Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 10:34 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
That was a crappy thing to say on many levels. Women wear headscarves for many reasons. Sometimes, though not in this case, because they are undergoing chemo. Secondly, there isn't a darn thing wrong with earning an honest living as a house cleaner.

Your snobbery is showing.

That said, the person in the article is acting like an attention-seeking eight year old. After this stunt, if I was on the EEOC board, I'd toss her complaint in a heartbeat.
I did have a lot more to say to qualify my statement but the topic of unprofessionalism in that office setting was more important and I just wanted to get to the point.

Yes, I've seen cancer patients wear them too. It doesn't make my statement any more incorrect because she wears that to an office job, as a fashion statement and no other reason. If I saw a lady wear that while walking around with her kids on the street, I wouldn't even think twice. Same applies for beach sandals in an office vs. out on the street. Next time, I guess I'll have to put in a lot more words to appease everyone, especially the righteous types who like to be quick on the trigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 10:55 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,026 times
I don't get her. She is there to do her job, not to make fashion statements. Dress the way your boss wants you to dress (unless he's Roger Ailes) and leave the self-expression fashion for your free time.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:40 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
And immature.

Does she give her job functions as much attention as she does her choice of attire?

Given her choice to use social media to demonstrate her immaturity, she will likely face future challenges in terms of promotions and/ or employment in general.
It's hard to say because that isn't included in the article but rather her work-friendly cosplay outfits. We have to assume there isn't much of a job problem, just a pissing match of what is work appropriate attire.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:16 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Maybe she's looking for a payday via the courts.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:45 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Give me a break. It takes a second to take a selfie. Nice fake outrage though.
This is one selfie that we know of, but how many did she take to get the 'right' selfie? I've seen teenage girls and adults who will take a selfie, review, delete, primp, re-pose, take another, review, delete, primp, ad infinitum. This is folowed by the compulsory share on Snap Chat, Instagram, and whatever other social media the subject uses.

The basis for her complaint and her subsequent mockery of the dress code is very telling. This isn't a quick selfie taken by an indignant employee who on one occasion wore a do-rag. This is someone who was looking to make a case out of it displaying her fake outrage for 15 minutes of fame.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:47 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
My first thought.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:01 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
First, I thought it was super funny with the first star trek outfit. Then I thought she was going over the top.

It does seem like a pissing contest with a over bearing boss and a juvenile worker.

I think the original issue wasnt a scarf, it was the type. Those don't look nice except tied around of dog's neck. You can put a nice scarf on your head and all will be fine. How she did it looked against policy of "clean and pressed".

Old 07-28-2016, 02:56 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
My thought as well.

That said, I think she looked fine in the first photo, esp. if she's a cubical jockey.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:03 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
She's taking the photos in her cube. She's in the building thus she's on company time.
That can and cannot be true, we have no idea what policies the company has. But, a person can be in their cubicle and not on company time. Where I use to work, many people ate lunch in their cubicle, it was a not paid lunch, it was their time. Their two 15 minutes a day is on company time, but they can do whatever they like, play on the Internet, eat, talk on the phone, etc.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:13 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Sounds like a p*ssing contest between those tow. Boss sounds like she might be a bit unhinged as well as this woman. This lady deciding to do this is idiotic, and the boss deciding to arbitrarily change the dress code just to get back at the employee sounds idiotic as well.

The dress code is more a guide, the management has the ultimate say. Sure, a Star Trek uniform technically fits the dress code where I work, but I doubt anyone would be allowed to wear such a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events