Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2016, 02:00 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Yeah, exactly. I weight 230 and my big ole butt would not make it 170 feet up umpteen dozens of stairs.
Of the water slides I've been on, the lines usually move pretty slowly. So you're not huffing it up 170 feet all at once, but rather walking up a few stairs every few minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 02:06 PM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
Kind of an interesting twist:

Ironically, the father (Kansas State Senator) voted AGAINST stricter park safety inspections.

sandrarose.com/2016/08/caleb-schwab-10-decapitated-on-worlds-tallest-water-slide

"The boys’ father, State Rep. Schwab, consistently voted against regulating big businesses. The lax regulations and
no height restriction for amusement park rides are the main reasons the park’s owners chose Kansas City to build their water slide.
“Our park in Kansas City doesn’t have a height restriction so we decided to put it right here,” said Jeff Henry, Verruckt creator and Schlitterbahn co-owner..."sandrarose.com/2016/08/caleb-schwab-10-decapitated-on-worlds-tallest-water-slide

I guessed that as soon as they said his dad was a Republican lawmaker. Deregulation of all businesses has long been part of the Republican party principles, but I sure do wonder if he feels differently now.
[CENTER]SaveSave[/CENTER]

Old 08-16-2016, 02:15 PM

1,166 posts, read 755,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I don't believe those weights are correct. I read an article earlier today that said they weighed in at 385 and the heaviest person was about 170.

That makes a lot more sense to me. Not trying to be offensive to anyone but how likely is it that a 197 lb and/or a 275 lb woman is going to walk around in public wearing a bathing suit?

Old 08-16-2016, 02:20 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Seems like with this type of ride, weight distribution would be important, especially since they do have weight requirements. Would having the front of the raft be so much lighter then the back also be a factor? It seems like the front of the raft would get a lot more air if the back was weighed down like that.

Of all the speculation on this thread, this is one of the most compelling comments. Could the raft have tipped up in the front, sending the kid up into the netting structure? I'm sure the police have interviewed the sisters on the ride, so they have a very clear picture of what happened. Maybe we will know someday.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:23 PM

1,166 posts, read 755,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I guessed that as soon as they said his dad was a Republican lawmaker. Deregulation of all businesses has long been part of the Republican party principles, but I sure do wonder if he feels differently now.
SaveSave
Living in Galt's Gulch is not so fun when it costs you your own son's life. The boy's father might not believe that government should be involved in ensuring the safety of the waterslide that killed his son, but he did support increased regulations on abortion clinics. So I guess he was not big on the whole "safety" aspect of safety regulations, just the "political safety" part.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:26 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Seems like with this type of ride, weight distribution would be important, especially since they do have weight requirements. Would having the front of the raft be so much lighter then the back also be a factor? It seems like the front of the raft would get a lot more air if the back was weighed down like that.
On water rides they normally place the lightest passenger in the front.

One of the first articles I read said that the passenger placement was correct. The victim's brother went down the slide immediately before the victim. The brother was in the front as well, placed on a raft with two other unrelated passengers.

The two boys had planned to ride together but were too light so they were each placed with unrelated passengers who were heavier.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:28 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
That makes a lot more sense to me. Not trying to be offensive to anyone but how likely is it that a 197 lb and/or a 275 lb woman is going to walk around in public wearing a bathing suit?
They actually make swimsuits in larger sizes. Imagine that?

Old 08-16-2016, 02:31 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,559,642 times
The discrepancies in weight are comparing the weight measured on the scales at the ride, vs. the weight recorded at the hospitals. So now they are going to have to test equipment and ride attendants for fault.

AP:

"Police Monday released a report showing one rider at 140 pounds, another at 170, and an unclear weight for Caleb. He would have to weigh 90 pounds to make the trio's weight reach 400 pounds.

But police said weights taken at a hospital after the accident show one person weighed 275 pounds, another weighed 197 pounds and a third weighed 73 pounds, putting the combined weight at 545 pounds."

Old 08-16-2016, 02:36 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
Not trying to be offensive to anyone but how likely is it that a 197 lb and/or a 275 lb woman is going to walk around in public wearing a bathing suit?
Have you never been to a public pool or water park? They're not just for the physically fit...

Old 08-16-2016, 02:42 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Yet this can't be the first time a child rode with two adults?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events