Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 01:22 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Hmmmmmmmm I am also in my late 40s and I loved my school f00d mate!!

These are what I loved

ELEMANTARY:

HAMBURGER -- OH MY,I WOULD DO ANYTHING TO HAVE ONE NOW!!
Fish sticks
Hog dog on a bun
Pizza (Rectangles) - MMMMMMMMMMM

Then later in middle school there was this cabbage salad I LOVED!!!!!!!! (Ahhhhhhhhhh I would do anything to have more)

In 1990 I gratuated from school..... That first day of the next year in september (1991) I went to the school I went to (Rode my bike to it) around lunch time......

I ORDERED DOUBLES!!!!!!!! (Pizza (2 slices)) -- MMMMMMMMMMMM I loved it so much!! (Thankfully they knew me and didnt mind I was there)
And that sounds disgusting to me. All would be classified as "gross school food."

Instead of complaining about another day of dry burgers, frozen fish sticks, or pizza, or how we had country fried steak with mashed potatoes and biscuits all covered with white gravy every single Monday, I brought my own. No problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 08:44 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroZach View Post
These stupid no tolerance policies are really becoming more overbearing as time goes by and I cannot fathom on why we have school administrators in place who enforce such a stupid punishment for a kindergartner who accidentally brought in a bubble gun to school. If I was a school administrator I would have told her just keep it in your book bag and don't take it out.
It's often the School Board and Central Office that are in love with the "no tolerance" policies. School administrators often aren't in love with such policies because it gives them no flexibility. Been there (as a school principal), done that.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:16 PM

599 posts, read 401,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It's often the School Board and Central Office that are in love with the "no tolerance" policies. School administrators often aren't in love with such policies because it gives them no flexibility. Been there (as a school principal), done that.
Thanks for the information. I can definitely understand as I have seen many instances where principles and or other school administrators don't like giving out these type of punishments but have no other choice.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:52 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Meh, school had a rule no "gun" like toys, maybe no toys. Kid slipped it in her pack without moms knowledge, got one day suspension which is consistent with other such instances. Missing one day of K. Maybe will teach the kid a lesson not to sneak toys to school.

I'm not in agreement with the zero tolerance and lack of logic and feel many rules are over the top but we have allowed this in our school system so we should abide by those rules.
The majority of parents are perfectly happy with zero-tolerance until/unless it impacts their kid(s).
Many have actually advocated for it by electing zero-tolerance candidates to their school boards.

I'll never understand why people are surprised when these policies are enforced.
What did they think "zero-tolerance" means?

Old 05-25-2016, 11:04 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Time to suspend some extremely over reacting teachers who represent the " stupid" element in education.
Teachers don't set policy.

You can blame the demise of common sense in public schools on the "zero tolerance" policies that the public was clamoring for 25 years ago. They were put in place by school boards elected by the public.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:13 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomersBoy View Post
But that was NOT a gun. That was a battery powered bubble blower. I would like to see their definition of a gun. If I make a fist and point my index finger and leave my thumb in a raised position, would that be a gun? If I blow bubbles through a straw, is that a gun? It has a barrel and bubbles as a projectile and would certainly cause a distraction in class. Good grief, where has common sense gone?
Don't forget the liberal idiotic school that suspended a student because his piece of bread looked like a gun after he bit out one corner.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:24 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Teachers don't set policy.

You can blame the demise of common sense in public schools on the "zero tolerance" policies that the public was clamoring for 25 years ago. They were put in place by school boards elected by the public.

I was just about to mention this myself. It was the general public who freaked out all those years ago & now it's the children who are paying for it. They are getting suspended for such stupidly bring a bubble blower to school. Just another reason why kids in other countries are way beyond our kids in everything!

Old 05-25-2016, 11:38 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,410,057 times
Ban straws! Spitballs can maim innocent children.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:52 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
Ban straws! Spitballs can maim innocent children.

We used to make spitballs & shoot each other with them using rubber bands! They left a huge welt on you & we're worried about nerf guns & bubble guns?

Old 05-25-2016, 05:33 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,111,606 times
Interesting how older folks here think everything went to crap in the US rather recently . . . . because we #1 in the olden days before the libruls took over. Oh, really?

Quote:
An international study in the 1990s tested 13 year olds in mathematics in 15 countries. The United States placed next to last, above Jordan.

Here are the results of science assessments of high school students: In 1973, the U.S. rank was 14 out of 14 countries. In the mid-1980s, the U.S. rank in biology was 13 out of 13 countries; the U.S. rank in chemistry was 11 out of 13 countries; the U.S. rank in physics was 9 out of 13 countries. In 1991, the U.S. rank in science was 13 out of 15.

At no time was the performance of U.S. students excellent or outstanding on these exams.

In contrast with the conventional wisdom that the U.S performance has declined in recent decades, our performance has actually improved slightly.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...gAHW_blog.html

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events