Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2016, 11:03 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Many large people ride water rides as they accommodate people of greater weight. Other thrill rides, such as roller coasters, can't fit obese people due to small cars you have to squeeze into and restraints with limited adjustments. But no water rides are on the list.

Our favorite theme park has signs posted stating the list of rides that won't accommodate larger guests. They also have a sample seat, complete with restraints, near the start of the line so guests can sit in it and see if they are able to sit in it and if the restraints will fit.

One of my friends couldn't fit into one of the record breaking coaster seats, and she was 5'8" and 200 pounds.

So water rides are popular with thrill seekers of larger sizes.
WRONG!

There are water rides that you cannot weight more than 500 pounds combined in a two person slide. Now some do weight you. Others (most fall in this territory) are more of a look like who is too heavy or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 11:08 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
Quote:
Including Caleb's brother, who rode with two adults moments before.
That poor kid. He will probably have survivor's guilt forever. Not to mention that he was witness to the complete carnage.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:17 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,558,694 times
Well, here it is...now we're getting somewhere in the "How" of "How did this happen?"

Kansas City Star:

"Physics and engineering experts on Tuesday questioned the wisdom of loading lighter passengers toward the front of the raft that slides down the Verrückt water slide while placing heavier riders toward the back....

Mariusz Ziejewski, a professor in the department of engineering and director of the Impact Biomechanics Laboratory at North Dakota State University, said a balanced weight distribution should be a priority for a ride like Verrückt. Too much weight positioned toward the back of the raft, he said, could push the front of the boat upward.
“You kind of have this catapult upwards,” Ziejewski said. “Maybe this was a contributing factor. That’s not good.”
If the raft goes airborne, passengers run the risk of hitting the netting and metal supports that cover the slide. Police have said Caleb was decapitated on the ride. Investigators on the day of the death removed a section of netting on the ride’s second slope.
The laws of physics dictate that the greater the weight of the raft, the greater momentum it would have as it reached the bottom of the first 168-foot drop and began its 50-foot ascent up the ride’s subsequent rise."

Experts question why Schlitterbahn put smallest Verrückt riders in front | The Kansas City Star

Old 08-17-2016, 05:50 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I went to disney world with a family member who was 5' 7" and over 300. She rode on a ton of rides. I don't think there was one that didn't accommodate her. She went on everything I went on.
Disney World doesn't have the record breaking type of coaster that I am referring to that you will find at Cedar Point, Six Flags, etc.

One of my friends couldn't ride Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point even though he wasn't overweight, just tall and athletic. His thighs were too big to allow the lap restraint to come down to the latched position.

Last edited by missik999; 08-17-2016 at 06:56 AM..

Old 08-17-2016, 06:55 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Even if the weight limit was met, the "restraints" did not do their job, and many stated they malfunctioned. Completely unacceptable. And I'm totally rolling my eyes at park officials trying to blame this poor boy, that he *must* have disobeyed the rules during the ride. Anything to avoid blame and the consequences.

Or life insurance. I've said the same every time these donation pages are started for people who likely would, or should, have life insurance. And yes, even for kids. This isn't some average middle-class family. He's a politician, a representative, so he's no regular Joe going without or struggling.
Kansas state legislators make $88 a day and only WHEN in session. That's less than a substitute teacher gets in just about every state in the country.

It was the family's church, whom they are very involved and active with, who started the page, not the family. People who know and care about them feel like they want to reach out, what is wrong with that? They set it up for church members and friends to donate, it's not like they are going out asking strangers to give them anything. Also the child's younger brother witnessed his sibling get decapitated, who knows how much help he will need to overcome that?

Btw, the two women were hurt too, one broke her jaw and the other has a broken bone in her face. It sounds like the boy's restraint came loose and allowed him to fly around, hurting the others in the raft (remember the raft was in an enclosed cylinder) and getting killed himself. Some there thought the boy was too skinny to have been allowed on the ride, so perhaps he just came out of the restraint because of that.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:28 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Disney World doesn't have the record breaking type of coaster that I am referring to that you will find at Cedar Point, Six Flags, etc.

One of my friends couldn't ride Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point even though he wasn't overweight, just tall and athletic. His thighs were too big to allow the lap restraint to come down to the latched position.
I was just fat enough to click the belt in but it would pull back far enough to be in the clear. Man, was I cheesed off about that. Luckily Kingda La in Six Flags Great Adventure had the overheads.
A few other rides gave me trouble, namely El Toro. Disney rides do not because most are made for bigger people for whatever reason.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:51 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I don't believe those weights are correct. I read an article earlier today that said they weighed in at 385 and the heaviest person was about 170.
Same here. I read it was 393.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:53 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
That makes a lot more sense to me. Not trying to be offensive to anyone but how likely is it that a 197 lb and/or a 275 lb woman is going to walk around in public wearing a bathing suit?
I have no issue walking my 230 around in a swimsuit! I'm a size 20; that's just fluffy.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:03 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
The discrepancies in weight are comparing the weight measured on the scales at the ride, vs. the weight recorded at the hospitals. So now they are going to have to test equipment and ride attendants for fault.

AP: "Police Monday released a report showing one rider at 140 pounds, another at 170, and an unclear weight for Caleb. He would have to weigh 90 pounds to make the trio's weight reach 400 pounds.

But police said weights taken at a hospital after the accident show one person weighed 275 pounds, another weighed 197 pounds and a third weighed 73 pounds, putting the combined weight at 545 pounds."
I heard that the initial weigh reports were incorrect because the police officers doing the original accident report just used the weights that the women had listed on their driver's license and guessed at the boy's weight. The higher numbers were their actual weights.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:06 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,558,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I heard that the initial weigh reports were incorrect because the police officers doing the original accident report just used the weights that the women had listed on their driver's license and guessed at the boy's weight. The higher numbers were their actual weights.
Thanks for explanation.
I wish I was still the weight on my Driver's License, lol.(8-year license). But I certainly didn't gain a hundred pounds.
I thought there was scales at the ride??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events