Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 01:01 PM

9,889 posts, read 11,841,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I work on airplanes, and from time to time we have someone come on with nut allergies. They ask that no nuts be served on the flight, etc. My company's policy is to honor that we won't serve that particular passenger any nuts, but the people around them...in the rows forward and behind often want them.
And you are aware, that the best airlines have an alternative treat that is served instead of peanuts as their insurance companies will not cover them, if they serve peanuts on a flight and it causes problems for one of the passengers.
They do that, because after a few lawsuits won by the effected passenger. To still serve peanuts, shows how out of it that airline is.

People often have no choice but to fly. And when they make a request that no peanuts be served on that flight, is considered to mean no one is to be served nuts--Period.

I have seen so many people that would say, "I don't care if serving peanuts will kill someone, I just demand my peanuts.

People that are so wrapped up in themselves, and are about as low down the scale of defining animals, you expect them to still be walking on all fours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 01:12 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,465,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
And you are aware, that the best airlines have an alternative treat that is served instead of peanuts as their insurance companies will not cover them, if they serve peanuts on a flight and it causes problems for one of the passengers.
They do that, because after a few lawsuits won by the effected passenger. To still serve peanuts, shows how out of it that airline is.

People often have no choice but to fly. And when they make a request that no peanuts be served on that flight, is considered to mean no one is to be served nuts--Period.

I have seen so many people that would say, "I don't care if serving peanuts will kill someone, I just demand my peanuts.

People that are so wrapped up in themselves, and are about as low down the scale of defining animals, you expect them to still be walking on all fours.
The way passengers are today, we would have a near riot on our hands if we did not give snacks. My airline does not serve nut snacks in coach, we do in first class. However, many times other passengers bring nuts aboard.

My company has a PUBLISHED policy that we are not responsible for nut allergy exposure. Think about it, if we had to accommodate every allergy we would never take off. Nuts, perfume, fish, latex, synthetic fabric, ..the list goes on and on. I am not unsympathetic to those with allergies, it is just that the public in general cannot accommodate every allergy.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:48 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,980,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

Seriously? You're #%@ing with me right? A whole flight should go without peanuts because one precious snowflake on board is allergic? My brother will die if he so much as licks at a peanut but no one outside of the family knows that. He flies all the time and does not cause the rest of the paying passengers not to enjoy peanuts if they want them. He doesn't have them. He can't have them. So he doesn't. Southwest still serves peanuts. I have them on every flight I take with them. I have trouble believing that on some of those flights that there wasn't someone who shouldn't eat peanuts. Alternative snack? You ever read the fine print on those alternative snacks? "Warning: this product may have been processed in a facility that also processes nuts!" In other words... if you have an issue... bring your own snacks. Its allowed.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:11 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,199,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Seriously? You're #%@ing with me right? A whole flight should go without peanuts because one precious snowflake on board is allergic? My brother will die if he so much as licks at a peanut but no one outside of the family knows that. He flies all the time and does not cause the rest of the paying passengers not to enjoy peanuts if they want them. He doesn't have them. He can't have them. So he doesn't. Southwest still serves peanuts. I have them on every flight I take with them. I have trouble believing that on some of those flights that there wasn't someone who shouldn't eat peanuts. Alternative snack? You ever read the fine print on those alternative snacks? "Warning: this product may have been processed in a facility that also processes nuts!" In other words... if you have an issue... bring your own snacks. Its allowed.
The last time I was on a flight, no peanuts were handed out. When some passengers requested them instead of pretzels, we were told "Sorry. Peanut allergy on board"

No one put up a fuss. It seemed a little extreme to me to deny an entire plane full of people, instead of just the row the person was sitting in ( or even the couple of rows nearby ) but I'm glad no one made a scene.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:24 PM

16,219 posts, read 11,408,183 times
Sooner or later, all of us have to wake up to the fact that there is no absolute security on this side of the cemetery, and that any attempt by bureaucrats, public or private, to guarantee it is doomed to fail, at the expense of all of us who understand that the world does not turn around our personal concerns.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:35 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,737,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
This makes me think of the commercial currently running on television where the girl at the party goes into anaphylactic shock because the hostess forgot and put peanut butter in the brownies (OMG, it's on right NOW!, lol). I honestly can't believe that anyone who has any allergies would knowingly go out into any setting involving food or drink without their Epi-Pen. It's simply unthinkable. A person with that type of life-threatening condition cannot depend on others' knowledge or awareness of their own health problems to save their lives; it's in their OWN hands. While the waiter has some responsibility, I don't believe he should have been arrested. I've worked in restaurants and with the sound levels it is FAR too easy to not hear or mis-hear a customer's order and/or instructions. You can't leave your life in someone else's hands, period.
Exactly, Broadway actress and old timer Carol Channing has food allergies, she always bring her own food, she is over 90.

Who goes out without bring their medicine that is much needed. Who goes out and risks eating in restaurants, you would steer clear of places that served seafood.

Maybe the customer was looking for a lawsuit?

Old 08-08-2016, 04:40 PM

19,937 posts, read 12,230,587 times
Set up for a lawsuit. His partner is a doctor, surely he knew how important it is to keep the epipen close.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:47 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,463,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I work on airplanes, and from time to time we have someone come on with nut allergies. They ask that no nuts be served on the flight, etc. My company's policy is to honor that we won't serve that particular passenger any nuts, but the people around them...in the rows forward and behind often want them. We advise the passenger that, while we understand their situation, we cannot guarantee that someone near them has not brought on their own supply of nuts. Also, they expect us to wash each and every tray table before they board....um...that won't happen. There is neither enough man power or time to do that. They are welcome to wipe down their own tray tables, and the tray tables in their rows.

I realize that it is dangerous for some people to be exposed to an allergen, but to expect the rest of the world to accommodate them is unrealistic. They need to be prepared, bring their own epi pens, meds, etc.

I take trail mix on every flight. It is healthy and does not need refrigeration. Even though I have sympathy for people with allergies, I will eat when hungry. I refused to be controlled by other passengers.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:17 PM

5,807 posts, read 5,151,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
agreed! while this is incredibly sad and scary i am not leaving my well being up to people working in a restaurant where mistakes can happen.
Mistakes not only happen, but they can easily happen....

Old 08-08-2016, 05:23 PM

5,807 posts, read 5,151,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
The last time I was on a flight, no peanuts were handed out. When some passengers requested them instead of pretzels, we were told "Sorry. Peanut allergy on board"

No one put up a fuss. It seemed a little extreme to me to deny an entire plane full of people, instead of just the row the person was sitting in ( or even the couple of rows nearby ) but I'm glad no one made a scene.
Not that I am allergic, but is it that important to have peanuts during a flight? Will someone be severely hurt or traumatized if he/she doesn't get to eat peanuts during a flight? Come on, folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events