Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 10:43 AM

7,082 posts, read 8,952,388 times

Advertisements

I live in the area and the city of Franklin is the armpit of Warren County, there is widespread heroin use and out of control crime, it's a white trash redneck wonderland, complete with bank robberies, car theft, teenagers stealing firearms out of parked cars and this candidate for stepmother of the year.

Funeral services today for Franklin child who was scalded | www.whio.com

And then there is this...

Jury to visit site of Franklin murder | Dayton, Ohio Crime | www.daytondailynews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 01:38 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
They investigate before placing kids with family members. It's not 100% but the kids are now in the system. This is the best case scenario in this situation. So they will be checked on and monitored and the parents likely won't have access to them until they have met many legally mandated changes. If they are ever allowed at all.

True.

These days most child welfare agencies would rather place removed children with a family member as first option over "strangers". This provided of course household chosen can pass inspection/meet requirements.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I'm not buying her story. Maybe she did buy them new stuff but that kitchen is a mess from a long time not just a few days. It could be possible that she doesn't even realize how bad it looks because she's used to it but it shouldn't look like that. And what's with the cat urine smell the officer was talking about? I have one cat right now but at one time I had four. My place didn't stink. I changed the litter box frequently enough. And bugs? So who invited them?

I don't know, we've heard her side and the officer's side. I would like to hear the kid's side and why he did this. If he wanted food, why not just ask his mom for some? I guess it's up to the court to straighten it all out.

This some kind of piece of woman pulled the standard rant from any mother who is called out as "unfit".

Maybe it is booze and or drugs, their being abused themselves or whatever but whenever the harsh spot light of public scrutiny is shone upon the situation this is a common reaction.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:44 PM

Coming late to this story as only having just read it online earlier, and it made me sick to my stomach. The thought of a poor wee child not only wondering the streets hungry but trying to sell the one thing he held dear for food just got to me.

While am thrilled the seven year old and his siblings were "saved", the sad reality is there are hundreds if not thousands more children in the USA in similar conditions.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Some renters next door to me were arrested for child endangerment. The paper said the walls were smeared with feces. I saw the woman at the store a few months later and the kids were with her, I assume living with her again.

Another woman who worked at the c-store near me was arrested for driving drunk and trying to evade police with her toddler in the car. I saw her with her kids again within a year. I was thinking, why is she even out of jail let alone having custody of her kids already?

I understand people make mistakes and most deserve a second chance, but I often wonder if it's too easy to regain custody. How much progress can the woman whose walls were smeared with feces make in a couple of months? How many parenting classes could she have completed in that time?

And those are just the people I was acquainted with. Like you said, there are often stories in the paper. And you know there are plenty of others out there who never get caught.

Sad and disgusting thing about the United States is that in most jurisdictions children are still regarded as the unique property of their parents. Courts and child welfare agencies often operate out of some Victorian notion children belong with their parents, and that any mother not matter how slattern can be "rehabilitated".

Flip side to this is that once the state steps in they become responsible for any outcome. It is not unheard of for removed children to suffer the same or even worse horror in foster, orphanage, or whatever placement.

The process of termination of parental rights varies by state law. Some places roll with the parent should have had their act together before having children and don't play. Others focus on eventual family reunification as the primary goal, as such it can take years if ever before termination takes place.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:47 PM

19,818 posts, read 9,381,719 times
Regarding the mom's angry rant:

So who are you going to believe? A mom who admits she has been under the watch of CPS for some time, or a seven-year-old trying to sell his teddy bear to get something to eat? And why did she have, by her own admission, 20 kids at her house that day?

And, of course, she is threatening to sue. And how much to you want to bet that she will, if she hasn't already, tried to solicit money from GoFundMe?

Oh, and btw, my house is not always picture perfect, but NEVER has my kitchen looked like that!

People who can't or won't properly care for children shouldn't have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events