Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 11:33 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times

Advertisements

Not a runner, but heard of it when a Seal was running it several years back? Brutal and much respect to anyone that finishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 04:29 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Not a runner, but heard of it when a Seal was running it several years back? Brutal and much respect to anyone that finishes.
David Goggins. He has done it three times.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:39 AM

189 posts, read 361,727 times
Average better than a 11 minute miles for 24 hours is a feat in itself, add heat over 105^+, it's a death sentence for almost everyone....these folks are an elite group......gator

Old 07-20-2016, 05:48 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
It's over.

Pete Kostelnick won the men's division for the second year in a row, the first repeat winner in a decade. He set a course record of 21 hours, 56 minutes and 32 seconds.

The women's division was won by Alyson Venti in 25 hours and 53 minutes and 0 seconds, also a record. It was also her second win, the first coming two years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
No, it's invite only.
No, it's not. It is not true that you only get to participate if you're invited.

There's an application on the website. You apply. But that's only if you're not an automatic qualifier. For example, winners of the most recent Badwater Salton Sea or Badwater Cape Fear, or several other ultramarathons, don't even have to apply - they just register and pay their fees, because they automatically qualify.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:17 AM

903 posts, read 583,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
The types of people who run events like this are probably professional runners who have sponsorships and an income from running. I know a pro runner who makes about 50k a year through sponsorships and getting paid to run at certain events. So, they have the time to train because that's basically their job.
Scott Jurkek as a "pro" went into high levels of debt to enjoy his sport. Most Pros in running aren't paid enough, not to have some sort of other job. He is probably doing fine now with his books and speaking, but most runners don't make it to that level.

As a "regular joe" training for an "extreme" event, I do it primarily because the challenge and training keep me active. Without a goal, it is quite difficult to stay motivated enough to keep up with the work-outs. I do enjoy testing the limits of my physical and mental strength. And as others noted, I would rather die doing something I love then wasting away on a couch, but...

My current "extreme" event is a Spartan Ultra Beast (26+ miles, 70+ obstacles), certainly not the most extreme in any fashion and not a huge chance of death. I do often wonder about Wing suit jumpers and the like, especially when they have families. I believe you can test the limits of yourself without putting yourself in extreme danger but of course everyone has different levels of thinking on what those levels are.

I am hoping to train for an Ultra Marathon next year (35 - 50-miles) and I guess we'll have to see where that goes as to whether I pursue more of them or longer ones. To be fair, my wife is not thrilled that I am taking on this task.

As a "regular joe" it is difficult to get in the training time, but I do try to make sure it is during times that don't take away too much from the family.

cd :O)

Old 07-20-2016, 10:30 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
I gotta run to the liquor store after work tonight

Old 07-20-2016, 11:20 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I don't care how much you "lollygag" it. 135 miles in death valley I couldn't crawl to the finish.
I could definitely finish......on the back of a burro...carrying a cooler of beer...and an umbrella....uh well, you get the picture.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:36 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

No, it's not. It is not true that you only get to participate if you're invited.

There's an application on the website. You apply. But that's only if you're not an automatic qualifier. For example, winners of the most recent Badwater Salton Sea or Badwater Cape Fear, or several other ultramarathons, don't even have to apply - they just register and pay their fees, because they automatically qualify.
Semantics. This is directly from their website:

The STYR Labs Badwater 135 is, and always has been, an invitational race. Applicants will be considered purely upon their race application and its specific written merits.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:27 PM

8,689 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Having worked in the industry for so many years (bike/run), you'd be amazed what kind of people come out for events.

I think someone doing 135 on a whim deserves a special Darwin award. Bucket list though - I can totally see that happening. Kind of like the people who climb Whiteface Mountain in heels, or the ones that will climb up Seneca Rocks (the hiking trail) and have to rest every .10 miles (I kid you not). The ones that feel they don't take the first spot in the parking lot so they must be in shape.
Its hard to do on a fly because there is experience/skill involved. A lot of ultra are trail runners which require how to run on trail. Then a runner needs to know about their own bodies....eating, hydration, cramping up, etc etc.....it takes a bit of trial & error to figure how to finish the long races in one piece.

A lot of these races have hard cut off times at each spot which makes it a bit challenging for novices. 30 hour time limit is pretty common for a 100 miler. Most of the better runners usually attempt a sub 24

Old 07-20-2016, 01:51 PM

6,586 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Its hard to do on a fly because there is experience/skill involved. A lot of ultra are trail runners which require how to run on trail. Then a runner needs to know about their own bodies....eating, hydration, cramping up, etc etc.....it takes a bit of trial & error to figure how to finish the long races in one piece.

A lot of these races have hard cut off times at each spot which makes it a bit challenging for novices. 30 hour time limit is pretty common for a 100 miler. Most of the better runners usually attempt a sub 24
I know that. You know that. Some of the entitled do not know that. There are time limits for marathons and IM as well. Yet people still complain they weren't "allowed" to finish, or that everything was packed up when they came in 2 hours after the course limit.

If entry wasn't heavily restricted, people who have no business in a 5K would put it on their "list".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events