Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 04:26 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
interestingly, media never and i mean NEVER has shown a video of a beautiful chinese city with modern infrastructure and there are 80 mega cities the size of chicago filled with brand new infrasctructure throughout china. it's like it's not allowed to be shown in america. they just find stories via outlier situation and report on it. like some story of a chinese woman in some deep rural area living in a dirt floored hut having to walk 20 miles to work everyday. and the media NEVER explains it's context. it's like if some foreign news station video'ed inner city detroit with bonfires in the street and said this is how things are in america.
Really? I have seen that. And pictures of great bike infrastructure. And aw some subways that took less time to build than an infill station here in the Bay. And other videos of weird out of place American style suburbs.

I don't think you'd need to look that hard to find videos of worse American infrastructure and disconnected towns in the rural south and Midwest with shacks, dirt roads and poor plumbing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Next time I read about NAMs blaming their poor school performance on "prejudice", "white privilege", not having teachers who look like the students, not having free this or that - and all the other excuses, I'm going to link to THIS story.
But when your teacher has already written you off before teaching you it is pretty difficult to succeed. This is real stuff even if you don't think so. I have had plenty of bad teachers who assumed I was incapable and I was an excellent student with super involved parents. Can't fathom what would have happened otherwise.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:30 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,610,170 times
They should all be hoverboarding down the sidewalk with their nose in the phones, like fat and flabby American children.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:30 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
But when your teacher has already written you off before teaching you it is pretty difficult to succeed. This is real stuff even if you don't think so. I have had plenty of bad teachers who assumed I was incapable and I was an excellent student with super involved parents. Can't fathom what would have happened otherwise.
I do not know what my teachers assumed. I seldom got any one on one instruction from them. I listened in class and did my homework. Somehow got by.

What did these teachers do that made you assume they thought you incapable. Not issue you a book?

This is what most post-elementary teachers do. They talk for 50 minutes to the whole class. The bell rings.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:33 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,149,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
They should all be hoverboarding down the sidewalk with their nose in the phones, like fat and flabby American children.
I had no idea that Lu Hao, the world's fattest kid, was American. Thanks for the update.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:44 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
I had no idea that Lu Hao, the world's fattest kid, was American. Thanks for the update.
Yes, let's pick an exception to the rule and use a smiley.:

Old 05-28-2016, 06:50 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,149,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes, let's pick an exception to the rule and use a smiley.:
Oh, its okay to claim all American kids are fat? I guess that's an example of being able to dish it out, but not being able to take it, lol. Coolio beans.

Arent they called emojis now?

Old 05-28-2016, 06:50 PM

599 posts, read 401,799 times
My question is why build a school on top of a mountain without an adequate way of reaching it? I wonder how many children have either died or received serious injuries from this climb as I know most of China gets winters with snow I sure as hell hope these children didn't have to climb in such appalling conditions.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I do not know what my teachers assumed. I seldom got any one on one instruction from them. I listened in class and did my homework. Somehow got by.

What did these teachers do that made you assume they thought you incapable. Not issue you a book?

This is what most post-elementary teachers do. They talk for 50 minutes to the whole class. The bell rings.
Not at all. Besides the run of the mill stuff like teachers not bothering to learn how to spell or pronounce my name properly. There were other teachers that accused my parents if forging my test scores. The teacher who decided I had a learning disability because I talked fast. The teachers who could not fathom I finished their assignments quickly and made me go back to my desk. Or the best on was the teacher who gave me a "3 week" project I finished in a few days who then told me to play Oregon trail for the next 2.5 weeks because she had nothing for me to do.

I had some great encouraging teachers along the way as well. But that was not always the case. There were plenty of skeptics mixed in. In my life it is assumed I am not qualified until proven otherwise. Not in every case, but often enough it is no shocker when it happens.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:58 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,118,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Lu is an anchor baby, and therefore an American. Or something.

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events