Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 11:10 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Do what? You are worried about a biodegradable covering after just burning enough hydrocarbons to power a small country for a year to put your corpse in space?
And can something biodegrade in a vacuum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 11:28 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Shot out into space in a biodegradable covering would be better. The biodegradable covering disintegrates and one's body just decays wherever it lands. This won't happen for a long, long time though. Trees sprouting from people pods don't sound so great - if it grew apples, would people be able to eat them?
Look at an apple. Do you have any idea how many atoms are in that apple? Somewhere in the septillions (there's a lot of zeroes in that one). Within that apple are carbon and hydrogen and oxygen atoms, among others, that have passed through the bodies of almost everyone on Earth who have ever lived (the only exceptions might be the very recently born).

Take a bite of anything - there's a little bit of everyone in there. George Washington. Adolf Hitler. William Shakespeare. Ted Bundy. Charlemagne. Jimi Hendrix. Everyone.

PS - I hope you enjoy whatever you're eating right now...

Old 03-08-2016, 11:45 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
It's not all that different from burying someone in a wooden coffin and then planting a tree on top of the stop....We all turn back into dust and rejoin Mother Nature.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:49 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
I want my ashes spread on my favorite beach. My family could have a vacation while taking me there.
"Okay honey that looks like a good spot, spread the blanket and put up the umbrella. ...ok Mom, but why does this sand feel so funny? "

As far as the apples go, I'm willing to bet there isn't anything grown on any land anywhere that hasn't had something die and disintegrate on that spot at some point in time. A lot of the farm country around here were civil war battlefields, how is that as food for thought?!

Old 03-08-2016, 11:49 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Look at an apple. Do you have any idea how many atoms are in that apple? Somewhere in the septillions (there's a lot of zeroes in that one). Within that apple are carbon and hydrogen and oxygen atoms, among others, that have passed through the bodies of almost everyone on Earth who have ever lived (the only exceptions might be the very recently born).

Take a bite of anything - there's a little bit of everyone in there. George Washington. Adolf Hitler. William Shakespeare. Ted Bundy. Charlemagne. Jimi Hendrix. Everyone.

And, too, think about all the dead bugs and animals and even manure that makes up the soil that our food is grown in. Why wouldn't you be able to eat things? It's not like we're talking about eating soup out of someone's skull.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:56 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
The Eternal Reefs Story » Eternal Reefs » Living legacies that memorialize the passing of a loved one

"The fish swim in, the fish swim out..."

Old 03-08-2016, 12:02 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

You are correct.

I've posted this before on another thread some place.

Back in chemistry class back in college, we had to calculate how many molecules were in the room from the last dying breath of someone famous like Archimedes or Socrates. We were given a few variables and then left to figure it out on our own. The answer was around 5-10 molecules depending on what assumptions you made in the calculations. Basically, everything on earth is recycled including air, water and food.

That fertilizer that was used to grow your food came from something else. It was previously mulched plants, manure from animals, or even animal waste parts that didn't have another purpose. Human bodies are really no different than animals.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:56 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I want my entrails to be eaten by coyotes and vultures. The rest picked clean by worms and beetles. Every other animal goes this way, why not me?

Realistically, I will probably be cremated, though.
Me too.

My preference would be to be buried in a shroud in the ground without any embalming. My parts would nourish bugs and plants that in turn would be eaten by other creatures and the cycle would continue forever. I can't think of anything better.

I've seen those burial pod links on Facebook and If they're legal I think they're a great idea. Like being buried in a shroud, if your body nurtured a tree your essence would be eternal.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:18 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
skimmed thru the link info...is being dead an absolute requirement or more of one possible option

Old 03-08-2016, 01:30 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,649,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
I'll stick with cremation...throw the ashes around a tree if you want....
if you were a heavy smoker, you could be cremated and put in a large ashtray-- you'd feel right at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events