Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 02:07 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I know that. You know that. Some of the entitled do not know that. There are time limits for marathons and IM as well. Yet people still complain they weren't "allowed" to finish, or that everything was packed up when they came in 2 hours after the course limit.

If entry wasn't heavily restricted, people who have no business in a 5K would put it on their "list".

that's what is keeping me from showing up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 02:10 PM

174 posts, read 189,795 times
Quote:
I know that. You know that. Some of the entitled do not know that. There are time limits for marathons and IM as well. Yet people still complain they weren't "allowed" to finish, or that everything was packed up when they came in 2 hours after the course limit.

If entry wasn't heavily restricted, people who have no business in a 5K would put it on their "list".
In fact the Badwater 135 is SO extreme, you can get yourself in serious trouble even if you know exactly what you're doing,
Brutal Badwater marathon leaves mark on runner

I'd even go so far as to say the course and conditions make a "typical" (avg. elevation/change, fair weather) 100-miler seem like a walk in the park to a seasoned ultramarathoner.
Make no mistake about it, this is a dangerous event and these runners are gladiators.

BTW, you don't run ultras for a T-shirt or medal - this is belt-buckle territory, and one from the Badwater is like a Super Bowl ring.

Finally, this is my favorite race recap/promo video (2012),
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5hKw4ZJiR8

Old 07-20-2016, 02:20 PM

8,688 posts, read 11,076,893 times
Quote:

Most marathon time limits are pretty easy. NYC...Chicago.. Marathon has a 7 hr? 8 hour time limit? You can walk the whole thing in 8 hours and claim to marathon finisher...quite a lot of people do that. . The only elite race is Boston....esp runners who qualify on time.

IM is far more strict and have rules...they have the penalty box. Outside help is prohibited is another example. I personally know a handful of people who got DQ or was DQ for violating the rules. Ultra running usually have strict cut off times throughout the course too....to date, I have been DQ once....tough tough race

Old 07-20-2016, 03:02 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Mom and brother have both completed it... quite a demanding task and far more than I would ever attempt!

Old 07-20-2016, 04:34 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,948,076 times
I'm not sure you "win" such a race. If you survive you are a winner.

If you ask me, it's too hot to drive an air conditioned car through Death Valley in the summer, much less run. LOL

There are people who have run the "Badwater Quad" - FOUR roundtrips something like 486 miles, a couple with almost no support, pushing thier water in modified baby strollers.

Here are some cool photos of the 2013 race. Love the guy in the tutu. LOL

https://www.buzzfeed.com/erikmalinow...n2#.vi85DvpDGb

Last edited by jamies; 07-20-2016 at 04:46 PM..

Old 07-20-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Mom and brother have both completed it... quite a demanding task and far more than I would ever attempt!
But but you are ULTRArunner!!

Old 07-20-2016, 05:42 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
^^^The title really goes to Mom... she is/was nationally ranked and did her last Ultra at age 75... still very active but no more long runs.

Never ran anything until her mid 50's when she was trying to kick cigarettes... running is what worked... every time she wanted a cigarette she went for a run... ran a lot of miles to kick the habit... starting at age 18.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:18 PM

Ahhh that explains the handle. More proof that age is just a #. I have met a handful of runners who started running in their early 60s...very amazing

Ultra runners usually start to thin out in their 50s...and definately by 60s. Kudos to your mom

Old 07-21-2016, 08:35 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,576,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Most marathon time limits are pretty easy. NYC...Chicago.. Marathon has a 7 hr? 8 hour time limit? You can walk the whole thing in 8 hours and claim to marathon finisher...quite a lot of people do that. . The only elite race is Boston....esp runners who qualify on time.

IM is far more strict and have rules...they have the penalty box. Outside help is prohibited is another example. I personally know a handful of people who got DQ or was DQ for violating the rules. Ultra running usually have strict cut off times throughout the course too....to date, I have been DQ once....tough tough race
Te NYC and Chicago are 6.5 hour sag bus, it's 15 min pace so most couldn't walk the entire course. If you can qualify for Boston you are a pretty stout runner

Old 07-21-2016, 09:41 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 7 hours ago)

27,160 posts, read 13,444,010 times
Not my idea of fun, there are quite a few of these endurance events around the world.

The World's 8 Most Grueling Endurance Events

The 13 Toughest Races in the World | Outside Online

Only 24 athletes have ever finished the Arch (London) to Arc (Paris) Triathlon, the record is held by 41-year-old Cyril Blanchard of France, currently standing at 59 hours and 56 minutes.

Emduroman - Wiki

Quote:

Arch to Arc is a challenge that connects two of the world's most beautiful cities by running, swimming and cycling.

The event starts with an 87 mile run from London's Marble Arch to the Dover coast, then the athletes must swim across the English Channel to the French coast, and finally the athletes finishes with a 181 mile bike from Calais to the Arc de Triomphe in Paris. For this challenge, the clock starts at Marble Arch and stops at Arc de Triomphe.

HOME - Enduroman Ultra Events

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-21-2016 at 10:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events