Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 01:20 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,296,465 times

Advertisements

Here is the story from the Daily Mail with more info

Ohio cops find boy on the street trying to sell his TEDDY BEAR in exchange for a meal | Daily Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 01:31 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,793,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes but its sad NO ONE HELPED HIM!! (They had to call a cop to help him)

Thats sad right there (But not surprising @ all)
Better to have called a cop, then the morgue wagon....

The kid obviously knew to avoid "Some people" but you are better off getting the law involved asap...

Old 08-13-2016, 01:37 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
I'm not buying her story. Maybe she did buy them new stuff but that kitchen is a mess from a long time not just a few days. It could be possible that she doesn't even realize how bad it looks because she's used to it but it shouldn't look like that. And what's with the cat urine smell the officer was talking about? I have one cat right now but at one time I had four. My place didn't stink. I changed the litter box frequently enough. And bugs? So who invited them?

I don't know, we've heard her side and the officer's side. I would like to hear the kid's side and why he did this. If he wanted food, why not just ask his mom for some? I guess it's up to the court to straighten it all out.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:08 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,457,534 times
This is disgusting and pisses me off

Old 08-13-2016, 05:03 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,407,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
But - they all had 'fresh kicks'!

Old 08-13-2016, 06:25 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,099,661 times
that kitchen has been messed up far longer than a few days let that fat pig live in that mess but don't let her have the kids living in that . I hope they make her go to parenting classes and have someone come and show her how to clean house . Who depends on their kids to clean their house please she is a pig plain and simple and dad is a pig too for putting up with that ...I bet that house smells too .

Old 08-13-2016, 07:14 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,256,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Ohio parents have been charged with child endangerment after police found their son alone trying to sell his teddy bear for food Sunday.

Police received a call when the seven-year-old was peddling his toy in front of a drug store, and he told police he hadn’t eaten in several days.

Officer Steve Dunham took the child to a nearby Subway to get something to eat, then brought him back to the Franklin Police Department.

After further investigation, police found that the child and his brothers were living in a home full of garbage, cat urine and liquor bottles.

Poor Kid, I hope they can find a family that can actually care for him..

Parents charged after boy found trying to sell teddy bear for food | KXAN.com

Vive, la economic recovery!

Old 08-13-2016, 08:50 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
That kid was helped more by calling the police rather than immediately feeding him. The police officer got to witness the child's actions and then make a determination. He also got to see how ravenous the child ate and talk to him in a more communicable manner. If the child had been fed before the police showed up, it may not have been taken as seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
There are any number of positives to be gained from this event.

Here's an example of a toddler's interaction with a cop bringing nothing but a good result for him. That will remain in his memory bank.

Other people reading about this will think of the couple with children down the block who haven't been seen outdoors for months but who get regular taxi deliveries dropped off and cause them to wonder "are we ignoring something that could result in a child being harmed?"

Family watching TV together listening to this news will immediately think of relative Frank and his wife they see some similarities with the story and give them a call to enquire "how ya doing?" If getting a drunken drawling answer perhaps the next call to relevant authorities might save another child from permanent harm.

The little guy has no idea how his immeasurable courage is going to forever ripple across society's surface.
Great points.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:17 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,501,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
You're right. I cannot tell you how many stories I have read in the local paper about children being removed from a home filled with garbage and feces. A couple of years ago there was a couple that had their elementary school children taken away because they were neglected to the point where their teeth had all but rotted out of their mouths. And there are so many stories that don't make the papers.

Kudos to the officer for showing him a kind word and a meal, and getting those kids out of that awful house.
Some renters next door to me were arrested for child endangerment. The paper said the walls were smeared with feces. I saw the woman at the store a few months later and the kids were with her, I assume living with her again.

Another woman who worked at the c-store near me was arrested for driving drunk and trying to evade police with her toddler in the car. I saw her with her kids again within a year. I was thinking, why is she even out of jail let alone having custody of her kids already?

I understand people make mistakes and most deserve a second chance, but I often wonder if it's too easy to regain custody. How much progress can the woman whose walls were smeared with feces make in a couple of months? How many parenting classes could she have completed in that time?

And those are just the people I was acquainted with. Like you said, there are often stories in the paper. And you know there are plenty of others out there who never get caught.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:02 AM

5,793 posts, read 5,113,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Ohio parents have been charged with child endangerment after police found their son alone trying to sell his teddy bear for food Sunday.

Police received a call when the seven-year-old was peddling his toy in front of a drug store, and he told police he hadn’t eaten in several days.

Officer Steve Dunham took the child to a nearby Subway to get something to eat, then brought him back to the Franklin Police Department.

After further investigation, police found that the child and his brothers were living in a home full of garbage, cat urine and liquor bottles.

Poor Kid, I hope they can find a family that can actually care for him..

Parents charged after boy found trying to sell teddy bear for food | KXAN.com
Wait...help the parents become better parents? I think these idiots who brought these kids to this world are beyond help. They need to be sterilized and put away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events