Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 04:43 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,858,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
It might be the angle of the heads or the lack of attire, but it seems more sexual then a normal kiss with a child. It is most likely very innocent. But to many people its seems sexualized. So I am not alone. Clearly, to many it doesn't. Again, I am not accusing the mother of being sexual with her daughter. I am just explaining that the photo did seem sexual to me and made me recoil.

Its a hard opinion to have here because people have gotten so outwardly hostile if you have it.
I get what you're saying and it's too bad people are wigging out at you about it. The kiss is fine, the photo is uncomfortable. The angle and the side-eye and stiff postures and the kid being topless and probably a few other things makes it awkward at best. (It looks like something that'd be used as an evidence photo on a TV-14 rated crime drama, lol.) I would not post a pic like this of my own child on the internet for countless strangers - who knows what creepers among them - to eyeball.

To recap: kissing your kids - a lovely gesture of affection!
Posting awkward photos of your minor children on open social media - not so lovely!

I wish more parents would ask themselves, when broadcasting identifiable stories, photos and videos of their kids, whether this is something the kid will appreciate in the future - will they want high school classmates seeing it? Future employers? Random strangers? If the answer is even a possible "no," then it shouldn't be broadcast.

Last edited by Frostnip; 07-17-2016 at 04:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 05:29 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,879,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I get what you're saying and it's too bad people are wigging out at you about it. The kiss is fine, the photo is uncomfortable. The angle and the side-eye and stiff postures and the kid being topless and probably a few other things makes it awkward at best. (It looks like something that'd be used as an evidence photo on a TV-14 rated crime drama, lol.) I would not post a pic like this of my own child on the internet for countless strangers - who knows what creepers among them - to eyeball.

To recap: kissing your kids - a lovely gesture of affection!
Posting awkward photos of your minor children on open social media - not so lovely!

I wish more parents would ask themselves, when broadcasting identifiable stories, photos and videos of their kids, whether this is something the kid will appreciate in the future - will they want high school classmates seeing it? Future employers? Random strangers? If the answer is even a possible "no," then it shouldn't be broadcast.
YES! Thank you for actually reading my posting and not twisting my words. You said it lovely.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:37 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I couldn't care less if my employer saw a picture of my mother being affectionate towards me on my 5th birthday. Why would they even care about something like that?

Old 07-17-2016, 05:46 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,879,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I couldn't care less if my employer saw a picture of my mother being affectionate towards me on my 5th birthday. Why would they even care about something like that?
My mom used to show naked photos of us to our boyfriends and friends to embarrass us. It didn't bother me, but it really did my sister. Even diaper ones upset her. My son got VERY upset when he saw I had photos from his baby days in diapers on Facebook. I had to take them down. He also let me know when he was just 5 or 6 no more affection at school (if anyone is around) because he finds it very embarrassing.

Just because *you* wouldn't feel the same, doesn't mean your kids wont.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:58 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,600,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-
Even though I'm not going crazy with this -- it still bother me. I mean the picture, the fact that this thing look so... orchestrated, I'm sorry but it doesn't look "natural" to me. You want to share your love for your daughter to the world ? Sure, but hug her, kiss her on the cheek, on the forehead, hands, not on the lips. If I were to witness something like that near me, I would feel uneasy, not shocked, just uneasy -- "affection" in my family was always non-existent or misplaced, at moments where I couldn't handle them, so maybe I don't know what parental affection is, and perhaps this kissing your daughter on the lips for the world to see is totally normal, but I still feel bothered by it. I wouldn't have a problem with a really young child - 1year old or so, kissing on the lips, the face, whatever, sure, but on the picture, her daughter looks too "grown up" for me. Well, whatever, it's her daughter after all, and if they're an affectionate little bunch, great.

BTW are there really adults that still kiss their (grown up) kids on the lips ? In France we're usually used to kisses but this wouldn't happen here I think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1
Your experiences shaped your feelings about it. You're not comfortable with normal affection because you didn't experience it as a child.

