Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 07:16 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,096,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I can believe it. I've seen so many more gaggles of kids and young adults out walking around since the app came out. They are everywhere. My own kids have been taking their bikes out and going around the neighborhood.
Yes; I mentioned this in a different thread on the same subject.

Per my 14 yr old Pokemon Go addict: "Michelle Obama has been trying to get kids outside for 8 years.

It took Nintendo about 45 minutes."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 07:51 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
My son walked 5 miles yesterday.
Well I hope he pays attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I saw a kid looking at his phone riding his bike down a hill and round a blind turn...thought he was texting but maybe not?

So not safe!
No, it isn't.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:10 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I can't believe people have to be told this.

You know all those warning stickers on chain saws, mowers and pretty much any thing that we encounter? They are all there because someone played a analog version of Pokemon.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:32 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
My daughter and husband are out playing the game as I type. Seems like a lot of fun and reminds me of a ghost capturing game our kids used to play at the park with their friends probably six or seven years on my husband's smartphone. Can't remember the name of the app, but it was the same concept.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:19 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,565,409 times
I wrote this in my local city forum here - -

Once a week, I ride my bike on the boardwalk nearest to me by the Pacific Ocean. Depending on the part of the boardwalk I'm on, the amount of room might be eight feet across. Normally there are two types of people I have to look out for on that bike ride: little kids and tourists. Both aren't aware of their surroundings and how many bikes, roller bladers, skateboarders, etc travel on the boardwalk at various speeds.

Last week, those were the two groups I was looking out for.

Tonight it was those two groups and at least 200 people that I came across playing Pokemon. They were looking down at their phones and tablets and had no idea where they were in relation to flesh and blood people. I'm sure the number of accidents on the boardwalk will triple this year. My bike ride that normally takes 45 minutes took an hour today just trying to get around the Pokemon players!

Old 07-14-2016, 05:20 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,988,367 times
Darwin made his move, missed the prize though

Pokémon Go*User Playing While Driving Successfully Catches A Tree

Old 07-14-2016, 06:45 AM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,139 times
Default Playing Pokemon Go At Auschwitz and Holocaust Museum

People shouldn't have been to be told this, but looks like it is difficult for them to understand what went on during the Holocaust. Memorials for the Holocaust are just seen as another game-playing opportunity. So officials at the Holocaust Museum in DC and Auschwitz are asking the game developer to not incorporate these places into the game:

Holocaust Museum, Auschwitz want Pokémon Go hunts out

I agree, but I suppose it could be argued that this would be a way to get people to these sites where maybe they could learn what happened---that in the midst of playing the game, they could learn about the tragedy that happened. But that may be Pollyannaish to think that. They may barely notice what the places are about---just running on to the next location.

But why aren't people getting it? Is it because Holocaust history isn't taught enough in schools? Or because game-playing on electronic devices just trumps any understanding and compassion for human suffering?

Old 07-14-2016, 06:50 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,527,920 times
Not to derail the thread but we went to Disney last weekend & kids were playing there as well. Along with their parents. Hard to believe that people would spend $100.00 Plus per person to get into Disney to chase whatever it is they are chasing/finding, etc.

Even more shameful they would play in a place like the Museum.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:53 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,848,623 times
As a teacher (of 9th graders no less) I really hope this runs its course by mid August. If there is a God haha this will fizzle out in the next few weeks. PLEASE!!!! :-)

Old 07-14-2016, 07:57 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Oh, for goodness sake, the kids are out having fun! We had a brief conversation about appropriate sites for the game and safety, and then we set them off. My husband and daughter spent a couple of hours last night at the very large park down the street playing the game, and they met a lot of neighbors, young and old, doing the same thing. They had a ball! Let it go already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events