Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 05:30 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,095,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
(Chapel Hill, N.C.—Oct. 12, 2016) – Vaccine-preventable diseases among adults cost the U.S. economy $8.95 billion in 2015, and unvaccinated individuals are responsible for 80 percent, or $7.1 billion, of the tab, according to the most comprehensive analysis to date from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Researchers at the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy, led by Associate Professor Sachiko Ozawa, studied 10 vaccines recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The study, which will be published today in the journal Health Affairs, examined the actual cost of inpatient and outpatient care, cost of medication and the value of productivity lost from time spent seeking care.
Unvaccinated Adults Cost the U.S. More Than $7 Billion a Year - UNC News

Old 10-13-2016, 11:24 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,850,298 times
Im sure they do...... THE MORE AWARE THE LESS $$$$ FOR BIG PHARMA!!

Ah man!!

Old 10-14-2016, 09:18 AM

50,833 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Or is that helping the economy?

Old 10-14-2016, 06:23 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
Can only find the abstract. http://content.healthaffairs.org/con...haff.2016.0462
It's great the Merck was so kind to fund this "study".

Old 10-14-2016, 09:42 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It's great the Merck was so kind to fund this "study".
Do you have any evidence that Merck influenced the conclusion of the study?

Old 10-14-2016, 09:52 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
Yeah but how much do all those autoimmune diseases and allergies cost?

Old 10-15-2016, 08:02 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Do you have any evidence that Merck influenced the conclusion of the study?
Did you read the op's article before asking me this question?

Quote:
The study was funded by the pharmaceutical company Merck, a leading producer of vaccines.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:14 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Vaccinated for what? Most of the vaccines are for childhood diseases or really serious epidemic type diseases. Surely, not all that many adults are getting chicken pox and wouldn't we hear if there was a diphtheria epidemic keeping workers home from their jobs at Walmart?

I know that there are adults getting polio. The disease was considered to be eradicated, but apparently the bell was tolled too early.

Half the country will die if Small Pox ever gets established again, but you can not get a small pox vaccine, even if you want one.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:06 AM

776 posts, read 580,970 times
The flu was the most costly disease with a vaccine available, accounting for nearly $5.8 billion in health care costs and lost productivity in 2015. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that 42 percent of U.S. adults received the flu vaccine during the 2015-2016 flu season. Other notable diseases with significant economic burdens include pneumococcal disease, such as meningitis and pneumonia, which is associated with nearly $1.9 billion in costs, and herpes zoster that causes shingles rounding out at $782 million.
*“We believe our estimates are conservative and highlight the potential economic benefit of increasing adult immunization coverage and the value of vaccines,” Ozawa said. “We hope our study will spur creative health care policies that minimize the negative spillover effects from people choosing not to be vaccinated while still respecting patients’ right to make informed choices.”*
The statistical model researchers developed determined the unvaccinated cost to the U.S. economy at $9 billion. Inpatient and outpatient care accounted for 95 percent of costs with lost productivity making up the other 5 percent.

I am getting a little of topic, but this is why I oppose National Health Care. I saw this coming a mile away before it was enacted. With the government in the health care field, they can justify taxing or out lawing things like sugar, tobacco, and fatty foods. Limiting your freedoms in the name of saving money. To be clear, I think National health Care, done correctly, could be a wonderful system. But I don't want to loose my freedoms for it. The fact of the matter is we have a free market, so our decisions on everything cost our economy so much every day, this is the price of freedom. We could have a rapid thriving, growing economy like China 10 years ago; but I rather have more freedom.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:09 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Vaccinated for what? Most of the vaccines are for childhood diseases or really serious epidemic type diseases. Surely, not all that many adults are getting chicken pox and wouldn't we hear if there was a diphtheria epidemic keeping workers home from their jobs at Walmart?

I know that there are adults getting polio. The disease was considered to be eradicated, but apparently the bell was tolled too early.

Half the country will die if Small Pox ever gets established again, but you can not get a small pox vaccine, even if you want one.
Perhaps you should read the article. Here are the vaccines studied: "The 10 vaccines protect against hepatitis A, hepatitis B, the herpes zoster virus that causes shingles, human papillomavirus, influenza, measles, mumps, rubella, meningococcal disease, pneumococcal disease, tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis and chickenpox."

"The flu was the most costly disease with a vaccine available, accounting for nearly $5.8 billion in health care costs and lost productivity in 2015. Other notable diseases with significant economic burdens include pneumococcal disease, such as meningitis and pneumonia, which is associated with nearly $1.9 billion in costs, and herpes zoster that causes shingles rounding out at $782 million."

No adults are getting polio that I am aware of. Polio had been isolated to Pakistan and Afghanistan, but popped up again in Nigeria.

There is no smallpox anywhere in the world. We should be glad that immunization wiped it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events