In other cases, people can come from backgrounds where there was little to no affection shown, yet they want to be affectionate parents, and are.

But just because you wouldn't feel comfortable doing or seeing this, doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. I mean no offense, but it has more to do with you possibly having a hang up about affection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
Where did I say there was something wrong with this ? It doesn't really matter what my experiences are in this respect -- I still find this different "odd", not wrong, not at all, different cultures have different way of showing affection. In all the people I know, no one would do that, I don't think it's a thing in France -- it's all I'm saying. Like I also said it wouldn't shock me, just make me feel uneasy -- I am a very affectionate person, very touchy, I like hugs and cuddles but this picture bother me, it's really just the picture. That's it.No need to jugde people so quickly just like that.

God, I don't get some people reactions on here. If you find this "different" or "odd" you are a stuck up, hang up on affection ? Perverting this innocent picture ? Oh wow, seriously.

Where did I say that you said there was something wrong with it?

You said you didn't feel comfortable seeing it and then added that it may have been because your family didn't show much affection.

I simply commented on YOUR remarks.

When you share things in an online forum, don't get huffy when someone addresses what YOU have posted.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:11 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,836 times
I have in-law relatives who will kiss you on the lips and I know it is their culture. However, I was not used to that and still feel a little uncomfortable. But that's me. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:16 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,155,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Just because you find it odd, does that automatically make it odd for everyone else in the world ? Maybe they find things that you do odd as well.

I hug my two grown sons whenever we meet or leave each other, and never, ever fail to say "I love you". Some "men" might find that odd, but, frankly, I feel sorry for them.

Who am I to condemn someone for how they interact with those they love ?

Don
?? I never said it was odd for everyone. I said it was odd TO ME. As for hugging or saying I love you ..not odd at all. Kissing relatives on lips?? Odd. Its just my opinion.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:27 PM

35,034 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
what's so awful about a mother kissing her daughter on the lips? I think this is totally NORMAL. People nowadays aren't happy unless they're offended by everything.

Victoria Beckham posts Instagram of her kissing Harper on the lips sparking controversy | Daily Mail Online
My mother was apparently offended that my father kissed his mother on the lips. I foiund correspondence about that in a box in her apartment after she died.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:53 PM

671 posts, read 853,948 times
I personally don't understand why people kiss children on the lips but I have seen it so often that I am surprised that people were shocked.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:20 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,190,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Her daughter is 5, not even close to being grown up.
Do I have to repeat myself ? I said "to me", because to me, five is too "old" to be doing this, it's not what I am used to, so yeah it is "odd", that's all there is to it, I am not pointing the finger and saying it's bad, I am just reacting - I thought that board was for that ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Where did I say that you said there was something wrong with it?

You said you didn't feel comfortable seeing it and then added that it may have been because your family didn't show much affection.

I simply commented on YOUR remarks.

When you share things in an online forum, don't get huffy when someone addresses what YOU have posted.

Damn people on this thread are really something. My family showed affection ! Just not when I needed it and mostly to my sister and brother (non-existent towards me afterwards and misplaced because they did gave it to me before but not at the appropriate time AND I did only said "perhaps" I don't know what parental affection is (because apparently everyone wants some beside me)...) -- I wasn't the same, they were loving and kissing with them, it was just me, not my family, that's why I said that my "experiences" didn't matter because I "refused" their affection, I did it because I don't want parental affection and because from where I come from, it's just not a thing -- touchy families, all the time "I love you", this, no matter my experiences I would still have rejected this affection, so it doesn't change my way of thinking and the fact that this family thing is foreign to me, I repeat again to me.
Wow, I need some oxygen now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I have in-law relatives who will kiss you on the lips and I know it is their culture. However, I was not used to that and still feel a little uncomfortable. But that's me. I don't see anything wrong with it.
Can I use your post ? Thanks. The second part especially 'cause I don't have relatives doing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events