duck, I'd rather live a nonconventional loving safe life, than be raised in proper form and be on Sunday's dinner menu.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:08 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
How can you tell if a duck is happy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
How can you tell if a duck is happy?
How do you tell if its not?
This just reminded me of many moons ago when I bought a fish. The guy was giving me the spill about acclimating the fish to my tank, then he said if you don't let it acclimate long enough in the bag of water or leave it in too long it might get brain damage. I thought, how could you tell if a fish had brain damage? They swim back and forth, eat and poop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Because we are supposed to learn from others mistakes. We are supposed to have compassion for animals. We are supposed to teach compassion for animals. We are supposed to practice just a little freaking self denial of "I want" when your wants has a negative impact on another creature for no other purpose than "I want".
It is not compassionate to have a single duck to be mauled and dragged around town by a 4 yr old. Ducks belong together, hanging out around a pond.

These situations rarely end well for the animals involved. Talk to your local animal control officer. Go to a Humane Society. Why the greatest nation has to still kill millions of healthy unwanted animals annually is due in part to your attitude.
But did it die? Looks to me like the duck grew up and is very happy.

Ducks imprint as do other poultry. It imprinted on the girl and they definitely bonded. Duck doesn't know doesn't care if its with other ducks, a little girl, a cat, etc. I have had ducks, chickens, turkeys, etc. Had one poor duck who somehow got hatched in the turkey nest and thought it was a turkey. Wouldn't have squat to do with the other ducks and ducklings, just followed the turkey and her chicks around. I have had ducks live with the chickens and would not go near the pond, I had to keep kiddy pools filled for them.

The last several clutches of my ducklings that hatched while hanging around the pond with the other ducks were all killed by fish/turtles and perhaps a raccoon.

What I want to know is where they got the duck diaper.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:41 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
When Snowflake refused to stay in the backyard, Kylie's parents Ashley and Mike say they had no choice but to give him a diaper and make him a house duck.
"He goes everywhere that ducks are allowed and almost everywhere they're not allowed," Mike said.
"I don't know if you've ever had a 2-year-old or a 4-year-old that wouldn't leave home without its blankie -- she would not leave home without her duck. And at that point, nothing is negotiable."

You be amazed at how many kindergarten and 1st grade children actually say things like "My mommy says that you can't tell me what to do" or "Daddy told me that I do not have to follow the school rules. I can make my own rules" to teachers and principals.
They're not taking him in restaurants for goodness sakes...they used that line because it sounds cute and funny. They take him to the beach and sledding. It's not like kid is having a tantrum that the duck can't go in McDonalds so they allow her to take him in. Again, you guys are being ridiculous. It's a human interest story, why are so many trying to make it some sort of controversy?

Old 02-29-2016, 05:18 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I'm pretty sure this was exaggeration for the news piece and they didn't allow her to take the duck everywhere. She seemed like a very nice little girl and the parents didn't seem to me like they were raising an entitled little princess.

Whats wrong with taking her pet to ball practice, or a sleepover or trick-or-treating. People often take their pets on these activities. It looked as though the duck was getting a lot of attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They're not taking him in restaurants for goodness sakes...they used that line because it sounds cute and funny. They take him to the beach and sledding. It's not like kid is having a tantrum that the duck can't go in McDonalds so they allow her to take him in. Again, you guys are being ridiculous. It's a human interest story, why are so many trying to make it some sort of controversy?

Well, maybe they are exaggerating and maybe not.

My niece works at a large public library and over the years she has personally observed adults and children bringing all types of animals into the library, usually claiming that they were "therapy animals" or "service animals". All breeds & sizes & temperaments of dogs, plus a few cats, a pair of guinea pigs, a pot bellied pig and white rats. Who ever heard of "therapy white rats"?

One man has come in numerous times with his five or six foot long boa constrictor around his neck. The first time he told my niece that it was his "therapy snake" but after the head librarian came to talk with him about that, he now leaves as soon as he sees her (the head librarian) walking towards him.

They also had a man come in a few times with his "therapy parrot". Just imagine the mess that a pooping bird can make in a library. He also leaves as soon as someone with authority starts to walk over to talk with him.

So, normally I would also think that they were exaggerating but after hearing about all the animals that people have brought into the library where my niece works, I am not so sure.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:18 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,218 times
Quote:
This is the only part of the whole deal that bugs me. They're teaching her that she's too special to follow rules. That her own wants supercede the rights of everyone else. Not good parenting IMHO.
Funny, how we all see things differently. To me, the parents are showing the little girl love. She is a special little girl, and what is wrong with that? All children are special. Snowflake loves that little girl. Learning to love and care for something, besides yourself is probably one of life's best lessons. So sad, more people don't learn this. Maybe, just maybe there would be less violence in this old world. IMO

Old 03-01-2016, 03:29 AM

25 posts, read 38,490 times
Well, I can only add this cute song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0qhArGd3fg

Old 03-01-2016, 04:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Better to care for a duck, cat or dog than nothing at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events